U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,690,392 times

Advertisements

You folks need to read if you want to see where the numbers are coming from. As for medicaid.........

First of all, working one week a month, saves big-time on child care. But the real big-ticket item is Medicaid, which has minimal deductibles and copays. By working only one week a month at a minimum wage job, a provider is able to get total medical coverage for next to nothing.
Compare this to the family provider making $60,000 a year. A typical Mississippi family coverage would cost around $12,000, adding deductibles and copays adds an additional $4,500 or so to the bill. That's a huge hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,258,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, we should get rid of Medicaid, which mainly benefits the elderly and children

It does not benefit "children". It benefits the parents of those children that do not want to get stuck with bills for their childrens medical care.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 8,768,034 times
In related news, a person who makes minimum wage has more disposable income than a CEO making $2 million a year.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,024,958 times
So if I understand the Democrats correctly, cutting the projected rate of spending counts as a deficit reduction, even though the deficit is still increasing, but providing a family tens of thousands in benefits doesn't count as income to them.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 02-18-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 PM

86,904 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'll bite just to point how stupid your thread is. Time to fact check your data dude.

I'm guessing YOU'RE the one that has been forwarding all those bogus wingnut email, full of lies, without any checking of fact.
Just because a Blogger posted into the ether doesn't make it fact.

Just did my taxes and by chance my taxable income, two people, was $58,900 (gross income was $78,000) for last year. My federal income taxes were $4,574 using standard deduction. I guess that family of three (not four) gets more income exemptions for three people.

Feel free to explain how this mythical family paid $13,000 while we paid $4,574. Fantasy vs reality, that is how.

Next, Medicaid is NOT cash into someone's hand, by what stretch of your imagination does that become "disposal income"? Your being deluded. Without that stretch of reality the premise fails.

Next, you severely misstated FACT. the ONLY family that edged out the $60k was the $14k family.

Next flaw, your myth assume families qualify for aid. Aid isn't automatic. Just like the SSDI Myth you're playing with, SSDI is extremely difficult to get. It takes years to win and your eligibility standards are complete bull. I think 95% of all initial SSDI claims are denied.

Mercy dictate your thread dies quickly and you avoid the pain of pushing such lies.
Another thing is the food stamp calculation is incorrect. You don't get all that SNAP money. It's complicated, but while your food allottment may be the same at each income level, the amount you are expected to contribute rises with income, and the SNAP money decreases.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Not one left hander is at all outraged about this entitlement nonsense. They are just upset folks aren't getting enough of the gubmnt teet it appears. When everyone is on the dole and there are no tax dollars to fund it what will you scream about then? Bush? That seems the only plan that they have. Everything is "free" according to them. I guess 17 billion in the hole isn't enough. Oops I forgot three zeroes I meant trillion but hey what is that anyway when everything is free.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,031,359 times
Correct, KUChief, we are a future Greece at our present spending pace. Several more EU nations are also on the way. At that point, the left can blame who they wish to, but we will be worse off than we were during the 1930s. We need a large percentage of the lifetime takers to become productive, taxpaying citizens. We can support those truly unable through disability, age, whatever, but we cannot sustain a society when tens of millions CHOOSE to depend on others.

I'd love to see what the assistance rolls would look like if the able bodied had to work as barter for benefits. Things like cleaning parks, filling potholes, etc.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 AM

18,978 posts, read 15,446,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Smash255"Not to mention, the author absolutely lied about the taxes the family making $60,000 paid. Outright lied about it. Do the math, under no circumstances is a family making $60,000 paying the $13,000 in federal and payroll taxes (even without the payroll tax cut taken into consideration"

Assuming the temporary 2% holiday we're excluded, 13.6 is quite possible. It is 22.7 percent, so after SS, that leaves 15k for state, city, plus FIT. Most states are several percent even at that level, as many have pretty much flat taxes. So if we assume 3% state, that leaves 12% for FIT. Hardly an unusual rate.
The article said family making $60,000, not a family with a taxable income of $60,0000. Once you add in the personal exemptions and standard deduction, that family making $60,000 actually has taxable income in the mid to upper 30's, not to mention it has another section for state income tax in it.

Take ot the payroll taxes and you are still left with (according to the article) a family with children paying about $8,500 in federal taxes with a taxable income of under $40,000 BULL ISH.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 AM

Does that mean that 60 cents is worth less than 4 cents?

Brilliant.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No surprise every lefty rushes in defending this insanity.
Well you know how lefties are with their worship of science and math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies