Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,790,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
Commission based food service. The good will survive and thrive, the bad will have to find another industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Okay, so let's say the price goes up to $30. Restaurants start having to close. Employees lose their jobs.
If that's the argument, then you must think there should be no minimum wages at all. I can accept that argument, even if I disagree with it.

Quote:
Current law guarantees all employees at least the minimum wage for non-tipped employees. If the difference between the wage and the minimum wage for non-tipped employees isn't made up in tips, the employer has to pay it.
Are you sure that's the law in every state? It sure wasn't the law 20+ years ago when I was working for slave wages in a restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Commission based food service. The good will survive and thrive, the bad will have to find another industry.
Hmm. Interesting idea. I'll have to think about that one.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,398,744 times
Quote:
If that's the argument, then you must think there should be no minimum wages at all. I can accept that argument, even if I disagree with it.
I don't think there should be no minimum wages at all. I think they should be set entirely by states and I wouldn't support an increase in my state's minimum wage, but I don't think there should be no minimum wage.

I simply think that making the minimum wage a "living wage" is a terrible idea.

I am not a fan of extremes either way.

Quote:
Are you sure that's the law in every state? It sure wasn't the law 20+ years ago when I was working for slave wages in a restaurant.
It's federal law I believe.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's federal law I believe.
Thanks. You're right. I can't find information about when that change was made, but at least I found information about the requirement.

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips? (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm - broken link)

I bet many conservatives argued against that requirement.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,051,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Good little Republican <pat on the head> now go back to listening to Rush.

Anarchist. And I don't watch TV or Rush. Now shove that in your pipe and smoke it.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,304,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'd love to see the Republican utopia where all of this happens...Nobody has a 'regular job' because they are all crapped on by the uber-rich overlords and everyone in society has pissed 100-300k down the toilet to get a degree.

ROFL, really its so funny its sad. Just go get 'higher-level' skills and if you don't then you should just suffer and die for not being smart or motivated enough. Meanwhile, 80% of the people doing that cannot find jobs! Only in Republican world does this make sense!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,304,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Anarchist. And I don't watch TV or Rush. Now shove that in your pipe and smoke it.
Like I said...good little Republican <pat on the head>

Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,164,890 times
Quote:
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
I don't know, the gals with the tight buns and large ballons do pretty well in a night at Texas Roudhouse. $4 at this table...$7 at this one...$5 at that one...$10 at this one. Hell, what do they clear in a good night? I bet they are making more than the guy at the sawmill. Just a hunch!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 8,484,317 times
Quote:
It's interesting how conservatives are constantly arguing that low-wage workers are making too much money, isn't it? There's a real mean streak in these people.
It's not meanness, just stupidity ... brainwashed with propaganda just like the left is.

If I've said this once, I've said it 1000 times .... the left are brainwashed with one set of ideological points and the right another. Neither side makes any sense, but both sides combined make for a disaster of epic proportions.

And it is extremism versus extremism ... the left want cradle to grave hand outs and guaranteed outcomes, while the right, in a predictable response, oppose all of it, in whatever form ... even in the cases where certain mandatory standards and requirements make sense and are necessary. But that's what you get when you have extremism ruling ... the voice of reason is always down out.

I'm a conservative, and I believe in having a minimum wage set to a livable figure, whatever that might be per region of employment. To hell with this "tip" business making up the wage shortfall ... customers are paying for the product ... build in the cost of those wages into the price like every other business does. Tips should be a bonus for exceptional performance, not an obligatory donation from the customer to make up for what the employer SHOULD be responsible for. With that said, I understand that under the current structure of the system now, mandatory livable wage requirements won't fix the problems, and will likely just make the problems worse.

At the same time, I don't believe any wage earner should be paying a single penny of income tax on their hourly wages ... doing so turns them into slaves for whatever period of time they have to work to pay that tax. Income should be based on the historical definition of income, which is profit from doing business. By that definition, wages are not income, but simply an equal exchange of an hour of time for an agreed to dollar amount. There is no profit in an equal exchange.

If taxes were collected only from profits ... several good things would be realized ...

1) no more BS about the wealthy not paying their fair share, as they'd be paying most of the tax burden, as it should be. They'd have two choices .. reinvest some of that profit into business expansion and new job creation to reduce their tax burden, or pay more taxes. No more shelters and loop holes and Cayman Island bank accounts, etc.

2) Wage earners would have more disposable income to spend, increasing economic activity, leading to more business opportunity, more business profits, and thus, more tax revenue.

3) Government would not facilitate the off shore movement of corporate manufacturing activity, since that would be a significant reduction in tax revenue for government, and therefore more jobs would remain here at home, significantly boosting our economic prosperity.

4) This would also make the best economic sense in forcing government to live within it's means, rather than continue to increase taxes to cover overspending, which obviously leads to huge debt accumulation, oppressive taxes, and ultimately, economic decline. If the government were forced to collect it's revenue from "profits" only ... government policies would be fashioned to maximize economic prosperity in order to increase it's revenue.

5) This growth in economic activity would naturally boost wages too. Wages are just like anything else .. driven by supply and demand. In a contracting economy, with more workers than there are jobs to fill, wages go down. When there are more jobs to fill than there are workers to fill them, wages go up. That's why major corporations and companies with large employee bases LOVE high unemployment. But guess what .. if corporations were actually being tagged for the appropriate level of taxes, they'd not try to cut wages and salaries to the bone if those "savings" didn't go straight into their greedy pockets, but owed in taxes instead.

The whole system needs to be repaired ... just raising or lowering minimum wage figures isn't really going to fix anything. In a nutshell, the system is designed to fail for the majority, while only benefiting the few, rather than structured for success for everyone.

JFK said it best ... "If a free society can not help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich". This is particularly applicable to economics ... a system that becomes so lopsided as we are seeing today where the top 1% are realizing gains of obscene proportions, while the bottom 90% are suffering ... this will progress from increased poverty, to dreadful despair, to violent and bloody revolution, as it has done time after time throughout history.

And we never seem to learn.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 AM

521 posts, read 464,970 times
Does it matter? These jobs are for teens and college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies