Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I'm not worried about myself.

I guess I heard of a court case in which a person was in his/her house naked, but could be seen from the street and somehow the judgment went against the guy in the house because you are expected to keep views like that away from the public.
I remember that case being discussed here on this forum. Someone can search for it if they care too. The guy was on his own property but there was a school bus stop right in front of his house and the kids could see him nude. He was charged with a crime but I don't recall the outcome of the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Quote:
Is this one of the advantages of living in the City? In our home in NJ we would make sure all the blinds were in the right direction when we got dressed and undressed.

Do you think all cities are this way? A British friend of ours was somewhat shocked to see this, but we never questioned him because it was unusual for us, that time, as well.
I don't know if it is an advantage or not - alas, it's just one less thing to worry about. I lived on the fifth floor and could see directly into the apartment across the street - just like they could see directly into my building. In the many years that I lived there, I don't think I ever met anyone who thought anything of it.

I do know that this seems to be a phenomenon that is confined to NYC. I've lived in many large cities around the globe (including some EU ones) and have never seen such overt nonchalance in this particular matter.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Our soceity has linked everything with sex, Playboy is seen as taboo, sex education in school is taboo, give me a break. Its not like one day the Sex Ed teacher was passing out cucumbers to girls and giving out lotion to boys. If I had a hot chick neighbor or a 400lb girl who walked around their house naked so be it, who cares its my fault for looking and yeah I'd look anyway. Once Tommy Lee drove a boat with his johnson it was ruined for every man who told their wife that size was measured in centimeters.

Live and let live.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I do know that this seems to be a phenomenon that is confined to NYC. I've lived in many large cities around the globe (including some EU ones) and have never seen such overt nonchalance in this particular matter.
I have. I used to go to Chicago on a fairly regular basis and If I was staying on the lakefront I'd ask for a room overlooking the city, not the lake. Once it gets dark you can't see the lake but looking west there was a LOT of free entertainment. Still laughing at some of the things I saw.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
If i choose to be nude in my own home which is big, catch me by the window if you can, we have over 45 windows in my home. I will be, but not with the shutters open, for all to see.

I am not a display for all the perverts to check out, and there are many.

As far as what others choose to do, i cannot help if they want to be nude for the world to see, i don't.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

I used to wonder what all those telescopes were for in NY friend's apartments. I thought they were astronomy buffs - and remember the telescope in Seinfeld? Naive me.
remember that astronomy buffs are always on the look out for "heavenly bodies".

Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And it is all being filmed by high flying drones, Google earth, etc... .
as long as they cut me in on the pay per view profits I'm ok with THAT!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
No, not politics, money.
These apartments/condos that I have seen are not cheap. I think the folks inside are well heeled and probably travel a bit more than your average citizen. I think that perhaps, the extra money to spread your wings and examine the world brings with it an expanded philosophy. I also believe money often changes things and people.

I think people who get a really big windfall and are broke shortly after - well, part of the reason for that is that they could not change. They hung on to old attitudes that served them well when they were broke. It's easy to give all you have to a neighbor when you have nothing. I think when you learn to manage your money you also end up changing the way you see the world.

Yes, people who have more probably do think differently, on the whole, than those who have less.
This has absolutely nothing to do with nudity. Please explain how "the 5%" (POLITICAL) and "the 95%" (POLITICAL) have anything to do with nudity. Being naked doesn't cost anything, and I know many people who aren't wealthy who partake in recreational activities in the nude.

And furthermore, why is it any of your business what their attitude is, how much money they have, or how they got that apartment? It's not like you've met these people and actually talked to them. You're just making up a supposition based on the price of their living quarters?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
As I saw in another forum, "Why are you (me) afraid of the natural human body?" Born naked, gonna die naked, too. I love the feeling in the spring/summer of breezes blowing across my skin, all of it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Why are people so ashamed of the human body? Its a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies