Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,855,373 times

Advertisements

It's not my concern, but it would be nice to see a civilized country in that part of the world.

I'd like to ski in Iran someday.

Iran's biggest secret: the skiing's great | Travel | The Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Let them work on it at their own pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,461,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
It's not my concern, but it would be nice to see a civilized country in that part of the world.

Yeah, will there's a lot of things you and I want but if someone else is not ready for it then we'll just have to wait.

[by their criteria maybe they figure they're already civilized]

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,517,411 times
One of the things non-westerner's despise about the west is our hubris which makes us think everybody wants to be like us and that anybody who isn't is somehow less civilized.

We're seeing a classic example of that right here in this thread. Everybody is just assuming that the Iranian's would be better off without question.

Good Lord! No wonder they hate us! Our arrogance is stupendous. We haven't learned a thing.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

In many aspects, America is better off with the new elite.

Santorum makes a million dollars a year just for being an expolitician and living in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
One of the things non-westerner's despise about the west is our hubris which makes us think everybody wants to be like us and that anybody who isn't is somehow less civilized.

We're seeing a classic example of that right here in this thread. Everybody is just assuming that the Iranian's would be better off without question.

Good Lord! No wonder they hate us! Our arrogance is stupendous. We haven't learned a thing.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,386,282 times
Its all about control. The powers that be will lose some power if Iran westernizes. In many ways it is similar to how the religious right in America says there is no right to privacy and that the church should play a role in controlling society.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-16-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,185,465 times
Why should they "westernize"? (whatever the heck that means).

I like their idea of cutting off a thief's hand(s) and having the death penalty for gays...

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,146,026 times
Quote:
Iranians, in many aspects, seem like reasonable people. Why not just Westernize?
They probably would as soon as you stop interfering and harassing them. Here's a novel idea: leave them the hell alone and let them get on with the business of life.

And I hope you're sitting down, because this might come as a shock to you:

It's not up to you to decide which cultures are worthy and which aren't.

That's what I love about you Liberals; you're all for cultural genocide.

Reasonably....

Mircea

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,184,213 times
Quote:

Iran is a civilized country. It's the Islamist government that's messed up. You would like Dizin for skiing. You'd like the beach resorts on the Caspian too. The Iranian people would love to "westernize" if they were allowed to. When I worked in Iran during the Shah's time, Tehran looked more like Milan than the Middle East, with the women in high heels and the latest fashions and the men in Armani suits, streets with sports cars and trendy restaurants, etc. Get the ayatolas and jihadists out of power and it will be that way again.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM

32,032 posts, read 15,030,775 times
They don't want to and it's not our place to get involved in their culture.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM

It is. I just don't know what to do with the Azores at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's not up to you to decide which cultures are worthy and which aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies