U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,730,748 times
Reputation: 5437

Advertisements

WWI vets back in the day were given bonuses when they left the service but the ceftificates weren't redeemable until later on. Many of em were out of work and marched to demand their bonus money and were run off by the army. I think Roosevelt even vetoed a bill pay em early.

 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,571,029 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
I don't have an issue with any of this personally, but if any of these folks that are active duty decide to march in uniform then they are making a grave mistake.

Think what you want, modeerf, you have that right and I'm not going to sit here and attempt to take that away from you. My only concern is if there's going to be those who know full well the results of their actions yet they still choose to march in uniform, which is a big no-no. Not because it's taboo, but because there's rules and regulations set in place barring this specific thing.

Other than that, hopefully this goes well.
You've never seen an active duty service man standing next to a Presidential candidate at a rally?

Why is it so serious now?
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,571,029 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
LoL, not crapping their pants...trying to save some one from themselves. He can do it out of uniform all he wants, but in uniform is a dishonorable discharge.
You didn't watch the video, per usual... A navy JAG said it was illegal for them to march at all. Regardless of the Uniform.

Quote:
Most employers look at that like a felony as an acquaintance found out when he tried to get a job after service. He would have made a great EMT as well, but now he's hammering nails with illegals.
Don't have a conviction in your bones.

Quote:
If he wants to screw himself, more power to him. Watch how many people turn a deaf ear when he realizes what he lost for stubborn pride.
Pride? I think it's more like Freedom.

Quote:
There are many more constructive ways to meet his goals that will help those in need and not screw himself. Start a charity, volunteer as a counselor, work in campaign drives to raise money, start a political action group to change how we help vets. Standing there saluting for 10 minutes and getting fired is about the least productive.
Yeh some of the spine less colonials had the same answer. Good thing we had Patrick Henry to sway the Continental Congress.
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,571,029 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
WWI vets back in the day were given bonuses when they left the service but the ceftificates weren't redeemable until later on. Many of em were out of work and marched to demand their bonus money and were run off by the army. I think Roosevelt even vetoed a bill pay em early.
FDR... the handout, freedom hating KING?

Wonder how the Papers covered that one....
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
4,375 posts, read 2,755,878 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
You've never seen an active duty service man standing next to a Presidential candidate at a rally?

Why is it so serious now?
The difference being that standing there at a rally more than likely means that it was set up that way. The military wanted eyes on the rally and to make sure things didn't get out of hand and sent a representative. These things happen. Just because a military person in uniform is at a rally that doesn't mean they support said presidential candidate.

The reason why it's such a big deal now is because these active duty folk know better and as was pointed out above, their actions if taken in uniform, are grounds for dishonorable discharge. Disagree and not like it all you want but every single man and woman signed the dotted line of their own free will and are now choosing to walk against the person they've sworn to obey, their Commander and Chief.
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,571,029 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
The difference being that standing there at a rally more than likely means that it was set up that way. The military wanted eyes on the rally and to make sure things didn't get out of hand and sent a representative. These things happen. Just because a military person in uniform is at a rally that doesn't mean they support said presidential candidate.

The reason why it's such a big deal now is because these active duty folk know better and as was pointed out above, their actions if taken in uniform, are grounds for dishonorable discharge. Disagree and not like it all you want but every single man and woman signed the dotted line of their own free will and are now choosing to walk against the person they've sworn to obey, their Commander and Chief.
An oath to the President or to the US Constitution?

This Potus is an enemy of the State.

He needs to be removed. Just like Bush needed to be removed.
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
 
5,037 posts, read 4,359,576 times
Reputation: 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
You've never seen an active duty service man standing next to a Presidential candidate at a rally?

Why is it so serious now?
As an active duty member, you are not suppose to do such things. You basically lose certain rights while serving, especially in uniform. You dont have all out freedom of speech and that is widely known to those who serve.
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,571,029 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
As an active duty member, you are not suppose to do such things. You basically lose certain rights while serving, especially in uniform. You dont have all out freedom of speech and that is widely known to those who serve.
Why is it enforced when people support Ron Paul and not when they are at a George Bush or Obama Rally?

Why has this never been an issue before?
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
4,375 posts, read 2,755,878 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
An oath to the President or to the US Constitution?

This Potus is an enemy of the State.

He needs to be removed. Just like Bush needed to be removed.
Just because *you* think the POTUS is an enemy of the state that does not make him so. That is merely your opinion and nothing more.

Once you accept that, you'll understand why the active duty member aren't allowed to march in uniform.

You trade in certain rights that civilians have in order to gain a lot of power in the form of being a military member. Everyone who signs up are well aware of the pros and cons of doing this.
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 2,571,029 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
Just because *you* think the POTUS is an enemy of the state that does not make him so. That is merely your opinion and nothing more.

Once you accept that, you'll understand why the active duty member aren't allowed to march in uniform.

You trade in certain rights that civilians have in order to gain a lot of power in the form of being a military member. Everyone who signs up are well aware of the pros and cons of doing this.
Status quo never helped anyone.

Active Military have sworn an oath to defend the US Constitution. Not a broken political system that has sold the country to foreign and domestic military/banking cartels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top