U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 2,871,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The golden parachute would be gone if the government would stay out of business. No business should be too big to fail. It is time for the corruption in our nation to stop and as long as our politicans are courting those that are robbing everybody, it will continue.

I worked at a job that required a master's degree and never made as much as the union workers starting salary. I am not complaining about what I made. I am doing just fine because I worked hard and saved. When union workers make the higher salaries, it just raises the prices of everything in the area. It is useless to make so much money. I smile every time I pay taxes and realize their greed is costing them more money.
"The golden parachute would be gone if the government would stay out of business. No business should be too big to fail."

How do we stop them from getting too big to fail if the government doesn't step in and say hey you're too big?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM

4,897 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
How does a right-to-work law benefit workers?

Non-union workers reap the windfalls of union worker struggles without the sacrifice.

In other words, they get a free lunch
Yeah that's true. I think there are a few benefits the unions workers get that the nonunion workers don't get but they're still getting a free lunch. Actually I think the nonunion workers should get the company's first offer and only the union workers should get whatever the union was able to negoiate

Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM

55,496 posts, read 74,394,948 times
it doesnt. it takes us back to sinclair lewis, the jungle.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM

14,778 posts, read 13,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The current attacks on labor, via the right to work legislation, is designed, I believe, to neuter one of the strongest supporters of the Democratic Party. Labor unions. It's not about providing some sort of benefit to workers. Or, in the long run ... employers.
I bet you are right. But interesting how when it comes to passing new laws restricting public employee unions, Republicans in at least some states don't want to include police and fire unions. I assume this is because police and firemen give attractive amounts to Republican campaigns.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-17-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,823,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u r so right.
the jealousy factor makes americans cry ---down with unions and pensions.
millions for CEO's, billions for foreign aid, trillions for DOD war mongers
but when a financial crisis arises what is the only solution --- cut pensions and wages.
do u think the corporations and government are your friends? think again.
Don't forget Social Security Insurance and medicare. Got to bankroll those trillions to wall street.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"No one should be forced to be in a union, or pay union dues, simply to get a job".
But it's a FACT that it is against federal law to be required to join a labor union as a condition for securing employment. It's been that way since the 1940s.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,823,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
"The golden parachute would be gone if the government would stay out of business. No business should be too big to fail."

How do we stop them from getting too big to fail if the government doesn't step in and say hey you're too big?
Anti-Trust?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM

39,203 posts, read 40,587,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Actually considering a union votes on all benefits and salary increases, you get a say in that as well .
Well now that's an interesting statement. There's a group of teachers for special needs in this area with union representation that is going through the negotiating process, the board gave their last best offer to the union which didn't respond to it and refused to send the proposal to it's members.

Quote:
He said the board gave the union several offers, including a final best offer on Jan. 11. When there was no answer by the deadline, Kornoski said the board's negotiating team asked union representatives to take it back to the members, but the union refused.
"We told them up front that if we don't hear from them, we will be sending a copy of the proposal to the members, which we did," he said.
The LIU board's charge also states, "In order to move bargaining, the LIU (board) was forced to mail a proposal to the Association's negotiations team."

Read more: LIU board files complaint against teachers union - News - Citizens Voice

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,133,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It doesn't. It benefits the employer. Calling it right to work is a sham
You mean to say that a person who doesn't want to belong to a union should do so because that is the only help for him? I guess you just can't see that many people have no desire to belong to a union or pay union dues. Yep, it helps them.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Michigan, the bastion of uniondom, led the US in unemployment for the vast majority of the last decade, OP. The transplants have provided tens of thousands of jobs, and have yet to open one in a closed shop state. 3 are scouting new site locations, and all are in RTW states. The reality is all closed shop does is reduce future employment opportunities.

Unions exist in RTW states, but management manages. The inmates are not running the asylum, as is often the atmostphere in a closed shop, unionized facility.
Yet, in Michigan, where Republcians now rule, they are split on the Right to Work issue. The Republican governor has little interest in it. Probably Republicans can see how NOT having Right to Work in that state has been effective in keeping new unions out of Michigan over the years, being that only 18% of Michigan workers are unionized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or