Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't disagree with you about how we got here or about the need for something to be done. Regarding the two parties, I don't like either and they leave me with little hope of a good resolution of the heathcare issue.
But my question is, are you going to vote Republican? If so, you aren't really helping things. And arguments about "well they have access to condoms", isn't a valid one either.

If you want to help the cause, if you want to fix the problem, vote independent or third party. I have already pledged to do so myself. If you really want to help the cause and the argument, then drop crap like "well they can use condoms", because those things only stand to cause independent women who could see things our way, to turn against you because you are essentially telling them that its their fault already that they got pregnant.

Be realistic, there are realistic answers, and real arguments to be made. Every woman needs access to birth control pills. How we accomplish that is a good debate to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You are correct that nothing is free. Someone will pay. Birth control pills will be "free" to those who use them and currently pay in full or pay a co-pay. Insurance premiums *might* rise, or they might not because it. If more women, who are low income and cannot pay the $9-$40 per month for whatever contraception works for them, end up using it because they can now afford it, maybe there will be less babies born to women in this position, which can only be a savings.

Having said that--there is also a mandate out that mammograms will be provided for free. My mammogram currently runs me about $350 if I haven't met my deductible (which I usually haven't when I'm due for one in January) or, it costs me $60 if I have. I'm okay with that because, well, I make a lot of money. I have no problem envisioning that there are women out there who could not swing the $350 or even the $60 and would delay or never have that mammogram. That could end up very badly. So I am for "free" mammograms, even though, obviously, they are not free.

I would also be for "free" diabetes screenings and other such things that would ultimately save people before they become catastrophic.
Where does it end.

Nothing is free.

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Correct.
I find it quite interesting that it seems to be a majority of men on this forum that are so vociferous against this whole BC debate.
Why is that?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
To the extent that contraception is in the hands of the government, innovation will be stifled.
And I thought all those who are for "choice" want the gov't out of their bedrooms!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you about how we got here or about the need for something to be done. Regarding the two parties, I don't like either and they leave me with little hope of a good resolution of the heathcare issue.
One more time... is there a cons to your position, or only pros?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I find it quite interesting that it seems to be a majority of men on this forum that are so vociferous against this whole BC debate.
Why is that?
I'm not against birth control. My wife and I use it, and when we were dating, I helped pay for it. I'm not against motorcycle helmets either, I just don't think the government should make my employer buy me one.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And I thought all those who are for "choice" want the gov't out of their bedrooms!

They are out of my bedroom. They are not telling me that I have to use contraception nor are they telling me that I can't use it. They have said "here, it's available to you under your health plan and you can get it for free, just like your mammogram." What I would like is to get the Catholic Church OUT of dictating just who will get a standard level of care. I want religion taken OUT of standard health care.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One more time... is there a cons to your position, or only pros?
Not sure I understand your question.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But my question is, are you going to vote Republican? If so, you aren't really helping things. And arguments about "well they have access to condoms", isn't a valid one either.

If you want to help the cause, if you want to fix the problem, vote independent or third party. I have already pledged to do so myself. If you really want to help the cause and the argument, then drop crap like "well they can use condoms", because those things only stand to cause independent women who could see things our way, to turn against you because you are essentially telling them that its their fault already that they got pregnant.

Be realistic, there are realistic answers, and real arguments to be made. Every woman needs access to birth control pills. How we accomplish that is a good debate to have.
I haven't decided who is going to get my vote and am not someone that's against voting third party though. I do know at least one who isn't.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Why is that?
I find it interesting that so many women on this forum willingly throw the US Constitution under the bus in exchange for the government giving them "free stuff". Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies