U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 AM

66,483 posts, read 33,773,808 times

Advertisements

You have the governments army, and you have the peoples army.

They have taken an oath to uphold the Constitution.....

By peaceful means or by force, the US Constitution is the Holy Grail of this Nation.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 9,838,516 times
Why do the troops support Ron Paul?

Troops Expose the RON PAUL - YouTube

Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM

22,892 posts, read 16,266,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The troops are American citizens. Correct? Are they not entitled to their first amendment rights?

No one is talking about the military appointing a leader. We're talking about individual soldiers, marines, or sailors being able to support the candidate as they see fit in society at large.
They are perfectly within their rights to do so as individual private citizens.

However specific to this topic, they (from the link I posted earlier):

"Cannot - Participate in partisan political fundraising activities, rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on ones own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator.
Cannot - Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.
Cannot - March or ride in a partisan political parade."

Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM

4,999 posts, read 3,883,236 times
Attached Thumbnails
Brass Tell Troops Not to March in Ron Paul Rally-leave-ron-paul-alone.jpg  

Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 AM

50,586 posts, read 26,698,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Active duty military are not allowed to march in any politician's campaign wearing the uniform of the US. They can participate so long as they go in civilian attire and don't attribute the logos or insignia of the US Armed Forces to the campaign.
Pretty much. This is what i was always told when i was on active duty. I could participate in any political activity i wanted to, but NOT in uniform, and i wasn't to make any claims of doing any specific job on behalf of the Army itself.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
They are perfectly within their rights to do so as individual private citizens.

However specific to this topic, they (from the link I posted earlier):

"Cannot - Participate in partisan political fundraising activities, rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on ones own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator.
Cannot - Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.
Cannot - March or ride in a partisan political parade."
And you think this is constitutional?

Do you view this as appropriate?

Who would want to join a military that limits your rights. Oh yeah, sign up and potentially get killed fighting unconstitutional, unjust wars, while we then take away your rights.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

5,334 posts, read 6,139,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
And you think this is constitutional?

Do you view this as appropriate?

Who would want to join a military that limits your rights. Oh yeah, sign up and potentially get killed fighting unconstitutional, unjust wars, while we then take away your rights.
Are you serious? Guess what? The military can inspect a soldier's belongings and personal effects without a search warrant. The military can jail you for insubordination or desertion - your civilian employer sure can't. The military is not the civilian world and they've had additional rules and restrictions since the Continental Army.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Are you serious? Guess what? The military can inspect a soldier's belongings and personal effects without a search warrant. The military can jail you for insubordination or desertion - your civilian employer sure can't. The military is not the civilian world and they've had additional rules and restrictions since the Continental Army.
Sounds like slavery to me. It's a wonder they get anybody to volunteer.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,651,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Sounds like slavery to me. It's a wonder they get anybody to volunteer.
I guess some men and women simply love their country more than you do.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,261,176 times
It makes one wonder what they are dying for. It certainly isn't for the First Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies