Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times

Advertisements

I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

On another discussion it was suggested that abstinence doesn't work as a form of birth control. The statistics tell a different story.

In 1965, before the birth control pill became ubiquitous in this country, out-of-wedlock births were just 5.3%.

By 2009, with artificial contraception firmly entrenched not only as an option but as an obligation, out-of-wedlock births had reached 41.0%

The reason is more than obvious: the contraceptive mentality screams "sex without consequences is OK". Contraception leads to promiscuity, which leads to higher rates of illegitimacy, abortion, STDs and so forth.

Conclusion: abstinence works, contraception is a disaster.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-15-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Contraception, abortions, and conseqence-free sex are as American As Apple Pie to the Liberal establishment. They can't fathom a country that doesn't have pie!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Contraception, abortions, and conseqence-free sex are as American As Apple Pie to the Liberal establishment. They can't fathom a country that doesn't have pie!
Quite right, AeroGuy. This whole assault on religious freedom by the Left is about nothing other than guaranteeing everyone the "right" to sex without responsibility.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,383 times
The idea that people shouldn't have sex outside or marriage or shouldn't have sex unless it's for procreation is absurd. I don't think that's what the OP is getting at though. I do think people need to understand the consequences

Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Yes before around 1965, if you brought a child into the world w/o the wherewithal to raise it, you knew it was going to be a tough row to hoe. So people largely avoided doing that.

Now you can have a kid regardless of your capacity to care for it. The tooth fairy in DC will take care of all.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The idea that people shouldn't have sex outside or marriage or shouldn't have sex unless it's for procreation is absurd.
The idea that sexual intimacy should be reserved exclusively to people who are married to each other is just plain common sense that was understood by virtually everyone until the 1960s. There were even laws against fornication in eighteen states.

Sexual intercourse leads to children, and children need a family. It's not complicated.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yes before around 1965, if you brought a child into the world w/o the wherewithal to raise it, you knew it was going to be a tough row to hoe. So people largely avoided doing that.

Now you can have a kid regardless of your capacity to care for it. The tooth fairy in DC will take care of all.
This is probably the greatest cause for the increase of bastard (i.e. out of wedlock) children. The large social services available to single mothers and the public subsidizing of illegitimacy naturally leads to an increase in it. Add in the fact that popular culture no longer stigmatizes it but instead often glorifies it and it really isn't that hard to understand why it has increased so much.
Why is it that responsible people have to subsidize the irresponsible?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

We also had separate drinking fountains in many states and segregated schools.

Perhaps we have evolved in many ways and you refuse to board the train?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The idea that people shouldn't have sex outside or marriage or shouldn't have sex unless it's for procreation is absurd. I don't think that's what the OP is getting at though. I do think people need to understand the consequences
Actually, from other posts I've read by the OP, I believe he/she considers contraception is sinful - even for married couples.

If I'm wrong, I am sure that he/she will correct me.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We also had separate drinking fountains in many states and segregated schools.

Perhaps we have evolved in many ways and you refuse to board the train?
Are you really making this comparison?

Are you saying that a belief that people shouldn't have children when they can't afford them is comparable to racism?

People having children should be able to care for them. Period. That was what wutitiz was saying.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-15-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies