Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What are you talking about? How would I not pocket that much?
My state,NJ,to qualify for Medicaid its 20,000 dollars.

My sis,lives in Nc. They make 40,00 for a family of 8. The children qualify for Medicaid,but not the adults.

Also,with section 8 vouchers,you can move anywhere. You are getting housing suthories and sectin 8 mixed up.

Say if a property in upsscale Livingston accepts section 8. Section 8 only pays 1000 toward the rent. That person could make up the other 1000 dollars.

Who can get Section 8 vouchers? At my last job, most of the employees lived in SRO rooming houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
They do pay a higher proportion.
Say the tax rate is a flat 15% of all income. Person A makes $100,000/yr while Person B makes $25,000/yr. Person A contributes $15,000 in taxes while Person B contributes $3,750 in taxes.

But not only are the needy getting supported some "wanty" are getting supported now as well.

Cost of living is $20,000/yr.

Person A pays 18.75% of discretionary income in taxes.

Person B pays 75% of discretionary income in taxes. You think B's not paying enough tax?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The liberals want to tax employer-sponsored medical plans to help fund Obamacare and then argue its not income. Love it.

I want to tax employer-paid medical plans and repeal Obamacare. It's income, and should be taxed as such.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Who can get Section 8 vouchers? At my last job, most of the employees lived in SRO rooming houses.
Half the university of Iowa football team was living in section 8 housing before they got busted. Hell the head football coach's own kid was too and he makes 3.5 million a year. Work the system and the system takes care of you. The left makes sure of that.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So, instead of having actual policy ideas on how to address the growing income gap and the economy, the right has decided that it's the poor to blame for dwindling middle class. This ranks only slightly more pants-on-head stupid than the, "The poor aren't poor because they have refrigerators," talking point.
Well if I look at the stats over the last 100 years the income gap has shrunk. And while in the short-term there is an increase, the overall trend line clearly shows the gap is decreasing.

A fridge doesn't mean someone is rich anymore than flying in a private jet makes somebody rich.

The real solution is to reduce government.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,950,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Well if I look at the stats over the last 100 years the income gap has shrunk. And while in the short-term there is an increase, the overall trend line clearly shows the gap is decreasing.
Over the past 100 years, yes it did. But 100 years ago there was nothing to speak of a middle class at all. The whole breaking-up monopolies, large scalei industrialization, and the institution of a progressive income tax is why we created such a large middle class. The gap began broadening 30 years ago and really took off in the early 90's.

Quote:
A fridge doesn't mean someone is rich anymore than flying in a private jet makes somebody rich.

The real solution is to reduce government.
What? Who's saying that a person is rich because they have a fridge? In 2012 America, having the ability to refrigerate food doesn't mean you're not poor, and tats the recent talking point coming from pundits and internet shills. And maybe you can enlighten me on how my middle income self can fly around in a private plane?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 PM

994 posts, read 723,847 times
Quote:
So, instead of having actual policy ideas on how to address the growing income gap and the economy, the right has decided that it's the poor to blame for dwindling middle class. This ranks only slightly more pants-on-head stupid than the, "The poor aren't poor because they have refrigerators," talking point.
You seem to take for granted that we should address the income gap at all. So the income gap is growing. So what? Why is this something that needs "addressing"?

And what are you basing this "the right blames the poor for the shrinking middle class" argument on? Sounds like a straw man argument to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,950,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
You seem to take for granted that we should address the income gap at all. So the income gap is growing. So what? Why is this something that needs "addressing"?
Functioning democracies require a large and healthy middle class. We used to have a major income gap, it was the Guilded Age, and that name was no superlative. Also, having a middle class, and a comfortable underclass, is an insurance policy of stability for the wealthy. Without it, there's the whole lawless masses, pitchforks and other unpleasantness.

Quote:
And what are you basing this "the right blames the poor for the shrinking middle class" argument on? Sounds like a straw man argument to me.
Not one that I made up, It was blatantly the OP's (false) assertion that the middle class is shrinking because the poor have it so good.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
I used Turbo Tax just like you just did. So gtfo here with that BS.

Your post said "someone" would pay 8-9% max at a $60k income. Not a "family"
I'm a "someone" and gave you my information.

I'm sure you're the smartest person you know so tell me, what can I legally claim to lower my 16+% effective federal rate @ $73k gross?

Single, no kids, no mortgage.

Under my plan, the number of affordable homes available to singles would necessarily skyrocket.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Over the past 100 years, yes it did. But 100 years ago there was nothing to speak of a middle class at all. The whole breaking-up monopolies, large scalei industrialization, and the institution of a progressive income tax is why we created such a large middle class. The gap began broadening 30 years ago and really took off in the early 90's.

What? Who's saying that a person is rich because they have a fridge? In 2012 America, having the ability to refrigerate food doesn't mean you're not poor, and tats the recent talking point coming from pundits and internet shills. And maybe you can enlighten me on how my middle income self can fly around in a private plane?

Speaking of tats, the more a person has of them, the less and less likely they are to be rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies