Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Its said that imitation is the height of admiration. When people want to "fit in" they often imitate unconsciously.

That said. Politicians are all chameleons in one way or the other.

Obama does not share the background and upbringing of most black people in this country.....and he does not need to. All you need to be able to do is empathize and understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Many people pick up accents very easily.

My cousin, who was a native Washington DC/Maryland resident moved to South Carolina. My goodness, when she came back after ONE year, she had the heaviest South Carolina drawl you'd ever heard, yet her husband didn't.

My sister in law, who lived in Virginia for 25 years, moved to Massachusetts and now she sounds like she's from New England. My grandmother never lost her New England accent even after living in Virginia for 40 years.

Anyway, some people just pick up on this stuff way easily than others. A white woman in my office who works with predominantly black coworkers has this going on. It's not the first time I've seen it.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
I can't remember any other President changing the tone of his voice to appease a certain group of people....
To p* off people like you.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Lots of black people that I know, including myself, "code switch". That is to say, when I'm in a professional environment, I speak in a professional manner. When I'm at home relaxing with my family and friends or folks that I know from around the way, I use more slang. This is not unusual and I don't find it to be a problem at all.

OP, are you black? If not, why does this even concern/bother you?

Absolutely...everyone "code switches;" my DH has a college degree and can speak quite well...unless he's at work or talking to an employee. Then he says, "ain't," "hisself," "he come back" instead of "he came back," and other slang that he'd never use in other circumstances. No big deal if you stop and think about it.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Lots of black people that I know, including myself, "code switch". That is to say, when I'm in a professional environment, I speak in a professional manner. When I'm at home relaxing with my family and friends or folks that I know from around the way, I use more slang. This is not unusual and I don't find it to be a problem at all.

OP, are you black? If not, why does this even concern/bother you?
Of course. Most of us use two languages. Like Dave Chapelle said....Ebonics, and Job Interview! LMAO..

I don't talk the same way with white folks as i do with black folks. Never have, never will. Obama doesn't even change all that much when i hear him. Like, it's barely detectable to me. He doesn't get all the way down like my pals and i do when we're together. But apparently, it's enough to cause alarm with the clowns that don't like him anyway.

Besides....like you say, if you're not black, why do you care anyway? Don't worry about it.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
So you use what is more comfortable, ebonics, when you are in a comfortable environment?
If you wanna call it Ebonics, then call it that. I don't give a damn.

But the short answer is "yes." That's what i do...and it's what a lot of black folks do.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Obama's "black dialect" is completelly fake. He's from HAWAII!!!

He is not down for the struggle like real black guys from real places like Memphis, St. Louis, Houston, etc.

Whatever, I grew up in a suburban area with a half white/half other mother, a white grandmother - a black father who did not live with me for most of my life and spoke proper English and I do the same thing sometimes. This is truly another "Obama can't do anything right" thread. Other presidents have done the same and no one bats an eyelash. Almost 4 years later and people still can't get over the fact that he won.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
But Harry Reid says he doesn't speak in a "Negro Dialect."

Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
I can't remember any other President changing the tone of his voice to appease a certain group of people. Bill Clinton was loved in the black community, and when he spoke and black churches and events his voice and tone were consistent! African Americans that i have spoken to have mentioned this to me! they have said to a fault that they like Obama because he is black.. but respected Clinton far more as a President for his skill and ability to understand people!
"W" slipped into a Texas twang-speak from time-to-time. Bill Clinton slipped similarly into his Arkansas drawl. Jim Thompson, former Governor of Illinois, who was born/raised in Chicago spoke like a guy raised in Southern Illinois when visiting that part of the state. I don't know exactly why these guys do that, but Obama, who I've noticed doing the "blackspeak", isn't the first nor do I think he'll be the last.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Could you give us an example of "crap talk"?
"You betcha"...or "hopey changey"...oh wait thats white trash.lol.

Obviously Obama is educated and speaks a certain way, its odd this is a particular issue with THIS particular President....Bush acted like an idiot but clearly it served his agenda..., they are all actors of a sort, if they weren't they sure as hell couldn't survive in politics.

lol that some posters here are acting like Obama is the only politician in the entire history of America to pander to an audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies