U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM

6,722 posts, read 4,420,920 times

Advertisements

where's this bar? I'm a non union carpenter and I'd luv to get on on 1/2 price beer.....

Oh wait, you are just making stuff up to paper over the STUFF the Blogger made up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Stated another way:

You and your friend go to the bar. You are a union carpenter and he is a general carpenter. You make X dollars per hour, and he makes 0.5X dollars per hour.

You order a beer and the bartender charges you $5. Your friend orders a beer and she charges him $2.50. When you question her why his beer was less, she tells you that non-union carpenters are charged less because they earn less, and the government subsidizes the bar owner half of every non-union beer to help equalize the disparity.

You both received the same economic benefit. The value of your dollar is half his for this transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM

6,021 posts, read 13,521,006 times
Now that I think about it, a prisoner at Rikers is probably making bank. Think about how much housing is in NYC per square footage. Prisoners get free housing, food, health care, and entertainment in America's most expensive city. They're obviously doing better than a family making $60K/year

Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,325,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What has been proven in this entire thread is that the left doesn't care. They are the ones destroying the middle class with their entitlement programs. They hear their leaders blame republicans and fall in line like usual but also like usual they are wrong. All I hear is arguments about how the tax numbers are off or this is counted more than it should be bla bla bla. Fact is with all the entitlement programs thrown out there it's about just as fruitfull to sit at home and check the mailbox for your free money as it is to go out and try and make a living, you know what the middle class used to do.

You left siders can deflect, call me names, attack the source, do your usual nonsense but it doesn't change facts. Middle class is disappearing just as fast as those dropping out of the work force. Do you ever question why? Or do you think they all hit the lottery?

What has been proven in this thread is that radical, irrational right wingers will make things up and then use that fantasy to feed their phony outrage.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM

12,172 posts, read 7,024,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
where's this bar? I'm a non union carpenter and I'd luv to get on on 1/2 price beer.....

Oh wait, you are just making stuff up to paper over the STUFF the Blogger made up.....
No, I wasn't defending the author because I didn't read the link. I was answering a specific question about the value of currency and economic benefit.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Now that I think about it, a prisoner at Rikers is probably making bank. Think about how much housing is in NYC per square footage. Prisoners get free housing, food, health care, and entertainment in America's most expensive city. They're obviously doing better than a family making $60K/year
Quantitatively they might be. Qualitatively they are not.

Get yourself a book on finance. Compute the NPV of Riker's versus living free. There might be more economic benefit from incarceration than living free. Certainly the outflows and inflows are much less.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:44 AM

21,286 posts, read 14,283,502 times
I have made $3500 a year, and I have made $60,000 a year.
When I made $60,000, I most definitely had more money than when I made $3500.

This is just extremely twisted nonsense.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have made $3500 a year, and I have made $60,000 a year.
When I made $60,000, I most definitely had more money than when I made $3500.

This is just extremely twisted nonsense.
I haven't read it but I agree. If it had stated $18,000 and $60,000 I might have believed it.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM

533 posts, read 855,196 times
Actually a welfare mother with 3 kids can have a equal or higher standard of living than a 2 parent family with 2 kids.
The 2 parent family at 60K is probably bringing home about $4000.00 monthly after taxes. In my area a modest 3 bedroom house rents for about $1500.00, add another $300.00 for gas and electric. Groceries are going to be $800.00 at least. If their health insurance is typical they will have a deductible and copays that could easily add up to $500.00 a month for medical, dental, rx and 1 or 2 ER visits per year. That leaves less than $1000.00 per month for car expenses, clothing, phone etc. and hopefully the kids are not in daycare.
Meanwhile the welfare mother does not pay a dime for groceries or healthcare and if she has a section 8 certificate she can rent the 3 bedroom house next to the wage earners for $200 to $300. Govt. programs will also cover her heat, electric and even cell phone bill. The kids get free breakfast and lunch at school. If she is adept at working the system there are vouchers for clothing, furniture even cars.This leaves plenty of extra cash for hair, nails, tattoos and fast food meals at least a few times a week.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 AM

586 posts, read 514,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'll bite just to point how stupid your thread is. Time to fact check your data dude.

I'm guessing YOU'RE the one that has been forwarding all those bogus wingnut email, full of lies, without any checking of fact.
Just because a Blogger posted into the ether doesn't make it fact.

Just did my taxes and by chance my taxable income, two people, was $58,900 (gross income was $78,000) for last year. My federal income taxes were $4,574 using standard deduction. I guess that family of three (not four) gets more income exemptions for three people.

Feel free to explain how this mythical family paid $13,000 while we paid $4,574. Fantasy vs reality, that is how.

Next, Medicaid is NOT cash into someone's hand, by what stretch of your imagination does that become "disposal income"? Your being deluded. Without that stretch of reality the premise fails.

Next, you severely misstated FACT. the ONLY family that edged out the $60k was the $14k family.

Next flaw, your myth assume families qualify for aid. Aid isn't automatic. Just like the SSDI Myth you're playing with, SSDI is extremely difficult to get. It takes years to win and your eligibility standards are complete bull. I think 95% of all initial SSDI claims are denied.

Mercy dictate your thread dies quickly and you avoid the pain of pushing such lies.

I did mine a few weeks ago.
Single, no kids, no mortgage.
Grossed $73k (minus 401k and insurance) = taxable wages were ~$68k.
I paid ~$11k in fed taxes throughout the year and broke even.

Effective federal rate was 16.2%

Add to that the almost $10k in state tax, SS and medicare.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
I did mine a few weeks ago.
Single, no kids, no mortgage.
Grossed $73k (minus 401k and insurance) = taxable wages were ~$68k.
I paid ~$11k in fed taxes throughout the year and broke even.

Effective federal rate was 16.2%

Add to that the almost $10k in state tax, SS and medicare.
Max your 401(k) this year if you can. Best investment ever for someone in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies