Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

NPR should not be receiving 440 million dollars from the taxpayers. We have better things to do with our money like not spending what we don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
NPR should not be receiving 440 million dollars from the taxpayers. We have better things to do with our money like not spending what we don't have.
I disagree. I think it is a great use of my money.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrusher View Post
And what's with the weird accent on their BBC news segments???
You mean the British reporters with their British accents?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's about the cost of 2 hours of war, deaths of innocent people not included.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-13-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
According to my quick search, NPR receives no direct federal government grant funding.

Please cite a reliable source showing USD 440M coming from the federal government to NPR in a recent budget year.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default I became an NPR fan...

A few years ago.

Each morning as I get up and have a cup of coffee and get ready for work, I like to have the radio on so I can catch up the news. For years, I tuned into a local "News station" on AM that was pretty good with national and local news. But then they slowly got to the point where they'd have 5 min of news followed by 5 min of LOUD OBNOXIOUS commercials. And every 5 min, they'd repeat the same LOUD OBNOXIOUS commercials.

I got sick of it real quick.

Now, I keep my clock radio tuned to the local NPR station. Each morning they give a straight-up account of the news and the never have LOUD OBNOXIOUS commercials assaulting me.

I don't listen to much besides the morning news, but it's SO much better than the commercial stations in this area.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I disagree. I think it is a great use of my money.
Me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
A few years ago.

Each morning as I get up and have a cup of coffee and get ready for work, I like to have the radio on so I can catch up the news. For years, I tuned into a local "News station" on AM that was pretty good with national and local news. But then they slowly got to the point where they'd have 5 min of news followed by 5 min of LOUD OBNOXIOUS commercials. And every 5 min, they'd repeat the same LOUD OBNOXIOUS commercials.

I got sick of it real quick.

Now, I keep my clock radio tuned to the local NPR station. Each morning they give a straight-up account of the news and the never have LOUD OBNOXIOUS commercials assaulting me.

I don't listen to much besides the morning news, but it's SO much better than the commercial stations in this area.
Ditto! I have a 10-12 minute drive. On commercial radio, sometimes that would be all commercials. I often miss the NPR news, but they have really good stories.

I like PHC, esp. the news from Lake Woebegone.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Me, too!

Ditto! I have a 10-12 minute drive. On commercial radio, sometimes that would be all commercials. I often miss the NPR news, but they have really good stories.

I like PHC, esp. the news from Lake Woebegone.
It's the only station I have tuned in on my car radio.

Personally, I like the PHC stories about the Lutheran church and the Guy Noir detective stories.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I only get PHC by podcast.

I was taking a 6-hour train ride yesterday and listened to the most recent APR/NPR offerings: Wait, Wait; This American Life; PHC; What Do You Know?; The Splendid Table and some Firesign Theatre that I haven't heard in years.

It was a wonderful listening day.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That's one thing I love! Actually, they lost their sound effects guy recently, and in a later show they "featured" him speaking from the afterlife, putting down Garrison.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going for a bit of ketchup, to brighten my day.
I, too, find ketchup an invigorating boost to my day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies