Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It’s 1965 and you’re a 26-year-old white guy. You have a factory job, or maybe you work for an insurance broker. Either way, you’re married, probably have been for a few years now; you met your wife in high school, where she was in your sister’s class. You’ve already got one kid, with another on the way. For now, you’re renting an apartment in your parents’ two-family house, but you’re saving up for a three-bedroom ranch house in the next town. Yup, you’re an adult!
Now meet the twenty-first-century you, also 26. You’ve finished college and work in a cubicle in a large Chicago financial-services firm. You live in an apartment with a few single guy friends. In your spare time, you play basketball with your buddies, download the latest indie songs from iTunes, have some fun with the Xbox 360, take a leisurely shower, massage some product into your hair and face—and then it’s off to bars and parties, where you meet, and often bed, girls of widely varied hues and sizes. They come from everywhere: California, Tokyo, Alaska, Australia. Wife? Kids? House? Are you kidding?
Child-Man in the Promised Land by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Winter 2008

Big can of worms here. What do you all think? Are men now in an extended adolescence?

heh....I said "extended"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I agree, but to say that is a phenomenon relegated to males is absurd.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
I'm a baby boomer (1953) and at 26 the last thing I and many of my male friends wanted was a wife, kids and mortgage.

Actually we bought our homes/townhomes/condos, but as singles, and had no desire to share it with someone who thought "it's time to settle down".

Living in a large city (Houston) during the '70s and '80s it was pretty much, as the story in the OP states, ..."off to bars and parties, where you meet, and often bed, girls of widely varied hues and sizes. They come from everywhere: California, Tokyo, Alaska, Australia....."

Feminism wasn't all bad, ya' know.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Big can of worms here. What do you all think? Are men now in an extended adolescence?

Back in 1965 most people didn't go to college like they do today, and back then a high school diploma was worth more than a bachelor's degree is today. Back in 1965, a man could support himself and a family off the money he made at the factory needing only a high school diploma. Today, it takes 2-3 roommates just to make ends meet in an entry level job that REQUIRES a bachelor's degree. Plus, there is the factor of the ongoing recession and many twenty-somethings still living with their parents because they are unable to find work. Tens of thousands in debt for a college education that means absolutely nothing.

So yeah, extended adolescence is a real thing, but it is the result of this economy and the devaluation of higher education.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Quote:

You're me, a male, it's 2012, you're reading this thread late at night that talks about something like the median age of marriage. You take the 10 seconds it takes to look up the historical age of marriage data that you can easily find online. You realize how pointless the article is given that in 1890 the median age for marriage for a man was 26. It's now 28. Big change.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:

No, but if you want to see some examples, please stop by the relationship folder for some real eye openers.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:

....you said extended

YES,DEFINATELY!!

You cannot hire a young guy to do a "man's" job anymore...they just flat out refuse to do it.

Out of a dozen or more nephews,I have ONE working a man's job in the coal mines,married and doesn't even have a game console of any kind( I likes the GTA myself)...he fishes and hunts with me,I've taught him to weld and run equipment and he used those skills to get a fair paying job in the real world.

The rest? Either they still live at home in their 20's or group up with 10 other deadbeats to pay the rent in a run down shack where they play video games around the clock,play in bands that NEVER play outside of the house and live on Doritos and soda..IF they work,it's at a minimum wage no skill job where they can be replaced at a seconds notice by the other 10 million applications in the employer's drawer..I've offered all of them the same chance and they all turned me down on learning sellable job skills,but wanted me to teach them to play guitar...screw u....if a robber broke into their home,they would give him their girlfriend to keep him from stealing their XBox.

I would hate to be a women in my 20's looking for a good mate because the pickings are slim.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Boy,you aren't getting many bites on this one are ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies