Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Not really what? What exactly are you disputing?
The racial IQ studies that I've seen are generally not fit for usage as toilet paper. Tons and tons of silent assumptions are made with them, they tend to ignore other contributing variables have massive selection bias and so on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The racial IQ studies that I've seen are generally not fit for usage as toilet paper. Tons and tons of silent assumptions are made with them, they tend to ignore other contributing variables have massive selection bias and so on and so forth.
What are you disputing? Are you tap dancing now? Did I get into why there is racial disparity in test scores? No.

I said whites and asians "as groups" score higher in aptitude/iq tests that blacks and hispanics.

Run along now. You have no studies that contradict this. There is no such data.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Well maybe just maybe blacks can earn the right to the job just like everyone else instead of relying on race as a crutch. What was that whole content of their character not color of their skin thing again??
I see you didnt deny what I said about the test coachingDidnt know we knew huh?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I see you didnt deny what I said about the test coachingDidnt know we knew huh?
I don't bother to deny hogwash. That would be a waste of time. Can you document proof of what you said or is this just another play of the victim card?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Thank God this happened in Chicago instead of Columbia, South Carolina. Cries of racism wouldn't be tempered like they are in a deeply Democratic stronghold. It's amazing how bias controls the crowd! Liberals would be beside themselves if this wasn't Obama territory!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM

71 posts, read 92,152 times
The city has long messed over black fire and police applicants. I have relatives in both the departments and they will be the first to tell you that the application process was designed pretty much to benefit one group of people which are the Irish. In a city that is less than 1/2 white those departments are probably over 90% white while other departments like Streets and Sanitation are probably closer to the city population norm. It is true that many black applicants for both candidate and promotion do not score as high as white applicants but there are reasons for that. One of the biggest reasons is because the vast majority of white applicants went to Catholic schools and the vast majority of black applicants went to the Chicago Public Schools. Since the city requires that all applicants be residents of the City of Chicago, this excludes black applicants that went to much better suburban schools so it gives a big advantage to white applicants from Catholic schools. One thing I think would bring in more qualified or "highly qualified" applicants would be to drop the residency rules for applicants and instead require that they become city residents within 6 months of hire. This is how it is done most places.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM

71 posts, read 92,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If this is the new criteria then they should just throw out the test scores and make it "pass/fail" and use other testing for promotions.
They should just toss the test all together and offer candidate positions to any applicant that was in the top 10% of his/her high school class. Problem solved.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
So once again, blacks did not score well as the other races on a test and had to resort to affirmative action to get a job. These people really can't do a damn thing to better themselves without some higher legal power coming to their aid. I guess the Chicago fire department just became 111 points more stupid.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
So once again, blacks did not score well as the other races on a test and had to resort to affirmative action to get a job. These people really can't do a damn thing to better themselves without some higher legal power coming to their aid. I guess the Chicago fire department just became 111 points more stupid.

This has nothing to do with affirmative action. What are you people not getting. The City had a mandate in place outlining the requirments. The City then decided they were going to include an addendum mid way to those requirements. Thats unfair. Had they stated in their requirements that the person with the HIGHEST score is the most qualified, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I suggest they not change the criteria midway through the process if they don't want to get criticism. It should have 89+ from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies