U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,755,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Where does this fit into all those rules?
Troops March In Gay Pride Parade In San Diego
Good question! All I can give you, my friend, is my honest opinion and nothing more.

From the only picture included, none of them are in their uniform. So that right there means they are in the clear.

It's a tricky matter, really, when one is in the military and wants to show support of a movement or a position. The general idea is so long as you don't go out wearing your uniform and making the false statement that so-and-so branch supposedly supports this or that, then it's all good.

Yes the men and women in the photo are wearing shirts and clothing items that may say the word Navy or Army on it, but that's just it. Beyond the words on the shirts and the title of the article, nothing in that photo shows me proof that any of them are military members.

Hope that makes sense. Again that's just my opinion on the matter.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 PM

21,457 posts, read 14,373,173 times
The term 'Troops' is being applied very freely these days to both active duty military and discharged recent veterans alike.

All the stuff already written about the active duty members is true. In addition, many of these volunteers joined the military with potential career ambitions in mind. Breaking the military law by appearing at a political rally in uniform would do more than just land them in misdemeanor grade trouble; it could well put an effective end to their advancement in grade.

No career-minded Private wants to remain a Private for years, and no Lieutenant wants to stay at that grade forever, either. In or out of uniform, these folks will have that on their minds if they show up. Many may decide against it on second thought.

Politics comes and goes, and any member who has been in service for 8 years or more has already seen several comings and goings.

The vets who are discharged are civilians once again. They don't have to obey the UCMJ any more, and could probably wear their uniforms (I don't know of any law forbidding it). This may give the appearance of them still being active duty, but I think most will not wear it all. There's not much sense in doing so if it could hurt their old unit or comrades in any way.

I'll bet those vets who show up for the march will be wearing their old service caps, jackets, etc. in a mix with civilian apparel, and the active members who march will do so in civvies. It will look a lot like the old Viet Nam protest rallies.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,839,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
Good question! All I can give you, my friend, is my honest opinion and nothing more.

From the only picture included, none of them are in their uniform. So that right there means they are in the clear.

It's a tricky matter, really, when one is in the military and wants to show support of a movement or a position. The general idea is so long as you don't go out wearing your uniform and making the false statement that so-and-so branch supposedly supports this or that, then it's all good.

Yes the men and women in the photo are wearing shirts and clothing items that may say the word Navy or Army on it, but that's just it. Beyond the words on the shirts and the title of the article, nothing in that photo shows me proof that any of them are military members.

Hope that makes sense. Again that's just my opinion on the matter.
Good try, but I believe this has more to do with disdain for Ron Paul's message, than any rules. Here's the video of the parade. They should be okay, as long as they wear t-shirts, carry flags, signs, and have a giant armored vehicle accompany them.

First ever Active Duty LGBT Military march for Gay pride in San Diego July 2011 - YouTube

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,755,468 times
Quote:
Good try, but I believe this has more to do with disdain for Ron Paul's message, than any rules. Here's the video of the parade. They should be okay, as long as they wear t-shirts, carry flags, signs, and have a giant armored vehicle accompany them.

First ever Active Duty LGBT Military march for Gay pride in San Diego July 2011 - YouTube
Well yeah. What you said it is right...except for the part about the heavy armored vehicle. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything really.

If I were to venture to guess, I'd say that's around to prevent any violence from breaking out.

Anyway, as I said it was only my opinion and nothing more. I don't take it as being absolute but that same time I don't believe I'm wrong either.

Nice video though.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,421 times
To me, these rules against troops supporting a candidate in uniform reek of authoritarianism and a breaking of the first amendment.

So because you're in the military, you're denied your first amendment rights?

Why would anyone want to join a military that doesn't respect our freedoms?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM

22,894 posts, read 16,272,657 times
Quote:
Where does this fit into all those rules?
Troops March In Gay Pride Parade In San Diego
This is a non-partisan event.
These events are not organized to show support for a specific political candidate but to exercise a desire for equal rights.

The difference is pretty clearly explained here:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/milit...ilpolitics.htm

Last edited by TigerLily24; 02-18-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,903,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
To me, these rules against troops supporting a candidate in uniform reek of authoritarianism and a breaking of the first amendment.

Umm, you have a point, but you do know what GI stands for don't you? As to Authoritarianism, that would be your govt. I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise.

I mean take your pick.

authoritarian [ɔːˌθɒrɪˈtɛərɪən]adj
favouring, denoting, or characterized by strict obedience to authority
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) favouring, denoting, or relating to government by a small elite with wide powers
3. despotic; dictatorial; domineering

n (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person who favours or practises authoritarian policies
authoritarianism
n

Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

Did you actually think that the military was a democracy?

Really?

These rules are as much for their protection as they are for ours.
You know what it is called when the military rises up and appoints their own leader right?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion, however, unless/until you can prove that the rules are not applied equally to every candidate running for office, it is just that - an opinion.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did you actually think that the military was a democracy?

Really?

These rules are as much for their protection as they are for ours.
You know what it is called when the military rises up and appoints their own leader right?
The troops are American citizens. Correct? Are they not entitled to their first amendment rights?

No one is talking about the military appointing a leader. We're talking about individual soldiers, marines, or sailors being able to support the candidate as they see fit in society at large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies