Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times

Advertisements

So why doesn't the US clean up its own mess in Laos from its illegal bombing campaigns during the 60s, many bombings of which were simply orders from command to dispose of payload and not even to bomb enemies. 100 people in Laos die every year from US bombs left behind and thousands of people, including many children have been maimed and dismembered because the US never helped properly clean up its own mess. People getting injured these days are simply some of the poorest people in the world simply tryin to farm their land for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Does the OP have an example of any country that has gone in and cleaned up all their bombs after the war was over?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Does the OP have an example of any country that has gone in and cleaned up all their bombs after the war was over?

France. They've had deminier teams in the field for decades, cleaning up the unexploded ordnance from wars as far back as the Franco-Prussian War. At today's rate of disposal, France is destined to be munitions free in....about 200 years.

Vietnam: They used former ARVN soldiers to clear out left over booby traps and unexploded munitions as a part of their "re-education" after the American War.

In regards to Laos, those "bombies" really are a problem, but it's unfair to suggest that they are all American. They are not.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I was in Pongsavanh a few years ago. (Spelling varies)
It's home of a very wonderful site called the Plain of Jars. 12 The Plain of Jars, Phongsavanh, Lao Peoples Dem Rep

You can only walk in a few areas, bordered by ropes because of the number of US bombs dropped there during the Vietnam War to release their payload before returning to Thailand.

It's disgusting.
I have photos of some of the bombs recovered on my other computer.

Lots of Lao die because of this.
Yes, we should clean up our mess and pay for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Exactly what war was the US ever in with Laos, a war in which we were justified in dropping more bombs on Laos than we did on all of Europe during WWII? Many of these bombings were illegal, in fact they didn't even have the approval of Congress. The fact of the matter is that it is clearly our responsibility to clean up the atrocious mess we left in a country that was completely neutral during the Vietnam War. Funny how conservative pro American Christians dont want to do what is morally right if it involves taking a bit of blame for any wrong doings by their own country.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Exactly what war was the US ever in with Laos, a war in which we were justified in dropping more bombs on Laos than we did on all of Europe during WWII? Many of these bombings were illegal, in fact they didn't even have the approval of Congress. The fact of the matter is that it is clearly our responsibility to clean up the atrocious mess we left in a country that was completely neutral during the Vietnam War. Funny how conservative pro American Christians dont want to do what is morally right if it involves taking a bit of blame for any wrong doings by their own country.
I never suggested the US was in a war with Laos. My question was clear. I am looking for precident of the country who dropped bombs going back and cleaning them up after the fact. I was not making an arguement one way or the other, only seeking information.

Who doesn't want to do what is morally right? Do you have anything to back up that claim that no Conservative pro-Americans do or are you just trolling?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 AM

323 posts, read 321,541 times
Yes us Americans have other problems to deal with like Iran!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
Yes us Americans have other problems to deal with like Iran!
Yes, why clean up our messes in the rest of the world when we can start new ones.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, why clean up our messes in the rest of the world when we can start new ones.

why should we clean it up at all? also, why should we get involved in other countries problems.

just get out of other countries political processes and problems and bring the troops home. there is no need for the USA to be the worlds policeman.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
I never suggested the US was in a war with Laos. My question was clear. I am looking for precident of the country who dropped bombs going back and cleaning them up after the fact. I was not making an arguement one way or the other, only seeking information.

Who doesn't want to do what is morally right? Do you have anything to back up that claim that no Conservative pro-Americans do or are you just trolling?
Those who think we need a precedent to do the right thing?

Last edited by burdell; 02-14-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies