Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This would be interestingly germane to the conversation. I'm actually shocked at HOW MANY controversies surround this.

The racist illiterates in DC that fired the first guy after an internal review actually had HIM apologizing by the end of it. How the HECK do you have a review and then fire the guy for using the word? Oh well at least he apologized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...22*****rdly%22

P.S. This isn't directed at you, it's meant to just parallel the conversation. I find you to be pretty reasonable about these things. (unlike the guy that keeps defending Kilpatrick lol)
Yea, well i don't understand why he was fired, but knowing the crowd he was working, i would've chosen a better word than that one. It has lots of synonyms that wouldn't have been as explosive. Besides, no one ever uses the word anymore in conversation. Not because it's wrong to use it, but because it's simply fallen out of use. Perhaps the folks that fired him just thought it was a bad use of a malaprop...who knows? I don't think anyone had ever heard the word before, and that led to his firing. My personal opinion....

Bottom line is that he got his job back. Thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
What does a homonym have anything to do with anything. In today's politically correct atmosphere, "*****" is unacceptable, all semantics aside.
No it's not. If Lin were a white player, the word ch*nk most certainly wouldn't have run into any problems. Ditto for if he were a black player.

This isn't a semantical argument. It's an argument about a beat writer using a metaphor for losing in an attempt to try to be clever and it backfired because the word is a homonym for a racial group AND a flaw in ones character/armor/etc.

So you can't say the word is unacceptable in all forms. That's nonsense.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,302,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*****rdly? That's censored out? It's not even spelled the same. Geez.

It would appear that whoever set up the software must have anticipated misspellings, maybe from white racists, maybe from rap afficianados, or likely from both groups. lol.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

840 posts, read 779,311 times
LOL..I find it funny...I have enough common sense to look past the idiotic pc bs and find something that is funny to be funny.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,290,092 times
Political Correctness is CENSORSHIP with manners, but censorship nonetheless.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM

14,643 posts, read 14,546,835 times
I'm confused by the last two posts....are you saying it's wrong to speak against hurtful racial slurs?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,435,481 times
When I read the quote, I instantly saw the word used as an insult towards Chinese, a word used in the same manner as the n word towards blacks by racist. The fact that some of you don't see it that way either shows your ignorance of racism towards Asians here in this country or you only have racism eyes when it's directed towards blacks.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When I read the quote, I instantly saw the word used as an insult towards Chinese, a word used in the same manner as the n word towards blacks by racist. The fact that some of you don't see it that way either shows your ignorance of racism towards Asians here in this country or you only have racism eyes when it's directed towards blacks.
Calm down. The Asians can take care of themselves. They don't need your undying and strident defense.

And yea....if it's directed towards blacks and it's intentionally meant to insult, i'mma come see ya. No doubt about it. So what.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,626,613 times
Good grief! PC is destroying this country.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,563,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
No, White males are the only group legally discriminated against. Nice joke, "bro".
By white males.......that's strange. Where in the law does it legally sanction discrimination against white men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies