Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,642,481 times

Advertisements

OK, you all want proof, I work for a major health insurance organization and basically we are not hiring and we have laid people off due to Obamacare. Basically, it has been said here and it is in effect. There is your proof that this is affecting hiring.

Personally, I am supposed ot have staff reporting to me and 2 of my positions were cut due to Obamacare. Hard to argue with that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,935,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Reading the poll results it seems that the top reason not to hire was that THEY DIDN'T NEED TO HIRE. Please make the case, from this survey, that one small business owner that needed to hire a new employer didn't because they of obamacare or regulation. The prevailing reason people aren't hiring is the economy.
But this thread isnt to discuss the economy.. Its to discuss the Obamacare and regulations put into place by Obama.

I thought it was difficult for my children to stay focused, then I read all of the liberal responses to the thread.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,182,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The OP picked out one section of the poll that she wished to discuss. The fact that you dont understand that she wants to discuss THAT SECTION of the poll, doesnt mean I didnt read the link, it means you cant focus on the thread topic.

If you want to discuss other sections of the poll, start a new thread dealing with the other sections, because this thread is about only the healthcare and regulations section of the poll which has to do with Obamas policies only.

It cant be that difficult for you to understand, or can it?
LOL--and if you take that one section out of context of the larger poll, it's misleading. Get it? If you don't, then I can't help you.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,388,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Asked/answered long ago. Ranting on how the ACA is excessively raising cost of HC is utter nonsense. It is just another RW hot button to push, in hopes their sect members will eat it up.
This whole debate is partisan and divisive; the country is in two camps.

One camp believes the President can wave a magic wand and produce "free" goodies for the people: routine and preventive care with no co-pays or deductibles, birth control drugs, etc.

The other camp KNOWS that there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free preventive care, or free birth control, etc.) And it believes it knows who will be holding the bag. So it isn't hiring.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,182,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This whole debate is partisan and divisive; the country is in two camps.

One camp believes the President can wave a magic wand and produce "free" goodies for the people: routine and preventive care with no co-pays or deductibles, birth control drugs, etc.

The other camp KNOWS that there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free preventive care, or free birth control, etc.) And it believes it knows who will be holding the bag. So it isn't hiring.
I really do run a business. No one knows if they'll be holding the bag or not--it's the uncertainty (the economy, additional costs) that keeps you from holding off on investing in your business. Health care costs were going up consistently before the health care reform bill--I'm on the fence in terms of waiting to see if this is going to help or not long term. I've never met a successful business owner who made decisions out of political ideology. You make them based on your balance sheet, demand, and your ability to project the future. Business planning thrives on stability--economic uncertainty is what kills you. That's what the poll reflected--not that health care and regulations are a major issue in stalling hiring. It's a factor, but far from the biggest one, or the only one.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM

994 posts, read 723,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Repeal Obamacare and let the government manage healthcare like in every other developed country in the world.

Problem solved.
You see the mess the government has made of the economy and you want to entrust your health to them? Why would you do that? Seriously. Whether you blame Bush or blame Obama, it's still the government that did it. Why would you voluntarily surrender control over your own health to government bureaucracy? Even if you like Obama, what happens when someone you don't like gets elected and you're up a creek without a paddle because you already gave up control over your health?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
Small businesses would be blaming President Obama for their plight even if he had done nothing about health care. Government is not a threat to small business but Big Business certainly is. These Whiners do not know their real enemy.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,388,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I really do run a business. No one knows if they'll be holding the bag or not--it's the uncertainty (the economy, additional costs) that keeps you from holding off on investing in your business. Health care costs were going up consistently before the health care reform bill--I'm on the fence in terms of waiting to see if this is going to help or not long term. I've never met a successful business owner who made decisions out of political ideology. You make them based on your balance sheet, demand, and your ability to project the future. Business planning thrives on stability--economic uncertainty is what kills you. That's what the poll reflected--not that health care and regulations are a major issue in stalling hiring. It's a factor, but far from the biggest one, or the only one.
I'm largely in agreement with you, and my business runs on the same decision-making process as yours. What is scary is the president's propensity to use other people's money to meet his goals, provide freebies, and keep official spending lower than it otherwise would be.

There are three participants in the health care situation: workers, government, and business. Business is exposed like no other to cost shifting. Does that trump the realities of business for your product and your lines? No. But it is depressive.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,188,970 times
Dug a little deeper into the actual survey. Apparently there is a reason some of these 497 employers not hiring at the moment they answered the survey. Only 428 of them actually have employees to begin with.

69 of those employers, 14%, don't have a business that requires additional employees. MANY sole proprietors that do their own work or hire sub contractors don't hire regular employees...

Conclusions? Of the 85% that are not in the process of hiring AT THE MOMENT of the survey, 14% don't even have employees. Adds more weight to the top reason, that they don't need an employee at the moment (or ever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
LOL--and if you take that one section out of context of the larger poll, it's misleading. Get it? If you don't, then I can't help you.
The OP not only cherrypicked results they reinterpreted what the survey said.

These responses were provided by of the 497 (out of 600) that were not in the process of hiring someone AT THAT MOMENT, two weeks into the new year. The top response was they didn't need someone at that moment.

FYI, most small businesses would be winding down from the holidays. the period between the holidays and tax times seems like a good time to be vacationing in Myrtle Beach and not conducting interviews.

BREAKING NEWS: 85% not in the process of hiring someone two weeks after the holidays and two weeks before starting to figure their taxes.

History is always instructive. When asked 48% of the 600 small business owners said they did hire in the last 12 months. I guess those onerous regulations aren't as bad as the OP claims.

Last edited by buzzards27; 02-16-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,515,761 times
Points to OP for using a good source.
Taking some away for implying the issue is higher than 5th place.
(Dont need is #1. at 76%. General economy is #3 at 66%)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies