U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Status: "It's Cold...the Homeless Need Your Donations" (set 15 days ago)

5,517 posts, read 2,188,701 times

Advertisements

Taxes

Quote:
Congress had no power to impose a direct income tax and has introduced legislation to repeal of the 16th Amendment to the Constitution, which was ratified on February 3, 1913.

An income tax is the most degrading and totalitarian of all possible taxes. Its implementation wrongly suggests that the government owns the lives and labor of the citizens it is supposed to represent. Tellingly, “a heavy progressive or graduated income tax” is Plank #2 of the Communist Manifesto, which was written by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels and first published in 1848.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM

24,828 posts, read 11,351,749 times
Well that would greatly depend on what it was replaced with, now wouldn't it?

Dumb question "Do you like income tax?" Who in their right mind would say yes?

Now, asking "Do you like this program, and that program, and do you think providing this government service at the current levels?" Those are much more relevant questions. And, if you tell the person they are paid for by income tax, well, it might change someones mind.

See how these whole "yes or no" questions really mislead people?

I personally favor 1 federal flat tax. Any income over 40,000 dollars gets taxed at the exact same tax rate, 0 corporate taxes.

If the government spends more money, fine, but tell the American people how much you plan on raising their taxes to do it.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM

414 posts, read 276,504 times
[quote=Memphis1979;23016189]Well that would greatly depend on what it was replaced with, now wouldn't it?

Now, asking "Do you like this program, and that program, and do you think providing this government service at the current levels?" Those are much more relevant questions. And, if you tell the person they are paid for by income tax, well, it might change someones mind.

I personally favor 1 federal flat tax. Any income over 40,000 dollars gets taxed at the exact same tax rate, 0 corporate taxes. [quote]

some good points. interesting thought on 0 corporate taxes. i'll add something to that...

just like the proverbial phrase "a captain goes down with the ship", all corporate BOD's and the top 3-5 levels of executive management, etc, etc (could also add the majority shareholders) are to be held personally liable for any and all corporate malfeasance, criminal and civil illegalities, environmental pollution (think superfund sites), etc, etc

the latter comes right out of the taxpayers pocket while the corporations file BK's and the millionaires walk away scott free...and the workers have lost their jobs.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Status: "It's Cold...the Homeless Need Your Donations" (set 15 days ago)

5,517 posts, read 2,188,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well that would greatly depend on what it was replaced with, now wouldn't it?

I personally favor 1 federal flat tax. Any income over 40,000 dollars gets taxed at the exact same tax rate, 0 corporate taxes.

If the government spends more money, fine, but tell the American people how much you plan on raising their taxes to do it.
Sooooo....

If the income tax were abolished would you protest?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM

8,521 posts, read 2,426,685 times
Powers not granted to the Feds are reserved by the states. So no federal tax, but the states would get ya. Some worse than others.

I wouldn't protest, but it's really not practical to think we can have zero taxation. We just need more equitable taxation. The rich pay too much.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Powers not granted to the Feds are reserved by the states. So no federal tax, but the states would get ya. Some worse than others.
The federal government can tax anything they want to tax, they have all the power in the world to do that constitutionally.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM

8,521 posts, read 2,426,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The federal government can tax anything they want to tax, they have all the power in the world to do that constitutionally.
And so can the states.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And so can the states.
Yep.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 PM

7,953 posts, read 7,103,582 times
I would not protest. In fact I question if it was really ratified. It is the one amendment I think had no validity and was only pushed through improperly.

It should be repealed and the IRS ended. We need other means to tax and stop wasting all this energy with tax forms. Imagine the forests used to deal with taxes.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 AM

11,101 posts, read 8,186,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sooooo....

If the income tax were abolished would you protest?
No I would not be able to protest,I would have a heart attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies