U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM
 
26,916 posts, read 6,079,924 times
Reputation: 5069
Default Electric cars and the wussification of America

Well old Rush spells out pretty good here what libs are all about.

"My grandfather was born in 1893. And he saw more advancement in human technology, quality of life in the first 50 years of his life than had happened in all of human history prior to it.
"


Electric Cars and the Wussification of America - The Rush Limbaugh Show

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-15-2012 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: copyright
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
 
Location: KC
625 posts, read 244,516 times
Reputation: 518
Ridiculous. Technological change starts out small in new areas of discovery. It took a while to go from punch-card systems to microcomputing, but advancements in microprocessors came about with each iteration of computer models. In terms of alternative energy vehicles, we cannot expect to have the best machines right out of the gate. As better batteries develop...perhaps one day cold fusion process is discovered...or as hydrogen cells become more practical and safe...we will have more efficient means of travel than the internal combustion engine. The fact that early computers were inefficient did not stop companies from using them. The same phenomena will occur with hybrid and electric cars...some people will buy them now, others will buy them in the future as technological advances are made.

The first few iterations of technological advances usually nowhere near peak potential. Give it time.

I don't see how in the future some other alternative-powered vehicle is "wussy"...I see it as ingenuity and intelligence winning out...and it will in the end. Whereas 200 years ago change might have come through "muscle" and "brawn", today it comes through brains.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:51 PM
 
2,074 posts, read 1,090,733 times
Reputation: 2822
The best engineered cars to date are still only about 25% efficient, i.e. 75% of the money you spend on a tank of gas is wasted as heat, and not on motion of your vehicle. I see plenty of room for improvement on the outdated and completely obsolete internal combustion engine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: southern california
46,896 posts, read 41,321,872 times
Reputation: 37529
why electric? u mean why not continue to make OPEC rich? gas prices are highly sensitive to consumption.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
1,333 posts, read 1,151,069 times
Reputation: 1117
"What a bunch of wusses, culturally, we are compared to the dynamism that built this country! It just breaks my heart to see what's happening to us."

-says the man in the air conditioned sound booth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:55 PM
 
Location: KC
625 posts, read 244,516 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
"What a bunch of wusses, culturally, we are compared to the dynamism that built this country! It just breaks my heart to see what's happening to us."

-says the man in the air conditioned sound booth.
pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...listen to the great oz...i mean rush...(sarcasm).
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
4,395 posts, read 1,743,215 times
Reputation: 3735
I am amazed how few people think that electric cars are GREEN and produce no pollution. Do people not understand that the electricity still has to be produced in a power plant? 50% of the U.S. electrical power comes from filthy COAL, and even if you scrub the massive amount of pollutant toxins from the smokestacks, you still have to put the endless flow of millions of tons of toxic pollutants SOMEWHERE.

Back to the "green" electric car--after the electricity is produced in a power plant (almost 80% by burning fossil fuels ), it must be transmitted with significant loss over power lines, then stored chemically in the car battery, before being converted back into energy to power the car. How does this process compare in efficiency to simply burning gasoline to power a car?

Is this simply too complicated for the average American to understand?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
68,268 posts, read 28,848,291 times
Reputation: 15542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why electric? u mean why not continue to make OPEC rich? gas prices are highly sensitive to consumption.
Instead make China rich.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
68,268 posts, read 28,848,291 times
Reputation: 15542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am amazed how few people think that electric cars are GREEN and produce no pollution. Do people not understand that the electricity still has to be produced in a power plant? 50% of the U.S. electrical power comes from filthy COAL, and even if you scrub the massive amount of pollutant toxins from the smokestacks, you still have to put the endless flow of millions of tons of toxic pollutants SOMEWHERE.

Back to the "green" electric car--after the electricity is produced in a power plant (almost 80% by burning fossil fuels ), it must be transmitted with significant loss over power lines, then stored chemically in the car battery, before being converted back into energy to power the car. How does this process compare in efficiency to simply burning gasoline to power a car?

Is this simply too complicated for the average American to understand?
Yes, it is too complicated. All they see is that they do not need to fill the car with gas. Beyond what they actually SEE, they know nothing.
See electricity just gets created out of nothing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
 
Location: KC
625 posts, read 244,516 times
Reputation: 518
Maybe today it's not efficient...but imagine 100 or 200 years in the future if we are converting energy from renewable, non-burning sources into stored energy for transportation. That's the point...we are still closer to beginning point than to end point...which is far beyond our lifetime.

I don't understand why people love to resist technological change and advancement.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top