Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM

1,187 posts, read 993,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Or maybe he should have just passed out appropriate cards & candies that didn't blatantly proselytize or foist his mother's religious views on his classmates.

Ok wait... the school foisting THEIR moral beliefs on the teenagers is ok, but the little boy giving out "jesus loves you" valentines is wrong?? What happened to separation of church and STATE??

Pushing a moral agenda onto MY kids by the public school is unacceptable, but some other kid giving out valentines with a "religious" conotation is fine, because it's NOT the STATE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And perhaps the High School should have passed on the Love Fest and concentrated on college prep course academics instead of drunken sex prep instruction.
College prep courses... HA! They only teach their own moral agendas and test prep now a days, not actual academics!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I don't think the first school should allow what was going on there, and I think the second school should do away with the "drunk goggle" aspect completely. I wonder, in all this sex "education", if there's even the MENTION of waiting until you're committed with the person before having sex. Sure, include tips on safer sex. But I wonder if they say things like, "You shouldn't have sex with someone you don't want a child with, because no 'protection' is 100% effective, not to mention the emotional risks and aftermaths", because they should.
This is the kind of sex education we give our teens. Safe if it's going to happen, but it's MUCH better not to let it happen!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Kudos to mom for teaching her kid to act inappropriately?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Yea, you're right, she should have waited for the school to teach her kid to act inappropriately!! SHEESH!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Wrong! I do NOT agree with the schools teaching sex education like this, and not only have we had discussions with my two teen boys about sex, but they both know that if they will never have to buy condoms as long as they live in our house. We will provide them for them.... however, we've also discussed the emotional, physical, and possible financial consequences of sex as well. We don't condone the idea of them having sex, but we also don't want them dying or relying on the girl to keep them from having babies!

I totally disagree with the mock marriages as well. WTF! Why are they promoting teen marriage!?! It's like SF just wants to be "friends" with kids instead of teaching them any real world responsibility!

Also, as a PAGAN I see NO problem with the CHILD bringing in "jesus loves you" valentines. It was a sweet gesture done by a child, NOT the public school! I just don't understand why people have a problem with honest, sincere, loving messages.. just because it has "Jesus" in it, doesn't make it bad!
I would think if a person had Jesus in their hearts and their lives they wouldn't need his name on a cookie....

..a cookie that was to be distributed in a PUBLIC school (I'm so sorry that SOME people have no concept of what the word PUBLIC means but ya can't cure "stupid".)

Nope, can't distribute your bible in a PUBLIC school and ya can't preach your religion even with a cookie....

Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That magnet high school has a greatschools rating of 7 out of 10. Pretty good, far better than some of the 3 out of 10 I found when I looked up some random high schools in TN, TX, OH etc.

Aren't conservatives all about local control over education? So why do they keep saying what this and that school should do? Maybe San Francisco schools know best what works for San Francisco students.
Yeah, no kidding! For a party that claims to be all about small government, personal responsibility, and "MYOB," they sure seem to be constantly butting into other people's business!

FYI, as a former employee of a much less prestigious high school in San Francisco, I can say you are correct on all accounts... Galileo is one of the best schools in the city (people even lie just to get their kids in there), and a program like this IS important for SF students. We actually don't have a huge issue with teen pregnancy, and bullying seems much less prevalent than in other regions - so clearly whatever we're doing is working fine for us.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I don't think the first school should allow what was going on there, and I think the second school should do away with the "drunk goggle" aspect completely. I wonder, in all this sex "education", if there's even the MENTION of waiting until you're committed with the person before having sex. Sure, include tips on safer sex. But I wonder if they say things like, "You shouldn't have sex with someone you don't want a child with, because no 'protection' is 100% effective, not to mention the emotional risks and aftermaths", because they should.
If you wonder so much, maybe you should ask somebody there instead of speculating? Based on the sex Ed my former students received (not from me personally), I would wager yes - they most likely DO mention those things as part of this program.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Another thread bashing schools and teachers. Do some people spend hours searching the internet for these types of stories?
I would imagine so... it's getting pathetic, not to mention offensive and rather old. And these are typically the same folks who, in 10-15 years, will be bitching about the girls who didn't get sex Ed & ended up as welfare moms

Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
Freedom of speech. I know liberals are against it, but we have that in this country.

I don't want sexual topics foisted on my children.
I think you are confused... please read a little more on the issue of free speech, and while you're at it, do some research on the effectiveness of comprehensive safer sex education. Funny how you neocons cry "free speech!" when it comes to proselytizing in a public school, then turn around and try to supress a required (not to mention highly effective) school subject. Guess you only believe in freedom of the speech YOU deem appropriate?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I would think if a person had Jesus in their hearts and their lives they wouldn't need his name on a cookie....

..a cookie that was to be distributed in a PUBLIC school (I'm so sorry that SOME people have no concept of what the word PUBLIC means but ya can't cure "stupid".)

Nope, can't distribute your bible in a PUBLIC school and ya can't preach your religion even with a cookie....
You're right, you can't fix stupid...

and if you don't understand the difference between the STATE and a PRIVATE individual, then we both know that can't be fixed. IT was COOKIES for Kali's sake Not a bible, not Proselytizing!! Sheesh!

I suppose you believe that freedom of religion is supposed to be freedom FROM religion too, huh! ROFL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies