Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And that was how many years ago? $600 is about what they were charging when I did my ob clinical in 1969! $2500 for the hospital services? That sounds about like 1969 prices, too.

And what if, per chance, you have a preemie? Millions of dollars in care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
1984 a little off but that's OK! will not hold it against you. it is actually the same amount if you count inflation 2500 then equals bout 7000 now!!
How about you answer the other question Katiana asked you?

What would you have done if your newborn had required a million dollars worth of medical care to survive?

Should we, as a society, have allowed your child to die because YOU couldn't pay the bill?

And remember, when you chose to have a child you knew that there was a chance that it could be born needing expensive medical care.....that would be a chance YOU decided to take.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I'm noticing a pattern in this country. The same people who support the GOP also support limiting or fully taking away womens and minority rights. They are for big profits for corporations and believe in low wages. They want poor people to have lots of children just like slave owners always wanted the best breeders. On here no matter what the topic is the same posters always go in the direction of low wages,limited rights and wage slaves.
NO--that is NOT correct, and it is NOT the majority of the party. It's a looney fringe of the GOP that happens to love this board. The GOP is as divided as it's ever been, and the controversy over being against birth control (personhood amendments, and some of the stuff here) is just driving the wedge deeper.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
There were no "apples" and "kumquats". You take an action, that action results in unintended effects, are you or are you not responsible for those effects? It was a legitimate analogy and a legitimate point and a simple yes or no question. You dodged the answer.
Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How about you answer the other question Katiana asked you?

What would you have done if your newborn had required a million dollars worth of medical care to survive?

Should we, as a society, have allowed your child to die because YOU couldn't pay the bill?

And remember, when you chose to have a child you knew that there was a chance that it could be born needing expensive medical care.....that would be a chance YOU decided to take.
Dont hold your breath, I asked that question, I am still waiting for an answer.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
NO--that is NOT correct, and it is NOT the majority of the party. It's a looney fringe of the GOP that happens to love this board. The GOP is as divided as it's ever been, and the controversy over being against birth control (personhood amendments, and some of the stuff here) is just driving the wedge deeper.

I agree that it is a very small, yet loud, lunatic fringe. My question is: why doesn't the "normal" members speak out more. They just stand by and say nothing which looks like agreement to me.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
There were no "apples" and "kumquats". You take an action, that action results in unintended effects, are you or are you not responsible for those effects? It was a legitimate analogy and a legitimate point and a simple yes or no question. You dodged the answer.
yes she did! if you buy apples or kumquats you still have to carry them home, are we going to wait for uncle sam to come and carry them home for us!!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No one is talking about the goverment paying for the insurance. The govt. does get into it by giving tax deductions, but the employers/employees and individuals are paying for the insurance. What is the point of paying big bucks for ins. and then having to pay for everything else as well? As one person said, she hardly used her health care otherwise.
That's the point exactly, and I'm not sure where some of the loonies on here think they're paying for anything--it's not the government paying for insurance--it's part of your insurance premium. I'm sure insurance companies love paying for birth control--that's why they're willing to offer it for free--because it's a whole heck of lot cheaper than paying for a pregnancy, especially one with complications, and I would think it would actually REDUCE insurance costs for everyone vs. increase them.

Another point that hasn't been raised--how many women (especially older women) use contraceptives or have a tubal ligation because it would be a heath nightmare for both them and the baby if they had a pregnancy? What value is it to have both the mom and baby die, OR wind up having an abortion, when it could have easily been prevented? Even beyond the fact that birth control IS a medical issue, it can also be a life saving one.

Some of you people here are simply not rational. And you wonder why you get called fringe, even by other Rs? Seriously?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
yes she did! if you buy apples or kumquats you still have to carry them home, are we going to wait for uncle sam to come and carry them home for us!!
You presume to speak for me?
Really?
How patriarchal of you.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree that it is a very small, yet loud, lunatic fringe. My question is: why doesn't the "normal" members speak out more. They just stand by and say nothing which looks like agreement to me.
I think it's the way this particular board is weighted in terms of participants. I think the fringe is more activist, and they tend to participate more in forums like this. I'm a political junkie, but I'm not "cause" oriented like lots of the other posters here. I also think there's a fear among the GOP that if you speak out against them, that you'll hurt the party--I don't think it's any big secret that the GOP pulled in the social conservatives just to win races. The party's already about as damaged as it's ever been, so I don't see any point in keeping my mouth shut. We need to kick out the crazies and rebuild with a message that's actually conservative (creating stability so we have a conducive environment for business growth and mainstreet) vs. this crazy garbage.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It goes a little further than just saying nothing.....they are also supporting candidates that pander to their lunatic fringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies