Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,215,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
How does a right-to-work law benefit workers?

Non-union workers reap the windfalls of union worker struggles without the sacrifice.

In other words, they get a free lunch
And that won't happen when we get Card Check will it? Who usually calls strikes that keep workers from working so they don't get paid? Why it is those unions and in most instances they get dues money from the non-members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,215,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
That's interesting. How did these union bosses approach employees? I've only known cases of employees banding together and contacting the union.

And in my experiences with union demands on an employer, the demands were always fair and nothing that would hurt a company's success. Unionized employees want fairness, not to run the company out of business, so the union works to reach an agreement between the workers and the execs. I've never personally witnessed union bosses who urged employees to make greater demands. If anything, they were more cautious than the union stewards as to what was put on the bargaining table.
The non-union workers at the soon to close Boeing plants in Wichita, Ks often found their cars had been eyed, the tires ice picked and so on. It was always obvious when members cars were left alone. Yeah, that sure happened in the right to work state of Kansas.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,521,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You remind me of a guy I once worked for.

When his company bought out ours, I was managing a private fleet of about 40 trucks when he came over to look at our operation. I provided him everything he asked for and, after looking over the details, he put his hands on my desk and said, "There's no reason for this! There's just no REASON FOR THIS!"

"What?" I asked.

"There's NO REASON for a truck driver to be making $50,000 a year! There's just no REASON FOR IT!" He got highly agitated at the idea of paying truck drivers a decent wage.

So...he set to work dismantling our fleet. It took him about 10 years, but he finally parked all those "overpriced" drivers in favor of the cheaper alternative of hiring low wage, no benefit common carriers to serve our customers.

Shortly thereafter, the business went bankrupt and sold itself off.

The point is that he had good drivers to start with, drivers who knew the business and knew the customers, drivers who would do anything it took to benefit the company and service the customer. They were well paid for that dedication and the company prospered because of it. When he eliminated them and put it all into the hands of people who didn't know the business, could care less about serving the customers and who would work for virtually nothing, he drove off our biggest customers who had come to rely on the service they got from those "overpaid" drivers.

In the end, you get what you pay for. If you want cheap labor, you can get it, but there's a trade off for that.
To me that is a typical republican. They do not value workers at all. In fact they see us as living to good with anything other than slave wages. Also they see you as easily replacable and say you have an attitude if they feel you dont know that. Right to work is just away to pay S%^& wages no vacatoin and no benefits and get away with it. I know I have lived it all my life. As a kid both parents worked everyday and the employers were dirt bags who sat in the church on Sunday knowing they provided nothing but 3.35 per hour. We never took a family vacation because they had no vacation time. The state covered our medical because we couldnt afford it. These republicans knew the state was supplementing us and had no problem making crazy money on my parents backs. It wasnt until I pulled us out of that hell and changed their mentallity that they finally woke up. When I see those people now they cant even look me in the eye. Because they know that I know what they did. I know right to work and I know republicans

Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It sound like his own greed did him in. Karma's a b*** ain't it.
Actually no. He made plenty during that time probably and got lots after the company went under.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM

428 posts, read 485,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One should never be required to join an organization in order to work for someone. When they have a choice and the company is being unfair to its workers, the choice is usually to go with the union, but too many unions are greedy and corrupt. I am talking about the unions in states where there are no right to work laws. When a person has the right to choose about their own welfare, they usually make the right choice and the corruption will not continue.
My thought is that if the long-time workers have already decided a union is necessary to protect themselves, why would a new employee not want to join that union? I can understand your concern about union corruption, but shouldn't union members then rally together to get the corrupted people out that union instead of rallying for a right-to-work state law?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,962,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Actually no. He made plenty during that time probably and got lots after the company went under.

But in the end his company went down the crapper.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now I know. You are a union leader. You know, the people who really do benefit from union dues.
Roy to be fair you were in the school system. Did you ever work for greedy shelfish people that seen you as a paid mule? That is what some employers are.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,338,077 times
Some people work for a firm that is their agent to negotiate contracts with a company (i.e. Contractors). Either individually or on a mass scale. The contracting company gets a percentage for services rendered. The contracting firm represents the employee.

Some people have agents, that represent only one persons interest. The agent gets a percentage for services rendered. The agent represents the employee.

And some have union representation in contracts. The union via dues get a percentage for services rendered to the member. The union represents the employee.

Every couple of years, i have to renew my contract. (I won't do one for less then two/three years - they can fire me for any reason, but they have to fulfill the contract, that is my only protection from political & personal whims of management, and against a change in ownership of the company). A lot of my time goes into renewing - others who do the same work with me, also work their own deals. Who knows who is getting paid how much for the same work. At least the union members that also work with/for me, are all on equal footing. Same job duties, same hourly pay. I have no reason to hold a grudge against them for having representation.

Last edited by plannine; 02-17-2012 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM

428 posts, read 485,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The non-union workers at the soon to close Boeing plants in Wichita, Ks often found their cars had been eyed, the tires ice picked and so on. It was always obvious when members cars were left alone. Yeah, that sure happened in the right to work state of Kansas.
That's unfortunate people acted so childishly, whether they were union members or not.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,571,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You remind me of a guy I once worked for.

When his company bought out ours, I was managing a private fleet of about 40 trucks when he came over to look at our operation. I provided him everything he asked for and, after looking over the details, he put his hands on my desk and said, "There's no reason for this! There's just no REASON FOR THIS!"

"What?" I asked.

"There's NO REASON for a truck driver to be making $50,000 a year! There's just no REASON FOR IT!" He got highly agitated at the idea of paying truck drivers a decent wage.

So...he set to work dismantling our fleet. It took him about 10 years, but he finally parked all those "overpriced" drivers in favor of the cheaper alternative of hiring low wage, no benefit common carriers to serve our customers.

Shortly thereafter, the business went bankrupt and sold itself off.

The point is that he had good drivers to start with, drivers who knew the business and knew the customers, drivers who would do anything it took to benefit the company and service the customer. They were well paid for that dedication and the company prospered because of it. When he eliminated them and put it all into the hands of people who didn't know the business, could care less about serving the customers and who would work for virtually nothing, he drove off our biggest customers who had come to rely on the service they got from those "overpaid" drivers.

In the end, you get what you pay for. If you want cheap labor, you can get it, but there's a trade off for that.
You remind me of a government job where there were people who knew how to do their jobs and worked their heads off for a boss that appreciated what they did. Then new management came and insisted on having people with a master's degree to do the very lowest jobs. They had no interest in what they were doing and cared less about the patrons they served. They were just filling a position that they though was beneath them.

Next thing that happened was that people stopped coming to them for help. But you know what. They are still there, filling a spot and we are paying taxes to house those very educated bored people that no one wants to be around because of their attitude.

It works both ways. Just because a person is paid more, does not mean they are better employees. That man was probably just a bad manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies