U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM

994 posts, read 1,354,956 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it. It seems like a troll question but I remember back in the day when Americans recognized a whole multitude of political opinions, not just the left/right spectrum. How does this left/right spectrum explain someone like me who could be called a libertarian on individual rights (no SS/Income Tax, freedom of speech and religion, no government intrusion into my private life) but as far as business regulation and government go leans more towards what the Democrat and Green parties push (regulations on business and corporations and a more democratic form of government versus what we have now)? It seems almost comical to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM

650 posts, read 1,004,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I just don't get it. It seems like a troll question but I remember back in the day when Americans recognized a whole multitude of political opinions, not just the left/right spectrum. How does this left/right spectrum explain someone like me who could be called a libertarian on individual rights (no SS/Income Tax, freedom of speech and religion, no government intrusion into my private life) but as far as business regulation and government go leans more towards what the Democrat and Green parties push (regulations on business and corporations and a more democratic form of government versus what we have now)? It seems almost comical to me.
they are brainwashed by the 2-card monte shell game

Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,501,894 times
It's much easier than using a thoughtful analytical approach to address a given issue.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM

15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Some people have no sense of identity and a fragile sense of self-worth. Only by identifying themselves with a movement, philosophy, or sports team and filtering all their external stimuli through a lens formed by their allegiance to such, can they artificially prop up their egos.

I read 'Politics and Controversies' to study these sad people.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,823,753 times
Intellectual laziness. Some people take it a step further and make it Democrat versus Republican

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM

26,791 posts, read 11,250,397 times
Quote:
People go with the flow to often. They hear something that fits their agenda and don't look into it. I was the same way. I thought the big redeeming quality of the dems was being anti war. Not so. Both parties are very similar. Who gets the benefits from my money is what changes.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM

168 posts, read 123,493 times
I think it's because some people simply do not take the time to verify things for themselves, and after you get the same type of information against a certain person/place/thing, you think a certain way. This forum seems to be rife with people either calling each other conservative or liberal, and not much else. It's a giant pissing contest that pretty much runs America. I would love to see a Current issues forum where politicism isn't welcomed and you have to bring up valid points, where someone else can debate it with information of their own.

My bad, partisanship isn't welcome.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 PM

22,596 posts, read 11,630,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
People go with the flow to often. They hear something that fits their agenda and don't look into it. I was the same way. I thought the big redeeming quality of the dems was being anti war. Not so. Both parties are very similar. Who gets the benefits from my money is what changes.
There has not been an anti-war Prez since Ike. He knew what it was like.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,263,397 times
Quote:
Take a chance and listen to the Daniel Hannan speech that I provided this afternoon. Maybe you will be able to see some things that might make you give some thought to your thinking especially like on regulation and where that is pushing us. Maybe you might even find him talking about democratic government and what it is. Yes, his speech was delivered at a meeting of conservatives so we have right leaners right there. Hannan talks too much like other non-Americans who have warned us before about where we seem to be headed.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,263,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
they are brainwashed by the 2-card monte shell game
Which side are you talking about here? We know but some may not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies