Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hmm, it's interesting the people defending the praise Allah song being included in a public school choir include some who say no to religious themed Christmas songs at public schools. Christian=bad; Islam=good as far as liberals are concerned.
Yes I've noticed it too. Seems quite odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Standing up for what one believes, especially when one knows it is the Truth, does not make one a bigot. Those who hide their own bigotry behind such accusations need to man up themselves and recognize that if people don't stand up for what they believe, they will fall for anything. (Sound familiar?)
Nice attempt at deflection which only serves to demonstrate the weakness of your comment. I never said standing up for what one believes in makes one a bigot - it doesn't. However, discriminating against one song because of its Islamic orientation while not having an issue with a Christian song is an example of bigotry. I don't have a problem with the kid saying what he believes and I don't begrudge him his world view. I simply recognize that it is indeed a bigoted view and wonder why he is trying to hedge that fact in his quote in the story. That's all.

And no, capitalizing 'Truth' doesn't change my perspective. If one sees Islam as inferior, why not just admit it?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes I've noticed it too. Seems quite odd.
Meh. I'm defending the inclusion of the Islamic song but have no issue with singing Christmas songs at public schools, so long as they're not used to promote religion in an evangelical way. Some Muslims are good, some are bad - just like Christians.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM

779 posts, read 537,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Meh. I'm defending the inclusion of the Islamic song but have no issue with singing Christmas songs at public schools, so long as they're not used to promote religion in an evangelical way. Some Muslims are good, some are bad - just like Christians.
Yes, and interestingly, it's the conservatives, in all three branches of the Abrahamic religions, who seem to be the most dogmatic and the most hostile towards different views. They have a very hard time co-existing with people who don't fall into lock-step with their specific, tribal, wild-eyed fanaticism.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Who were then willing to persecute the people in their New World communities who didn't follow their particular version of Biblical and Christian principles. As in Puritan Massachusetts making Quakers illegal and hanging them for being Quakers.
Yep which is why the United States was founded by secular Deists who knew that keeping religion, especially Christianity out of the mix was the only path to true religious and personal freedom.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
And yet every year more and more public schools ban the singing or performing of Christmas songs. Also, it's liberals and the ACLU who defend the banning of such songs. In this case, the student felt it would be a violation of his personal beliefs to sing this song. Instead of filing a lawsuit to ban the song, he left the choir. What a concept! Taking a personal moral stand and not going to a lawyer over the case.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
In this case, the student felt it would be a violation of his personal beliefs to sing this song. Instead of filing a lawsuit to ban the song, he left the choir. What a concept! Taking a personal moral stand and not going to a lawyer over the case.
I wonder if your attitude would be the same if it were a Muslim American kid who left the choir over not wanting to sing a christian song.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,628 times
The issue about "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance has been around before. I remember back in the '90s asking those folks espousing that it wasn't endorsing a specific religion how they'd feel if we had school kids say "...under God..." one day, say "...under Yahweh..." the next, then "...under Allah..." the next day, etc. They didn't like it, and got pretty exercised. Kind of ended the debate.

Last edited by sky1949; 02-17-2012 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I wonder if your attitude would be the same if it were a Muslim American kid who left the choir over not wanting to sing a christian song.
Fine as long as he/she doesn't try to take the school to court over a song (ACLU).

Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
And yet every year more and more public schools ban the singing or performing of Christmas songs. Also, it's liberals and the ACLU who defend the banning of such songs. In this case, the student felt it would be a violation of his personal beliefs to sing this song. Instead of filing a lawsuit to ban the song, he left the choir. What a concept! Taking a personal moral stand and not going to a lawyer over the case.
Great point about lawsuits. I think lots of schools may ban items that may be controversial because of the threat of legal trouble, and I have a hard time blaming the schools for that. I do think it's overly simplistic to blame one segment of society for the amount of litigation in our world, we (collectively) have created this. And again, I have no problem with the kid's words or actions, other than trying to insist that there wasn't bigotry involved in his position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies