U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM

36,596 posts, read 16,008,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelliott333 View Post
I work in CPS as a special education teacher. What our union has asked will surely will not get. The union is throwing out a extremely large number so that the teacher get some sort of raise. Our district is extending the school day(which I think is a good thing for students), we just would like to be compensated for that. Yes, our school day is now is going to be 7 hours. What most do not understand is that I am staying after school 2 plus hours a day. Our school is not staffed adequately and I have to take on many more students then I normally would. Being special ed I do not teach a normal classroom, but am assigned a case load of students to monitor. Having 23 students is a large task. That being said some of our schools traditional classroom are severely overcrowded. This is Chicago this is not the suburbs that you see 20-25 students who actually care about their future. Some classrooms get up to 32 or 33 students of students who could not care less. You cannot image how hard it is to manage a classroom of that size in a poorly performing school. Yes, we get summers off, some use that time to recovery from the year. I myself have to work for a paving company. You may see what a CPS teachers start off making is around 50k topping out at 85k on average. Most people do not know that we are required to live in the city. It is the law, and if we our caught commuting from the suburbs we can be terminated. It is extremely expensive to living in the city. Mine and my fiances rent is 1200 a month with utilities of 200 more, we pay 4.15 for gas, student loans( I do not have much but its still something), 200 a month for my retirement because most young teachers like myself are skeptical about the future of the pension system, not to mention everything cost more food, insurance, going out. I am not saying that I struggle financially, but most make me out to be the part of the evil teachers union who is getting rich off the system. Please learn more about situations before you judge.
What I get from your post is that you don't have "students". You are just babysitting. If that is the case you should be paid babysitter rates, not teacher rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM

55,577 posts, read 74,459,549 times
im no stranger to chicago. sounds like combat pay to me.
strange we can give billions to palestine and israel but a pay raise for an american worker, a highly skilled one at that, is considered outrageous.
i am a former resident and a native of chicago and dont have to deal with it anymore, but it just seems workers deserve to get paid.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-18-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,362,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I get from your post is that you don't have "students". You are just babysitting. If that is the case you should be paid babysitter rates, not teacher rates.
Ah, but that "babysitter" will be judged by how many of those kids pass the state tests. That "babysitter" will be held accountable if those kids that could care less don't pass.

Such are the schools today my friend. If anything goes wrong, it's the teacher's fault.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM

12 posts, read 15,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
There are lots of people who would love to make $50,000 a year. And they wouldn't demand a $15,000 raise from the taxpayers, most of whom are broke and/or make less than $50,000.

And yeah, teachers and public service employees are getting rich off the system because of the evil unions. You're the one who needs to learn the facts. The sad part for you is that the corrupt system established by your union and the Democrat party is simply not sustainable. So you're not going to get the gravy in the end. You can thank your union and the Democrats they elect.

Thats right make this a democratic party issue. Of course all systems are flawed some people take advantage of it. Just like in the private world businesses and certain people take advantage of the system to get rich while others suffer from it. I am not complaining about my salary. Teachers salaries are based off cost of living for the general area. I agree a 15,000 dollar raise is out of the question. I honestly could care less if I make more money, but to attack every teacher for the few that take advantage of the system. I can be closed minded democrat, and say the bank bailouts under Bush in 2008 that CEOS and CFOs of failing companies get million dollar bonuses is not sustainable and should be outright illegal. I am willing to admit there are flaws in our union, but there are just as many flaws in the private world.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

If you think you can do my job I would say go right ahead. I world in a CPS high needs school. 99% of our students get free/reduced lunch and breakfast. My schools neighborhood most of the students/families live below the poverty line. I am a behavioral disorder teacher at a high school in that setting. Yes, I do some babysitting because some students are very hard to reach. I am still in help accountable if my students do not make gains. I understand I cannot reach every student I came to realize this when i started a few years ago. Reaching as many students as I can is the only way to keep them out of prison. Half my students are in gangs, and simply do not know any better because that is all they know. I have been attacked, threatened and, spit on. My goal is to show them that there is something more then the neighborhood.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM

4,991 posts, read 1,994,722 times
Quote:
Thats right make this a democratic party issue. Of course all systems are flawed some people take advantage of it. Just like in the private world businesses and certain people take advantage of the system to get rich while others suffer from it. I am not complaining about my salary. Teachers salaries are based off cost of living for the general area. I agree a 15,000 dollar raise is out of the question. I honestly could care less if I make more money, but to attack every teacher for the few that take advantage of the system. I can be closed minded democrat, and say the bank bailouts under Bush in 2008 that CEOS and CFOs of failing companies get million dollar bonuses is not sustainable and should be outright illegal. I am willing to admit there are flaws in our union, but there are just as many flaws in the private world.

Your union made it a democratic party issue when they stormed Springfield in 2010 chanting "Raise my taxes!".

Old 02-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Your union made it a democratic party issue when they stormed Springfield in 2010 chanting "Raise my taxes!".

Does not mean that is the view of all of us. Not everyone in the union is democrat. I myself do not identify with a specific party because I find it ignorant to be so closed minded. Do I think we should get a 30% hell no. I do think we should be given a simple cost of living raise.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,350,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Chicago teachers asking for 30% raises over next 2 years - chicagotribune.com

I hope it passes. The liberals in Chicago who keep supporting the unions and foisting dopes like Barry Obama and Dick Durbin on the rest of the country deserve to pay. Dearly.
please i live to close to chicago all hell will break loose soon. when the city of chicago runs out of money and the ability to borrow it. god help me!!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ah, but that "babysitter" will be judged by how many of those kids pass the state tests. That "babysitter" will be held accountable if those kids that could care less don't pass.

Such are the schools today my friend. If anything goes wrong, it's the teacher's fault.
And what a shame that is!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Does not mean that is the view of all of us. Not everyone in the union is democrat. I myself do not identify with a specific party because I find it ignorant to be so closed minded. Do I think we should get a 30% hell no. I do think we should be given a simple cost of living raise.
Before we give you your COL raise, I haven't had a raise at all in 3 years, why don't you tell us what YOU give toward your retirement and how much YOU pay of your health care insurance.

And give us the the details of your retirement plan.

All thees things are part of the total benefit package, not just salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies