U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "You don't need a gun, if you make wise choices in life"
I agree with this statement. 41 14.75%
I disagree with this statement. 237 85.25%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 AM

17,850 posts, read 20,177,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Carry a gun if you think you need it. I mean, what else can you say?

Certainly if you're making certain decisions, you might need heat more than others. But the overwhelming majority of people go along just fine without a gun.

I don't want to carry a gun. That's not to say that i can't run into a situation in which one would be handy. But for the most part, i have a good nose for trouble and how to stay out of it.
Staying out of trouble is always preferable, but sometimes trouble comes looking for you. I am not referring to "bad" neighborhoods either. What most would deem to be a "bad" neighborhood, I have had no problems and no need to be armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 AM

30,828 posts, read 31,668,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is exactly what Timothy Tredwell thought they were. It did not turn out so well for him or his girlfriend did it?
We don't have any grizzlies on the island, just black bears and cougars, but I would be more than a bit nervous if I had a close encounter with one. A 44 magnum would be handy in that case.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
We don't have any grizzlies on the island, just black bears and cougars, but I would be more than a bit nervous if I had a close encounter with one. A 44 magnum would be handy in that case.
Unfortunately, the brown bears and people are after the same resource - salmon. That is never a good combination. In addition to my Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun with a rifled barrel and loaded with .65 cal. slugs, I also carry a Ruger .44 Super Redhawk as backup. It is difficult to cast while carrying a shot-gun, but I am always wearing the .44 mag. whenever I fish the rivers and streams.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 AM

50,063 posts, read 26,528,397 times
Quote:
Staying out of trouble is always preferable, but sometimes trouble comes looking for you. I am not referring to "bad" neighborhoods either. What most would deem to be a "bad" neighborhood, I have had no problems and no need to be armed.
Fair enough.

But just the same, i'd prefer to not walk around with a gun even though i live in a state where i could just buy one easily and carry it around sans permit so long as i don't have a felony. Moreover, i really don't plan on shooting anyone anyway. Don't want that on my conscience.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Fair enough.

But just the same, i'd prefer to not walk around with a gun even though i live in a state where i could just buy one easily and carry it around sans permit so long as i don't have a felony. Moreover, i really don't plan on shooting anyone anyway. Don't want that on my conscience.
I also prefer not to carry a firearm, unless I feel it is necessary. When I am walking around East Los Angeles, Compton, or Watts, I do not feel it is necessary to be armed. However, when I am anywhere in the bush in Alaska, I feel it is absolutely necessary to be heavily armed at all times.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:34 AM

16,885 posts, read 13,000,772 times
Quote:
I also prefer not to carry a firearm, unless I feel it is necessary. When I am walking around East Los Angeles, Compton, or Watts, I do not feel it is necessary to be armed. However, when I am anywhere in the bush in Alaska, I feel it is absolutely necessary to be heavily armed at all times.

I prefer to be carrying anytime I can, whether it is at home, at home or around and about in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 AM

36,489 posts, read 15,983,293 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

Have you ever seen this?

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp What the Second Amendment is REALLY For - Suzanna, Gratia-Hupp, What, the, Second, Amendment, is, REALLY, For, 2nd, amendment, protect, our, God-given, right, to, keep, and, bear, arms - sureYnot.com for whistle blowers, truth see

Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,395,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I haven't owned guns, since I quit hunting in 1978, and have no need for them, but of course I don't live in a violent paranoid society.
So you're saying you live on a private island by yourself?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM

6,156 posts, read 4,138,191 times
Would the purchase of a gun constitute one of those "wise choices" in life? If so perhaps I can reconsider my earlier position.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,830,535 times
This testimony is pretty old, but it was powerful. The incident she lived through was in Kileen, Tx. I remember it as though it were yesterday. The people in that restaurant were sitting ducks and had no chance to defend themselves. Before the police could get there, there were a lot of people dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or