Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as free birth control - YouTube

So we all know the recent issue about Obama's supposed "war on religion" where religious institutions were first mandated to provide free contraception for their female employees, and then where Obama backed off later, putting the tab on the insurance companies. It masks a bigger issue - which is why the government is mandating "free" birth control at all.

Peter Schiff goes on a rant against this, and although he exaggerates a bit (condoms being used as balloons etc), 90% of it makes sense to me. I'll be interested in the following:

1) Why the right/conservatives are not railing against this "free" birth-control which violates free market principles?
2) Women's views on this - are you willing to forsake a bigger paycheck in lieu of unlimited contraception?
3) What does the left/liberals think of this?

Let's keep your personal like/dislike for Schiff out of this, and just discuss the points in the video. Please watch the video first before commenting. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
I've posted that Peter Schiff video in a number of threads since it came out. He is, as usual, spot on. Every time the government sets fee schedules or provides something for "free" the price increases exponentially. Medicare and college tuitions are but a couple of examples.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
You are correct that nothing is free. Someone will pay. Birth control pills will be "free" to those who use them and currently pay in full or pay a co-pay. Insurance premiums *might* rise, or they might not because it. If more women, who are low income and cannot pay the $9-$40 per month for whatever contraception works for them, end up using it because they can now afford it, maybe there will be less babies born to women in this position, which can only be a savings.

Having said that--there is also a mandate out that mammograms will be provided for free. My mammogram currently runs me about $350 if I haven't met my deductible (which I usually haven't when I'm due for one in January) or, it costs me $60 if I have. I'm okay with that because, well, I make a lot of money. I have no problem envisioning that there are women out there who could not swing the $350 or even the $60 and would delay or never have that mammogram. That could end up very badly. So I am for "free" mammograms, even though, obviously, they are not free.

I would also be for "free" diabetes screenings and other such things that would ultimately save people before they become catastrophic.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
How are birth control pills free, if you first have to buy an insurance policy to be covered?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
1) Why the right/conservatives are not railing against this "free" birth-control which violates free market principles?
I'm railing against it from another angle: The people who need to use birth control the most aren't likely to have an employer and insurance to provide birth control coverage to begin with. BC is already available to the poor and uninsured, but yet the poor and uninsured keep pushing out babies by the millions.

The women who don't need government interference to fortress their own values of personal responsibility are the same women who will be employed with insurance and would use birth control anyway even without the "free" mandate.

In other words, I don't see mandating "free" birth control via insurance coverage as an option that will reach the people who actually need to use it.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

There is no such thing as free birth control - YouTube

So we all know the recent issue about Obama's supposed "war on religion" where religious institutions were first mandated to provide free contraception for their female employees, and then where Obama backed off later, putting the tab on the insurance companies. It masks a bigger issue - which is why the government is mandating "free" birth control at all.

Peter Schiff goes on a rant against this, and although he exaggerates a bit (condoms being used as balloons etc), 90% of it makes sense to me. I'll be interested in the following:

2) Women's views on this - are you willing to forsake a bigger paycheck in lieu of unlimited contraception?
3) What does the left/liberals think of this?

Let's keep your personal like/dislike for Schiff out of this, and just discuss the points in the video. Please watch the video first before commenting. Thanks.

Barack Hussein promising "An abortion in every pot!".

Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

The women who don't need birth control to fortress their own values of personal responsibility are the same women who will be employed with insurance and would use birth control anyway even without the "free" mandate.
How wrong you are.
You dont know any poor women, do you?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How wrong you are.
You dont know any poor women, do you?
BC is already available via several options to poor and uninsured people.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Really? Are you really going to take a guy's word that he's taken that? Ahh, yeah no we don't need that condom I'm on the pill. I'm pretty sure every woman would still take it. Most guys can't manage to even wash their hands after they take a dump.
You're probably right, its just one of those rhetorical questions.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What I really want to know is when Big Pharma is going to develop the Pill for men.
I know this is slightly off-topic, but it is related.
Makes one wonder what men would have to say if the shoe was on the other foot.
To the extent that contraception is in the hands of the government, innovation will be stifled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies