U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,031,839 times

Advertisements

Statistically, I'm not impressed.

By the way, I can't find the margins of error anywhere on the website. I find that interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,762,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Believing in Jesus is not an escape from reality. Believe it or not, Christians put their pants on the same way you do....one leg at a time. Get this...they also breathe the same air as you do and go to the same schools as you do and drive on the same roads as you do! That's some far-fetched reality, isn't it!
As do Atheists, Jews, Muslims, Gnostics, Rastafarians, Buddhists, Hindus, Jainists, Sikhs, Zoroastrians, Taoists, Wiccans...

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM

10,598 posts, read 12,098,374 times
Not surprising at all. I *wish* I could suspend logic, have "faith", and put my worries into the hands of another. I can't and, yes, it leaves me with some angst, naturally.

I do worry that dying's gonna hurt and I know I'm not moving on to a better place--so yeah, atheism isn't overly comforting in that arena.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,813,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Not surprising at all. I *wish* I could suspend logic, have "faith", and put my worries into the hands of another. I can't and, yes, it leaves me with some angst, naturally.

I do worry that dying's gonna hurt and I know I'm not moving on to a better place--so yeah, atheism isn't overly comforting in that arena.
At least you're honest. That's more than most Atheists are willing to concede.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,228,872 times
Children can be very happy and enjoy a sense of wellbeing while playing with their imaginary friends.

Some mental patients seem very happy and enjoy the time they spend listening to the voices in their heads.

I find the fact that people who believe in an imaginary sky daddy also claim to be happy meaningless.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,817,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
From a Gallup study released today:

"An analysis of more than 676,000 Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index interviews conducted in 2011 and 2010 finds that Americans who are the most religious have the highest levels of wellbeing. The statistically significant relationship between religiousness and wellbeing holds up after controlling for numerous demographic variables."
As opposed to fundies who forge a life making everyone as miserable as they are.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,813,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
The self righteous always have an overabundance of pride in their actions, rarely doubt their convictions, and think they already understand it all.

That is not something to be proud of, it is something that requires reflection of the soul.
What's wrong with having confidence? If faith gives someone confidence in themselves, why do you have a problem with that?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM

10,032 posts, read 7,110,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
From a Gallup study released today:

"An analysis of more than 676,000 Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index interviews conducted in 2011 and 2010 finds that Americans who are the most religious have the highest levels of wellbeing. The statistically significant relationship between religiousness and wellbeing holds up after controlling for numerous demographic variables."
As an atheist who enjoys spending Sundays doing things other than worshiping statues or the sky I think this is hogwash.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,744,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What's wrong with having confidence? If faith gives someone confidence in themselves, why do you have a problem with that?
Confidence that you are right because a 2,000 year old book told you all the answers to everything is not confidence based on sound reason. Confidence based on some idea of self projection as god is not one either. That is confidence based in ignorance and arrogance.

Certainly not every person who is religious is that way, but you would be hard pressed not to find people like that in gatherings of fundamentalists, creationists, and Biblical literalists.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,420,234 times
I'm sorta amused by some of the results. They claim that religious people have "healthier behaviors" (positive 9.2 points) the religious folks are not healthier than non-religious folks (non-religious are 0.6 points ahead there). That in spite of the fact that a far larger percentage of non-religious people smoke and have poor eating habits... Very Religious Americans Lead Healthier Lives

Conclusion, smoking, drinking, gluttony, sexual depravity, and a generally reckless lifestyle, while morally wrong might be VERY good for you health wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies