U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "You don't need a gun, if you make wise choices in life"
I agree with this statement. 41 14.75%
I disagree with this statement. 237 85.25%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,394,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
How about a SOG Vietnam Special Forces bowie? Serial number #388!
How about a matched pair of fairbairne-sykes V3's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

33,914 posts, read 18,445,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But it's true, most people can't carry in NY.

FOPA lets anyone carry any gun when stored in a certain way when passing through any state to a destination where the guns are legal. NY likes to ignore this federal law though.
\Go back and read what Sam said.....he did not say sorta, he did not say maybe, he did not say kinda....Sam said you cannot carry in NY, do you have a different definition of what "cannot" means?

A federal law? What are you talking about, CCW is not a federal law, it is a state law....

Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
\Go back and read what Sam said.....he did not say sorta, he did not say maybe, he did not say kinda....Sam said you cannot carry in NY, do you have a different definition of what "cannot" means?

A federal law? What are you talking about, CCW is not a federal law, it is a state law....
When it's effectively impossible for the vast majority of people who'd like to carry, I'd say it might as well be a ban the same as chicago has, where they still let a privileged few carry.

You said you can't even carry a long gun through NY. I thought you were referring to transporting one through NY?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 930,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
How about a matched pair of fairbairne-sykes V3's?
Nice!! I like all the stuff. Some I use and some I don't. That SOG is a collectors item now. I'm not using that anymore. I'll just use my Cold Steel SRK or Recon tanto or Ka-Bar USMC. I have three of those. My old one and two newer ones never issued and brand new.

Quote:

In order for the U.S. The first being unrestricted. I think someone said Alaska is one of them back at The Fort. The next being shall issue. The third...may issue. This is what NY is. The last being no issue. You won't or can't get one no matter what.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
When it's effectively impossible for the vast majority of people who'd like to carry, I'd say it might as well be a ban the same as chicago has, where they still let a privileged few carry.

You said you can't even carry a long gun through NY. I thought you were referring to transporting one through NY?
Yes, I was talking about transporting....but even then you can transport through NY...But it cannot be for "just traveling through" it must be far a reason....

Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Nice!! I like all the stuff. Some I use and some I don't. That SOG is a collectors item now. I'm not using that anymore. I'll just use my Cold Steel SRK or Recon tanto or Ka-Bar USMC. I have three of those. My old one and two newer ones never issued and brand new.

In order for the U.S. The first being unrestricted. I think someone said Alaska is one of them back at The Fort. The next being shall issue. The third...may issue. This is what NY is. The last being no issue. You won't or can't get one no matter what.
Thanks for proving yourself wrong....people can carry, if they go through the right channels.....it may be and very well looks like a pain n the ASS to get a carry permit in NY...but it can be done...and you have proved it....

I bet you guys would freak out if you knew you can OPEN carry in Philly....YES open carry in Philadelphia....:eek :

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Quote:
Yes, I was talking about transporting....but even then you can transport through NY...But it cannot be for "just traveling through" it must be far a reason....
Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FOPA is a very useful federal law, when states obey it...

Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 930,090 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving yourself wrong....people can carry, if they go through the right channels.....it may be and very well looks like a pain n the ASS to get a carry permit in NY...but it can be done...and you have proved it....

I bet you guys would freak out if you knew you can OPEN carry in Philly....YES open carry in Philadelphia....:eek :
I'm a "shall issue". If you want one and have been a good little boy, are old enough and meet all the requirements, it's as good as yours.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I'm a "shall issue". If you want one and have been a good little boy, are old enough and meet all the requirements, it's as good as yours.
So, when you said "can't" that was completely wrong....

That's o.k. Sam, it happens...

Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,594,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree. Never in my 45 years have I been in a single situation where a gun would have helped. I've never been in a situation where I needed to end another human's life.

I make wise choices like not being involved in drugs, gangs, or involved with people who use drugs or in gangs. I don't have "shady" friends, get involved in illegal activities, or hang out in bad neighborhoods or anywhere in the middle of the night.
Um...I don't do drugs, I'm not involved in gangs, or involved with anyone who does any of those things. I stick to safe areas and go in groups if I go out at night. I don't have "shady" friends either.

I've been in situations where a gun would have very useful--not to kill, but even the threat itself might have kept my personhood intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or