Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 PM

38,604 posts, read 26,225,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Those rankings are apples to kiwi (no offense to New Zealand) comparisons. Don't believe what the Cato Institute tells you. They are nuts, and are working to dismantle the public education system in this country. They want to go back to the pre-public school era.

The reason I said I believe in school choice is b/c many inner-city schools do not "work". However, I still think the best solution is to improve the public schools rather than to give a few select kids a private school education with public money.

"Improve public schools"?

They get worse every year!

How do you propose we improve public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,352,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Perhaps you could enlighten us regarding these alleged security concerns, as I've never heard anyone spell them out.

If only a few lotto winners are going to get those vouchers then I seriously doubt public school funding will be hurt.
If you cannot figure out why the president's kids would be a target for all sorts of unsavory people I don't know what to tell you.

Every dollar you give out in vouchers bleeds public schools and means there is less money for everyone still in them.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Perhaps you could enlighten us regarding these alleged security concerns, as I've never heard anyone spell them out.

If only a few lotto winners are going to get those vouchers then I seriously doubt public school funding will be hurt.
Jeez, Louise! Are you that dense? The children of the POTUS face an enormous security risk. There are all sorts of nuts out there. Do I really have to tell you that? People who don't like the pres, pedophiles, etc, etc, etc. Good gravy!

If only a few lotto winners get these vouchers what is their point?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,183,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Because it is

P-R-O-H-I-B-I-T-I-V-E-L-Y
E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.

you are talking about astronomically increasing per pupil expenditure over time.

I think everyone should have access to a basic education. If you want more you can pay for it. It should not be some people get vouchers and others get next to nothing.
So you favor the rich

Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you favor the rich
I favor the government doing what is feasible to help the poor. I oppose rigging government programs for failure. The entire system favors the rich and nothing is going to change that.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,322,017 times
Quote:
If you cannot figure out why the president's kids would be a target for all sorts of unsavory people I don't know what to tell you.

Every dollar you give out in vouchers bleeds public schools and means there is less money for everyone still in them.
Plenty of kids are targets for unsavory people, including mine. Unfortunately, the tuition at Sidwell Friends is beyond the budget. What exactly does Sidwell Friends do to safeguard BOs punishments from these unsavory sorts? Why is there no public institution capable of doing the same.

If I homeschool I also bleed the public schools.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Plenty of kids are targets for unsavory people, including mine. Unfortunately, the tuition at Sidwell Friends is beyond the budget. What exactly does Sidwell Friends do to safeguard BOs punishments from these unsavory sorts? Why is there no public institution capable of doing the same.

If I homeschool I also bleed the public schools.
I am just going to have to believe you are being deliberately obtuse regarding the need for extra precautions for children of presidents.

Secondly as long as you are paying your rent, or property taxes you are not bleeding money out of the schools. In fact by homeschooling you are probably saving your district money.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,183,762 times
Quote:
I favor the government doing what is feasible to help the poor. I oppose rigging government programs for failure. The entire system favors the rich and nothing is going to change that.
Our education system is not working very well

8,852 posts, read 5,322,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Jeez, Louise! Are you that dense? The children of the POTUS face an enormous security risk. There are all sorts of nuts out there. Do I really have to tell you that? People who don't like the pres, pedophiles, etc, etc, etc. Good gravy!

If only a few lotto winners get these vouchers what is their point?
A few lotto winners don't attend the cesspools claiming to be public schools.

There are pedophiles around here as well.

18,782 posts, read 17,278,583 times
Quote:
Let me put it this way. Why is it that the GOP, which in every other case has been intent on destroying welfare, and other poverty programs somehow so supportive of vouchers? Why do you think that would be?
It's an apples/oranges comparison. Education is not primarily meant as assistance to the poor. It may fill that purpose to some extent, but only as a side effect. The main idea is to prepare children, whether rich or poor for life ahead. The question doesn't really even make sense. It's like asking 'why is it that Democrats always push jobs programs, yet want to cut the military.' Two different matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent

Basically vouchers rob public schools of funds to give a lucky few a premium education. It's like arguing the lotto is an effective anti-poverty measure.
You don't appear to be familiar with how vouchers even work. With vouchers, the funding just goes to parents instead of to the school. The
parent then decides which school best works for their child, and transfers the voucher over to that school. There is no "lucky few." Every child is provided public funding for their education, just as now. They're just not shackled to a 'one size fits all' local public school.

It's not unlike the Pell Grant system, except that there is no means testing. Do you regard the Pell Grants as a nefarious GOP scheme?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies