Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
I'll pay more and send it FedEx before I use the pousa.
Even though the postal service is cheaper compared to FedEx and big brown?

Big brown is on of the post offices biggest customers. Why is that? Because it is cheaper for big brown to mail packages than to deliver them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,218 times
I wish they would make it $20 per letter. Perhaps this would finally put a stop to the mountain of junk mail I get on a weekly basis.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Post Office is existing on junk mail now. They really do rely on it to stay in business.
First class mail declines more each year.

30% of the mail delivered is first class..the other 70% is "junk" mail.
The only customers the post office courts these days are advertisers.

We all hate junk mail and yet the USPS needs junk mail for its continued existence and needs it to increase every year to make up for the declining first class mail. How backwards is that ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/su...pagewanted=all
But to cover its costs, the post office needs to keep mail volume high. And even some high-end direct mailers worry that the contents of American mailboxes are coming to resemble a paper infomercial.
They get a lot of revenue from priority mail and parcel post, too.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 PM

The postal service survives on the delivery of much of the UPS packages.

And the only reason they have a budget crunch is a lame duck bill bush and the gop rammed thru in Dec of 2008 that says the Postal Service, alone among federal agencies, must meet an annual financial obligation of more than $5 billion, imposed by Congress, to fund future retiree health-care costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Post Office is existing on junk mail now. They really do rely on it to stay in business.
First class mail declines more each year.

30% of the mail delivered is first class..the other 70% is "junk" mail.
The only customers the post office courts these days are advertisers.

We all hate junk mail and yet the USPS needs junk mail for its continued existence and needs it to increase every year to make up for the declining first class mail. How backwards is that ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/su...pagewanted=all
But to cover its costs, the post office needs to keep mail volume high. And even some high-end direct mailers worry that the contents of American mailboxes are coming to resemble a paper infomercial.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yet no protest for the way grocers are gouging us.

Interesting.
Yep.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,666 times
I say put the postal service out of business .This will stop any "outrage ".This way you can still be "outrage" by paying infull for everything you do have to mail .

Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Oh, you'll luv this.... http://www.shippingsidekick.com/getr...sResidential=0

If that goes to my comparison results it will be the comparison of the cost of a two pound package from my home zip code to Nashville. The best rates per service provider UPS $10.57 by Tuesday, FedEx $9.26 by Tuesday and USPS (US MAIL) $5.35 by MONDAY, a day earlier. AND if it was media (books) US MAIL cost was $2.89 by Tuesday.

If I need it there tomorrow Big Brown could do it for either $103 or $69....

Why does a "private" sector company cost so much? Should the USPS raise there rate more?

Oh, little known FACT, one of the USPS biggest customers is.... BIG BROWN.
ok. when you said they "move mail and most packages cheaper," I thought you were talking about the costs they incur, not the prices they charge. i don't know a whole lot about the USPS but i was under the impression that they were subsidized or protected by the u.s. government in some way.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
ok. when you said they "move mail and most packages cheaper," I thought you were talking about the costs they incur, not the prices they charge. i don't know a whole lot about the USPS but i was under the impression that they were subsidized or protected by the u.s. government in some way.
No, by law they are supposed to be self funded. Two problems, CREATED BY THE GOP, have interfered with that. One is the commission that approves rate increases. They have prevented several rate increases in last few years. The other is the lame duck law Bush and the GOP pushed thru in December of 2008 that requires the post office to full fund their retiree pensions and health care benefits for the next 75 years. No other governmental agency, no private insurance company, pension fund, or corporation in this country it required to do that. Only the post office and they are being force to do that NOW without being able to raise rates. Even though they deliver packages for much less than their private sector competition. Heck, Big Brown is one of the post office's biggest customers.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
They have never been subsidized, but thanks to the GOP, they're being sabatoged.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The USPS office does not take government money and where else can you send something across the country for such a reasonable rate? They are getting screwed over by the asinine policy that the Republicans put in place ...“prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in an astonishing ten-year time span” — meaning that it had to put aside billions of dollars to pay for the health benefits of employees it hasn’t even hired yet, something “that no other government or private corporation is required to do.”

Gives these workers and The USPS a Break! You're "outraged' at the wrong entity.
"The USPS office does not take government money" is actually a mis-conceptiom.

While they don't get dollars directly they DO get federal benefits which are paid for with tax dollars.
All of their federal retirement and health benefits are provided and administrated by OPM.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-18-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies