U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: "You don't need a gun, if you make wise choices in life"
I agree with this statement. 41 14.75%
I disagree with this statement. 237 85.25%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: San Diego
17,250 posts, read 13,397,142 times
Reputation: 6082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I most certainly consider shooting animals for sport murder - as only human arrogance would deem us having an exclusive right to life and liberty. My perspective (on higher animals) has always been that there - but for the luck of the draw - go I. And I reverse the roles asking myself how would I feel about being hunted for sport. The immorality is clear.

Shooting to eat is different, though not something I would ever do. I don't call it murder, but I do call it unnecessary. In most cases these days I think there's a sport element involved even if the animal is consumed and it is barbarism that we should strive to rise above.
Wow, you've insulted 45 million Americans with that. I am glad that most don't feel as you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,587 posts, read 3,788,202 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
only human arrogance would deem us having an exclusive right to life and liberty.

In most cases these days I think there's a sport element involved (in hunting) even if the animal is consumed and it is barbarism that we should strive to rise above.
So many liberal ivory-tower theories depend on changing human nature - something no one has ever succeeded in actually doing.

Where it gets dangerous, is when they start imposing laws on the rest of us as though it's already been done.

That's the fundamental reason reason why the 2nd amendment is important - and one of the basic reasons reason the liberals don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,587 posts, read 3,788,202 times
Reputation: 4068
Actually I should change my vote in the poll, to YES.

If I make wise choices in life, I won't need a gun... because I will have already chosen to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,585 posts, read 11,192,994 times
Reputation: 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
There's certainly a recreational aspect to modern hunting (and all hunting throughout history), but humans hunting is not something that needs to be justified; it's part and parcel of what we are. You're way out of touch if you don't recognize that.
As are the vast majority of city critters. If their meat did not come cellophane-wrapped from a grocery store they would starve to death. They are utterly dependent upon others. Chris McCandless is a perfect example. He came to Alaska to go "Into The Wild" and promptly starved to death. He did not even make it off the road system.

This is why city critters are always the first to get aid in any disaster. They are so removed from reality they can no longer take care of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,587 posts, read 3,788,202 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch
As are the vast majority of city critters. If their meat did not come cellophane-wrapped from a grocery store they would starve to death. They are utterly dependent upon others. Chris McCandless is a perfect example. He came to Alaska to go "Into The Wild" and promptly starved to death. He did not even make it off the road system.
When you go into most large parks in the U.S., you find signs saying "Please do not feed the bears", or other wildlife. The reason is because the wildlife becomes used to getting its food from nearby humans, and loses the ability to survive on their own.

The harm caused by coddling animals is well known. And it used to be about humans, too... but our government seems to have forgotten it.

When will they ever learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
3,981 posts, read 2,134,556 times
Reputation: 2744
I had a pretty impressive record for wise choices before deciding to challenge the gun nut mentality in another thread a few days ago.

I knew, of course, that there would be some blow-back. But surely, I thought, there would be at least a 50-50 balance by those who can think past their nose and understand the source and the cause of this kind of headline appearing in our news almost every day. This is the world you create and ensure with your close-minded lock-step adherence to your childhood teachings of the way it's always been in America and the way it needs to stay.

Wash. boy, 9, to be charged in shooting of girl, 8 - CBS News

To those very few of you who have shown the courage to break from the mob with the torches and give this issue the reflective thought it demands, you have my respect and thanks. May the rest of you be somehow saved from yourselves.

Good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Status: "crusty" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Hunkering down atop Shasta
6,636 posts, read 6,193,898 times
Reputation: 5024
Yes, CrownVic, children and adults too have accidents and often die from them. That's why driving should be against the law. Car accidents cause way more fatalities than gun accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 21,044,193 times
Reputation: 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I had a pretty impressive record for wise choices before deciding to challenge the gun nut mentality in another thread a few days ago.

I knew, of course, that there would be some blow-back. But surely, I thought, there would be at least a 50-50 balance by those who can think past their nose and understand the source and the cause of this kind of headline appearing in our news almost every day. This is the world you create and ensure with your close-minded lock-step adherence to your childhood teachings of the way it's always been in America and the way it needs to stay.

Wash. boy, 9, to be charged in shooting of girl, 8 - CBS News

To those very few of you who have shown the courage to break from the mob with the torches and give this issue the reflective thought it demands, you have my respect and thanks. May the rest of you be somehow saved from yourselves.

Good day
Translation: "I'm concerned that I may lose face by defending a ridiculous and untenable position, therefore, I will bow out with a meager insult hurled in the general direction of the godless masses beyond the boundaries of my very high cost-of-living-index metropolis before I get exposed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
 
Location: San Diego
17,250 posts, read 13,397,142 times
Reputation: 6082
Using words like barbarism won't gain you any fanfare regardless of your audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,587 posts, read 3,788,202 times
Reputation: 4068
Amazing. He simply ignores huge piles of evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95
I had a pretty impressive record for wise choices

At least, he certainly impressed himself, if no one else!

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 02-23-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top