U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Murphy, TX
641 posts, read 2,602,980 times
Reputation: 429

Advertisements

Seriously, looking at when Republicans or Democrats were in power in White House or Congress, their policies seems fairly similar. Obama honestly just seems a bit different then Bush, some of the policies seem exactly the same. Now looking at Republican front runner, Mitt Romney, he sure seems closer enough to Obama. And no matter who controls congress it seems as useless as ever!

Republicans and Democrats will quick scream about how different they are from each other but words seems to be about all that is different. For example, Democrats might complain about Bushs anti-freedom polices but then Obama happily signed that NDAA. Meanwhile Republicans yell about Obama's war on religion but I don't see churches getting raid by the US army or anything else major. Religious people are living their lives just about same as under Bush!

At end of day, I most people lives will not change drastically just because of Democrats/Republicans. I don't think any administration has made major transformation in Americans lives. Which probably why voter turn is at best 60%. Honestly, some times I fail to see point in voting myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 618,617 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Seriously, looking at when Republicans or Democrats were in power in White House or Congress, their policies seems fairly similar. Obama honestly just seems a bit different then Bush, some of the policies seem exactly the same. Now looking at Republican front runner, Mitt Romney, he sure seems closer enough to Obama. And no matter who controls congress it seems as useless as ever!

Republicans and Democrats will quick scream about how different they are from each other but words seems to be about all that is different. For example, Democrats might complain about Bushs anti-freedom polices but then Obama happily signed that NDAA. Meanwhile Republicans yell about Obama's war on religion but I don't see churches getting raid by the US army or anything else major. Religious people are living their lives just about same as under Bush!

At end of day, I most people lives will not change drastically just because of Democrats/Republicans. I don't think any administration has made major transformation in Americans lives. Which probably why voter turn is at best 60%. Honestly, some times I fail to see point in voting myself!
I agree with what you are saying but not your conclusion. It's true they are mostly similar but that doesn't mean it isn't worth voting.

First, "mostly" doesn't mean "completely". The Republican party is bad, but it's still better than the Democrat party.

Second, occasionally you do get exceptional candidates that end up making a real difference, for good or bad. Obama is one of them. So was Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
 
563 posts, read 678,623 times
Reputation: 334
Have you not yet realized that both parties are in general bought and paid for by the same lobbyists and organizations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
 
10,783 posts, read 11,816,264 times
Reputation: 4794
Both left and right are leading the nation into corporatist fascism. The GOP has their foot to the floor and wants to get us there as fast is possible, while the democrats are dragging their feet with still some fighting for liberty, they're still going down the same path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Murphy, TX
641 posts, read 2,602,980 times
Reputation: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
I agree with what you are saying but not your conclusion. It's true they are mostly similar but that doesn't mean it isn't worth voting.

First, "mostly" doesn't mean "completely". The Republican party is bad, but it's still better than the Democrat party.

Second, occasionally you do get exceptional candidates that end up making a real difference, for good or bad. Obama is one of them. So was Reagan.
I really don't think there that much of difference that can say Republicans are always better than Democrats or vice versa. Sometimes one does a bit better sometimes the other party does bit better.

I don't think Obama or Reagan made a real difference. I yet to President do something that made me say they are going to completely change my live around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
 
51,661 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Reputation: 32268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Both left and right are leading the nation into corporatist fascism. The GOP has their foot to the floor and wants to get us there as fast is possible, while the democrats are dragging their feet with still some fighting for liberty, they're still going down the same path.
You mean like when Clinton signed NAFTA? Yeah, the Dems are *really* dragging their feet.

Well at least Hillary and the dems cracked down on oil company profits. Oh wait. Lies too.

They are the SAME party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,223,537 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Have you not yet realized that both parties are in general bought and paid for by the same lobbyists and organizations?
Not really quite true. You can see in donation records that there are definite differences.
Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets

The unions, especially public sector ones, tend to donate 90% or better to democrats. The American Federation of Teachers (#11 on this list) donated 90% to D's, 0% to R's. Presumably the 10 pct went to Greens, independents, or perhaps people running as nominally 'non partisan.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,223,537 times
Reputation: 7950
I don't expect a lot out of the Republican party. Until we can crack some of the problems inherent in democratic systems, any party operating within our system will produce less than satisfying results. For example there is the problem of 'concentrated costs/diffuse benefits' which tends to produce higher taxes and spending than the electorate really supports.

I see the Republicans as a brake on the downhill slide. We're still going downhill, just at a slower rate than places such as France and Great Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: NC
586 posts, read 514,653 times
Reputation: 275
75% of conservatives suck
90% of liberals suck
+/-5%

Source: me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
6,899 posts, read 4,400,070 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
[ Seriously, looking at when Republicans or Democrats were in power in White House or Congress, their policies seems fairly similar. Obama honestly just seems a bit different then Bush, some of the policies seem exactly the same. Now looking at Republican front runner, Mitt Romney, he sure seems closer enough to Obama. And no matter who controls congress it seems as useless as ever!
I think this quote sums it up best:

"When the light and cameras are on the two parties will fight like the bitterest of enemies but when the cameras and lights are off they f*** like minks."
Matt Taibbi
Rollingstone magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top