Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,437,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McGarrett View Post
....Nathan Bedford Forrest...
always a good name to evoke when trying to explain a word wasn't used in a racist context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
Quote:
The term 'cotton pickin' is used in everyday small talk in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It appears you have never lived in the south.

I have.

And I have never once heard anybody ever use the phrase.
I agree with you, I live in the south and have never heard that phrase save for in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
The term 'cotton pickin' is used in everyday small talk in the south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It appears you have never lived in the south.

I have.

And I have never once heard anybody ever use the phrase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree with you, I live in the south and have never heard that phrase save for in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.
I've lived in the south my whole life and have also never heard that phrase.

Birthers live in a world full of delusions.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I, too, have lived in the SOuth, and that expression was not used except in cartoons. But calling someone "boy" certainly was used often, always in a derogatory, racist manner.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM

802 posts, read 563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I hear it all the time when I head to the south to visit family and hunt. In fact I've heard it all my life when I have visited around the agriculture communities that harvest cotton and soy bean. Some of my family were sharecroppers back in the day. I hear it in the restaurants and everywhere where there are gatherings. Maybe not in the big cities in the south but in the rural areas, yes. Believe me, it is said quite often.

Lighten up folks.
Cotton-picking

Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,437,840 times
Quote:
I hear it in the restaurants and everywhere where there are gatherings.
are there flaming crosses at these gatherings?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
I hear it all the time when I head to the south to visit family and hunt. In fact I've heard it all my life when I have visited around the agriculture communities that harvest cotton and soy bean. Some of my family were sharecroppers back in the day. I hear it in the restaurants and everywhere where there are gatherings. Maybe not in the big cities in the south but in the rural areas, yes. Believe me, it is said quite often.

Lighten up folks.
Cotton-picking
You know what Steve, I don't agree with most of your posts but I was born in Mississippi and saw racism first hand. I do believe that "cotton pickin" is used quite often in the rural areas still. It's just the way there.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
are there flaming crosses at these gatherings?
Why would they be, especially at restaurants like this one:

thecottonpickininn.com
Come join us at the Cotton Pickin' Inn for some hearty, southern, home-cooked meals! Here at the restaurant, we specialize in country-style and Italian cuisine, our specialty being meat and potato pasties, mmm. One day a week, we want to hear the music you can make! Stop in for open mic night and live pickin'. Join us every, or any Friday and Saturday for dinner and live bluegrass music in the Pickin Hall.

Or this one at the Cotton Pickin Chicken restaurant:

Home

Or have a good ole cotton pickin time in Arkansas at the 35th Annual Delta Cotton Pickin’ Jubilee
35th Annual Delta Cotton Pickin

Nope, no protests at any of those places for having that name included. You see, the term is used to this day and it is used in daily language in the south. That's a fact. Historiondude, you and others need to brush up on your southern facts and culture.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You know what Steve, I don't agree with most of your posts but I was born in Mississippi and saw racism first hand. I do believe that "cotton pickin" is used quite often in the rural areas still. It's just the way there.
I know but I fly to Mississippi alot to hunt there around Greenville and down to Alabama around Gulf Shores to trout fish where Cotton is all over the place around the Foley area north of there. I hear the term used all the time but it isn't considered racist by no means. I mean people say it without realizing it. It's natural to them. Go into the feed stores around the rural areas and you will hear it. To say it isn't said because you didn't hear it when you visited there at one time or another like Historiandude says doesn't mean it's not being said.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I, too, have lived in the SOuth, and that expression was not used except in cartoons. But calling someone "boy" certainly was used often, always in a derogatory, racist manner.
Rubbish. You don't know what the hell your talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies