Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
According to the article, "the bill would slash Florida's minimum wage for tipped workers - now $4.65 an hour - to the federal tipped minimum of $2.13 for companies that agree to guarantee that with wages and tips their employees will make at least $9.98 an hour."
The question is what is the average with tips now? It probably is higher than $9.98. Will the restaurants lower their prices accordingly? I doubt it.

If all things remain equal and the workers are making $2.52 more than the $9.98 guaranteed rate then they are making $12.50 an hour. Hardly a wage that is considered excessive as it translates to $26,000 per year.

Labor needs to step up and be heard. Over the past two decades we accelerated the transfer of jobs to the service sector. Now that the majority of jobs are there and there aren't enough good paying jobs left to drive consumption. We are in the vicious cycle of driving the labor costs down in the service sector to increase consumption of services. If no one gets paid for the job they do who will be consuming when the cost reaches zero?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
Ever hear of tips?

Nobody needs a "minimum wage". An employee worth his/her salt will advance beyond an entry level job.

Minimum wage laws have the effect of eliminating many entry level positions, employers hiring only those with more experience. This hurts those just entering the workforce with no experience by making it difficult to find work.

Your post is typical leftist demagoguery, rhetoric designed to make it seem as though employers will only pay any of their workforce minimum wage.

Shame on you for perpetuating this lie.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
So basically, the employers expect a handout from me to keep their employee's happy? I guess I will not be tipping anymore then.

Let it all come down then.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The wingnuts would have all of us working without the protection of a minimum wage law. You know, those regulations just hinder companies from their goal, PROFITS FOR SHAREHOLDERS.
Same old tired rhetoric! Why don't you learn something?

The simple truth that people like you don't seem to (or want to) grasp is that if an employer were to be so mean and cruel to their employees, how long do you think they would stay in business? Who would work for them?

Experienced, skilled, hard working employees do not need "protection" [of minimum wage laws].

Secondly, a person goes into business to make a profit, and if it is a publicly owned company (sells stock), those shareholders (part owners) who have invested their money, deserve and expect a return on their investment.

You need to "wrap your head around" (you leftists love that expression) that concept. It's what grows business, creates jobs, and therefor taxpayers.

Why is this such a hard concept for leftists? Without taxpayers, how would government support all the leftist causes and hand outs you all seem to be so fond of?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Thumbs up Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I make significantly higher income than minimum wage. Why? Is my employer more charitable? Do I work for my mom?

No.

It is because the value of what I can do commands the money I make. My employer could not hire someone competent for less money. Sure, they could go offer some teenager minimum wage to do my job, but they'd be wholly unable to do so.

What is my point?

Everything has a natural value. An ounce of gold costs what it costs because it's worth what it's worth. An hour of my labor is worth more than minimum wage. But what if an hour of somebodies labor is not? Artifically increasing the cost when compared to the value manipulates the market, and increases unemployment.

Just as you would not buy something if you thought it was too expensive, neither will employers.
Dang! Very well stated! But this is too hard for lefties to grasp. They aren't smart enough to understand such a simple concept of "value for value".

You are spot on!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
When an employer pays a substandard wage who do you think it hurts?

EVERYONE OF US, every taxpayer is going to have to fund the shortfall between what the cheapskate employer pays and what it costs to survive, don't supply health care benefits? They head down to the ER for costly medical care. Don't pay enough to buy food? They'll just apply for food stamps. Don't pay enough for housing? They'll apply for section 8. Don't pay enough for them to owe federal taxes? Good, they qualify for earned income credit.

Ending the cycle of poverty BEGINS with employers paying a living wage to ALL their employees, not just the inhabitants of the board room.
A "living wage" is hard to define. A "living wage" to one, may include that new car.

A "minimum wage" was never intended to be a "living wage". It is for entry level positions.

I'd prefer that there not be a "minimum wage". I think all wages should be left up to the employer to decide based on the value of the position, the skill required and the level of education or work experience required.

As one product competes with various other brands, so also do employees compete. That is how a free market works. You don't need a "minimum wage." Valuable employees will always earn what they are worth. If their employer cannot or will not compensate them for value received, that employee is free to (and probably will) leave for a job that pays what their skills and knowledge are worth.

The other side of that coin is that employers compete for the best employees as well. Therefore, it is in their interest to pay wages in accordance with the market, or they will not find employees willing to work for them.

Lazy people want a "minimum wage."

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 AM

Default Minimum work = minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yeppp only wingnuts....to bad all the dems also voted for it...

Florida House Of Representatives - HB 7201 - Economic Development (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=44580 - broken link)

But hey....whatever it takes to slam a repub before doing a little research....
I get the feeling that some of these retards are not willing to work hard enough to get beyond minimum wage.

Minimum work = minimum wage.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM

Default Employees are not "shareholders."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
That is their goal. PS. You're a shareholder of a corporation too.
An employee is not a "shareholder" unless a company offers a profit sharing plan as part of their benefits package (and many do).

Unless such a program exists, the employee receives wages/salary for work performed. That is their compensation. They are not "part owner", and as such have not rights beyond that compensation.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
The minimum wage should be zero.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Does it matter? These jobs are for teens and college students.
You don't know about Florida then.

These jobs are occupied by men and women well into their 40's and 50's. A lot of money to be made from tips.

There were servers who reported over 150K lost from the BP disaster on the coast, and had the numbers to back it up.

McGuires pub, here in Destin and Pensacola is a sought after job because servers often make between 70K and low six figures, mainly from tips.

Don't assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies