Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM

779 posts, read 535,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
As was mentioned in post #70, what about those who later in life become physically or mentally handicapped and can't wash themselves?
Can that person wash their feet and pits? Should we cut them off too, just to save him the trouble in case he becomes disabled at some point? Why is all the focus on the genitals? I find the obsession with the foreskin more than mildly disturbing. Should we circumcise women too, in case they become disabled one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM

24,480 posts, read 33,166,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
So, I should mutilate my son's penis on the off chance that when he reaches old age he may have difficulty cleaning himself? That's honestly a ridiculous position to take.
It's not "mutilation," it's an accepted, legitimate medical procedure.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Can that person wash their feet and pits? Should we cut them off too, just to save him the trouble in case he becomes disabled at some point?
Why have it more difficult, though?

Quote:
Why is all the focus on the genitals?
Don't know. Maybe you should ask the OP.

Quote:
I find the obsession with the foreskin more than mildly disturbing.
You may be right; I'm glad I don't have an obsession about it. However, discussing the subject here doesn't really make it an obsession.

Quote:
Should we circumcise women too, in case they become disabled one day?
Not the same thing; try to stay on topic.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
We don't get a choice after our parents decided to do it to us, so your whole rant is really based on a false premise.

Also, you "prefer" cut because it's what you are used to. If you lived outside the US, you'd probably feel the exact opposite, so pardon me if I don't find your aesthetics argument very compelling.
um, how do you infer that I am 'ranting' in my post? Actually I was very calm and collected when I composed that post, thank you.

And it doesn't really matter if you find my argument compelling, it is not my job to sway you. If you don't want to do it, then fine (how many times need i repeat this?) this is an opinion board, and I'm putting my opinion out there.

I prefer cut because I like it. Doesn't matter on what basis preferences are made, they are what they are.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,195,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
ROFL!! I guess it's all perspective, because from where I stand, there's more people ranting and raving about the "barbaric" practice than those who are doing it.

As far as choice goes.. I don't know how to explain being a parent to you any more than I already have. Parents can't leave every decision up to the child until their grown or they wouldn't make it to adulthood in the first place.

Do you have children? If you do, do you not decide what they eat, where they sleep, what school (or not) they go to, to vaccinate or not, when to take them to a doctor, when to cut their hair? There are more decisions we parents make for our children than not, why would I suddenly stop making that decision on something so significant as my child's health??
The health angle is a non-starter. It just is. It's not necessary to leave "every little thing" up to the child. But can we agree to not permanently alter/mutilate a child's genitals? If I decide to tattoo my infant, is that okay with you? How about that mother not too long ago who allowed her son to get a tattoo in his brother's honor. Were you okay with that?

And again, you said that you were all about ALL things pro choice. Are you now changing your position?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of opinions.. I'd be interested in what the opinions are of the adult males who have for whatever reason had the circumcision procedure done in later life..What would be your response if some one now asked for a yea or nay response concerning the decision for their child what would you advise?.
I know of a former co-worker who had it done when he was about 30 years old. The reason was because his wife complained about pain during you-know-what.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
um, how do you infer that I am 'ranting' in my post? Actually I was very calm and collected when I composed that post, thank you.

And it doesn't really matter if you find my argument compelling, it is not my job to sway you. If you don't want to do it, then fine (how many times need i repeat this?) this is an opinion board, and I'm putting my opinion out there.

I prefer cut because I like it. Doesn't matter on what basis preferences are made, they are what they are.
It sounded ranty to me. That's an opinion, and as you have pointed out, this is an opinion board.

As for the rest of your biased rant, you prefer cut because it's what you know and you've been raised under the false societal supposition that uncut = "unclean".

Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
As was mentioned in post #70, what about those who later in life become physically or mentally handicapped and can't wash themselves?
So we should mutilate a newborn's genitals on the off chance that they become incapacitated later in life? My son will have at least 40 decades of adulthood to make this decision all on his own. It does not have to be decided within the first few hours of his birth.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Why have it more difficult, though?

Don't know. Maybe you should ask the OP.

You may be right; I'm glad I don't have an obsession about it. However, discussing the subject here doesn't really make it an obsession.

Not the same thing; try to stay on topic.
Chopping off flesh seems obsessive to me. Women have personal hygiene issues too, yet we don't chop off their labia in case they become disabled some day, so spare me the wannabe moderator BS about remaining on topic.

Face it, your argument about disabled men is a ridiculous justification.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It's not "mutilation," it's an accepted, legitimate medical procedure.
So is female circumcision in some parts of Africa. Do you consider that mutilation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies