Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Why would it be patronizing if other black people do it? Trust me...most black folks can spot a fake "sympathizer" (I'm looking at you Justin Bieber). Obama is just a cool cat and seems to relax and let his hair down when he's around black people...I like it.
Justin Bieber? You're kidding right? You'd compare an immature pre-puberty entertainer to Obama? Give me a break here. Here's a new's flash for you; without knowing a great deal about his upbinging, it may even be possible that Justin actually cares more for YOU than Obama does.

Sidney Poitier ever crap talk like Obama? How about Oprah, Harry Belafonte, Morgan Freeman, any of the highly respected black entertainers ever resort to trash talking to "fit in" - nope! They are respected regardless of their unwillingness to adopt affected mannerism's, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
I throw around a few more curse words around friends than I do at work, but the tone of my voice and the way I speak is natural and genuine no matter what company I keep or where I'm at. Ive never heard of this culturally bilingual in regards to changing how one speaks to make themselves insincere? Is this a new term? I only know of bilingual!
the tone of one's own voice is often not as recognizable to oneself as it is to others. maybe you just don't notice it? shocking, but possible!

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Let me say that I do not know who Obama is and I don’t know if Obama really knows who he is or where he fits being biracial. One thing that I do know is that he did not have a “black” upbringing in his household or his environment. I am not sure, so maybe I should not be commenting, but someone correct me if I am wrong, but the blackest environment that Obama has been in seems to have been the black church.

I have to admit that I am ambiguous about Obama because he just popped up out of nowhere. I think that at this point in time he is the most qualified person running for the 45 presidency; however, I don’t think he was nearly the most qualified person running for the 44th presidency. I only say that because now that he is president I am not pro Obama or anti Obama and I am not casting praise or aspersion on his performance as POTUS. However, I am not a fan of the way Obama addresses black America. I must say that I would prefer Bill Clinton over Obama any day, when it comes to dealing with black folks. This is not to say that Bill Clinton did anything great for black folks either.

I believe that if he believes in being "post racial".....then he should not have one venacular for whites and another when he is around blacks.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
I work with a woman from South Carolina who has a distinct Southern twang. While at work, she suppresses it (to the best of her ability), but when we're at Happy Hour and she's relaxed, it comes back full force. I love her twang, but a lot of people equate Southern drawl to being uneducated, so I can see why she chooses to code-switch.

Same with the casual vernacular of black people...some think that if blacks use slang and/or speak in "ebonics", we're uneducated, so we shy away from using this language in a professional setting.
I don't think that even when relaxed, President Obama speaks "ebonics." If he did, it would indeed be an affectation.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Justin Bieber? You're kidding right? You'd compare an immature pre-puberty entertainer to Obama? Give me a break here. Here's a new's flash for you; without knowing a great deal about his upbinging, it may even be possible that Justin actually cares more for YOU than Obama does.

Sidney Poitier ever crap talk like Obama? How about Oprah, Harry Belafonte, Morgan Freeman, any of the highly respected black entertainers ever resort to trash talking to "fit in" - nope! They are respected regardless of their unwillingness to adopt affected mannerism's, aren't they?
Could you give us an example of "crap talk"?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I'm not talking about someone caring about black people...I'm only talking about their manner of speech.

And most black folks can tell someone genuine (Eminem, House of Pain) from those who seem like they're putting on an act (Bieber, Vanilla Ice).

Please give black people enough credit to be able to tell the difference.

BTW, what do you mean by "crap talk"? And keep in mind that I said some black people...which would mean that all do not code-switch. Of course, we don't know them in their personal lives (although clips of Oprah with Gayle would indicate that she does indeed code-switch), so we don't know whether they do this or not.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Obama sounds like he grew up in the hood. Anything for a vote.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I don't think that even when relaxed, President Obama speaks "ebonics." If he did, it would indeed be an affectation.
I don't think that I said he did. But he definitely gets more of a "Cooley-High" vibe going.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,447 times
So basically, Obama is a big phony.

Wow, and it gets dark at night and water is wet.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Lots of black people that I know, including myself, "code switch". That is to say, when I'm in a professional environment, I speak in a professional manner. When I'm at home relaxing with my family and friends or folks that I know from around the way, I use more slang. This is not unusual and I don't find it to be a problem at all.

OP, are you black? If not, why does this even concern/bother you?

"Slang" is the sign of a lazy mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies