U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "You don't need a gun, if you make wise choices in life"
I agree with this statement. 41 14.75%
I disagree with this statement. 237 85.25%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,655,704 times

Advertisements

Owning a gun is akin to Homeowners or Auto insurance in that you hope you never, ever need to use it but you are darn thankful it is there should something cause you to need it. This is also part of the reason I spend time keeping in shape and practicing martial arts/self defence. In addition to being a deterrent for thugs/hot heads/wannabe Emienem idiots.

While making smart choices about how you live, where you go and when and how you secure your home and valuables can mitigate the need for a gun no one is ever 100% safe.

I'm not interested in "empathizing" with some thug or trying to "see where he's coming from" should he decide to harm me or someone close to me. I'm going to protect myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,147,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Absolutely disagree.

A group of well educated, fine upstanding individuals were in a home in a nice neighborhood. They had made wise choices in life and were living well.

Two men forced their way into the home resulting in the 5 people being raped, sodomized, forced to perform sexually for their attackers, then hauled naked to the banks to withdraw cash from ATMS. Taken to a field, forced to kneel naked in the snow they were shot in the back of their heads execution style. One of the women survived, and after the attackers left she ran naked in the snow to a home to find help.

I wish they'd had guns, maybe one of them would have been able to stop the deaths of the rest of his friends.
I remember that one since it happened less than 100 miles from me. Where in SW Kansas do you live? Don't tell me because some here might hire one of the criminal gun owners to come looking for you.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,814,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Owning a gun is akin to Homeowners or Auto insurance in that you hope you never, ever need to use it but you are darn thankful it is there should something cause you to need it. This is also part of the reason I spend time keeping in shape and practicing martial arts/self defence. In addition to being a deterrent for thugs/hot heads/wannabe Emienem idiots.

While making smart choices about how you live, where you go and when and how you secure your home and valuables can mitigate the need for a gun no one is ever 100% safe.

I'm not interested in "empathizing" with some thug or trying to "see where he's coming from" should he decide to harm me or someone close to me. I'm going to protect myself.
I've used my auto insurance multiple times, as recent as last year. I would compare it more to a parachute while riding in a plane.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM

33,930 posts, read 18,453,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've used my auto insurance multiple times, as recent as last year. I would compare it more to a parachute while riding in a plane.

Only if you fly every single day of your life......

Are you glad you had your insurance?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Only if you fly every single day of your life......

Are you glad you had your insurance?
yes, and if my home was getting invaded as often as I was in car crashes I'd probably be carrying.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM

35,070 posts, read 19,184,144 times
Quote:
You could say the same for a parachute. Should I carry a parachute every time I fly in an airplane?

Suit yourself.

A gun is a lot more compact and convenient.

Here's the deal...

I'll keep carrying a gun (I have the license) and you can carry your parachute. I don't know if you'll need a license for it, though.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,814,917 times
You are walking your dog down by the river/ All of sudden a pack of 3 rabid dogs come out of the woods. You have 10 seconds before they attack you and your dog. Would you like to have a gun or let them ravage you and your dog?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Suit yourself.

A gun is a lot more compact and convenient.

Here's the deal...

I'll keep carrying a gun (I have the license) and you can carry your parachute. I don't know if you'll need a license for it, though.
When I fly, I worry the plane might crash, but I still don't carry a parachute. Should I?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

33,930 posts, read 18,453,438 times
Quote:
When I fly, I worry the plane might crash, but I still don't carry a parachute. Should I?

O.K., I'll play, what type of plane are you flying?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 930,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post

The same can be said about weapon wielding gangbanger teenagers. They won't hesitate to take your life. Why should you be afraid of shooting them just because they are 14-17? Some ended up killing their victim because of it. The person with the firearm couldn't do it and waited too long. Oh well, more money he just stole for crack... adding murder to his already long rapsheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or