Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

LOL since we're talking about "switching up accents" to appease an audience.

I guess since Hillary Clinton was infront of a black audience it was ok for her to speak in this manner?

WTF MOMENTS HILLARY TALKING BLACK - YouTube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
I can't remember any other President changing the tone of his voice to appease a certain group of people. Bill Clinton was loved in the black community, and when he spoke and black churches and events his voice and tone were consistent! African Americans that i have spoken to have mentioned this to me! they have said to a fault that they like Obama because he is black.. but respected Clinton far more as a President for his skill and ability to understand people!

Who cares, really. Focus on real stuff.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
I can't remember any other President changing the tone of his voice to appease a certain group of people. Bill Clinton was loved in the black community, and when he spoke and black churches and events his voice and tone were consistent! African Americans that i have spoken to have mentioned this to me! they have said to a fault that they like Obama because he is black.. but respected Clinton far more as a President for his skill and ability to understand people!
Actually no, they weren't. Check out these recordings of his speeches:

Quote:
Bill Clinton is known as a relaxed, disarming public speaker. It has been noted that from one speech to another he can sound almost like a different person. And in fact, sociolinguists have found that speakers change their speaking style depending upon circumstances. Listen to the following speech excerpts, and see what differences in President Clinton’s speaking style you notice:
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . Standard American . Presidential | PBS

Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
I think many politicians do this when speaking.It does however make Mitt look a little silly when he tries out his southern accent and cadence.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Obama's "black dialect" is completelly fake. He's from HAWAII!!!

He is not down for the struggle like real black guys from real places like Memphis, St. Louis, Houston, etc.
I'll tell you this - in Hawaii if he wanted to use "da kine," the local pidgin, there would be locals who thought of him as fake simply because he doesn't fit the preconceived notion of what a Hawaii "local" should be racially or ethnically - even thought he was born and largely raised there. And how do you know what a "real black guy" is anyway? I know the answer to that......there is no such thing, and if there were you would have no idea what one was.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Whatever, I grew up in a suburban area with a half white/half other mother, a white grandmother - a black father who did not live with me for most of my life and spoke proper English and I do the same thing sometimes. This is truly another "Obama can't do anything right" thread. Other presidents have done the same and no one bats an eyelash. Almost 4 years later and people still can't get over the fact that he won.
Or that he's going to win again.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You mean apeaseing a certain audience. And they don't get it.

I knew someone who went to H.S. in Hawaii with Barack, he says he was nothing as he is now, infact i even saw him in the yearbook.

He says he was not a good student.

No i am not making this up, he really went to H.S. with him, but he still does not like him.

I don't care what any of you think. He still has white blood in him, and it is a slap in the face to the white's the raised him, that he somehow, has forgotten that. Or so it seems.

There are bi-racials on my inlaws side, they embrace both sides, the white and the black, they say are the best of both worlds.
CJ - Nobody is the same person they were in high school. I certainly am not, and I hope you can say the same.

BTW - the vast majority of black people in this hemisphere have "white blood" in them. Big deal.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's like a President taking off his tie and wearing a pair of jeans to visit mine or auto workers. He's just letting his guard down and connecting with the people he is communicating with. Just shows again the education and the class of the man.
Yet his wife will wear a pair of 500.00 designer shoes, while helping the poor. GO figure.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Yet his wife will wear a pair of 500.00 designer shoes, while helping the poor. GO figure.
Did she pay for the shoes with her money?

Who's she supposed to dress like? Mother Teresa?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'm sure we could say the same thing about Republicans. If they ever did anything to help the poor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies