U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM

780 posts, read 460,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And you've touched a nerve...how?
Well golly, you're still whining, several posts and several pages later, about the terminology I used. Sounds like a touched nerve to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Aha, glad to hear you've decided to believe me regarding my parents' occupation. And Appealling to Authority is not always an invalid argument. It would be a fallacy if, say, my parents were astrophysicists or prominent elected officials. Asserting that because people of those professions are highly regarded then they must be correct regarding their approach to circumcision is deceptive and would be irrelevant to the conversation.

But my parents aren't astrophysicists or prominent elected officials. They're medical doctors and, thus, their authority is relevant to the topic.
Uh-huh.

And... "I have a gay friend who says...", and "I have a black friend who says..."

You're apparently are unable to make a strong case of your own, so you appeal to authority. It's quite obvious. The fact that you are still carrying on, trying to convince me that mommy and daddy are MDs, and are apparently both experts on circumcision, speaks volumes!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 PM

10,788 posts, read 10,202,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Well golly, you're still whining, several posts and several pages later, about the terminology I used. Sounds like a touched nerve to me...
Now I am e-whining because I responded to your post directed at me. Haha. Ok. And for what reason would I be whining, hm? How about you? You are still blathering, and will probably continue to blather well into the night. You'll probably respond to this post too, because the rule of thumb for every e-"debate" is to one up someone and get the last word.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Now I am e-whining because I responded to your post directed at me. Haha. Ok. And for what reason would I be whining, hm? How about you? You are still blathering, and will probably continue to blather well into the night. You'll probably respond to this post too, because the rule of thumb for every e-"debate" is to one up someone and get the last word.
Were you looking into a mirror when you wrote this?

Log, speck, all that.

Look, I get it, you don't like what I have to say, but that's no reason to continue to drag this thread off-topic with your obsessive need to get the last word in. Speaking of that, and in the interest of not clogging up this thread with more of your righteous indignation, have your last word, amigo!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,242,465 times
Quote:
Uh-huh.

And... "I have a gay friend who says...", and "I have a black friend who says..."

You're apparently are unable to make a strong case of your own, so you appeal to authority. It's quite obvious. The fact that you are still carrying on, trying to convince me that mommy and daddy are MDs, and are apparently both experts on circumcision, speaks volumes!
Where did UnexpectedError make it a point to suggest his parents were experts on circumcision? Though I should think most doctors ARE experts when it comes to medical procedures like circumcision, at least compared to most people who aren't doctors.

And what about you? Could it not also be said that you're apparently unable to make a strong case, so you resort to accusing someone else of lying? I think so.

Why would he lie about that, anyway. We all know that many doctors say circumcision prevents or reduces the risk of several health problems. So it's not like he has any incentive to create a doctor who approves of it.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,673,272 times
Quote:
Uh-huh.

And my sister and my bosses. Of course I would appeal to a medical authority regarding a medical manner. It would be foolish not to. And while I don't have the proper sampling size for a swaying poll, the CDC seems to agree there are some promising health benefits to circumcision.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Where did UnexpectedError make it a point to suggest his parents were experts on circumcision? Though I should think most doctors ARE experts when it comes to medical procedures like circumcision, at least compared to most people who aren't doctors.

And what about you? Could it not also be said that you're apparently unable to make a strong case, so you resort to accusing someone else of lying? I think so.

Why would he lie about that, anyway. We all know that many doctors say circumcision prevents or reduces the risk of several health problems. So it's not like he has any incentive to create a doctor who approves of it.
It is normally done by pediatricians and/or urologists. Should I take advice on a leaking head-gasket from the guy who is rotating my tires?

I don't believe him; it's a classic appeal to authority move that we see all the time on here. Guess you're just going to have to live with it, because I won't be changing my mind. Sorry about that, guy.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 PM

10,788 posts, read 10,202,055 times
Quote:
Look, I get it, you don't like what I have to say, but that's no reason to continue to drag this thread off-topic with your obsessive need to get the last word in. Speaking of that, and in the interest of not clogging up this thread with more of your righteous indignation, have your last word, amigo!
Actually what is it you were trying to say again? Oh yeah...little Bill got snipped and all these years later, you're still pissed. Hence, it compels you to respond vehemently to just about everyone's post and drive the message home, even though the take-home message is um, nada.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And my sister and my bosses. Of course I would appeal to a medical authority regarding a medical manner. It would be foolish not to. And while I don't have the proper sampling size for a swaying poll, the CDC seems to agree there are some promising health benefits to circumcision.
Yet they also say that the benefits aren't great enough to actually recommend doing it. Funny that!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Actually what is it you were trying to say again? Oh yeah...little Bill got snipped and all these years later, you're still pissed. Hence, it compels you to respond vehemently to just about everyone's post and drive the message home, even though the take-home message is um, nada.
I'm not pissed, it is what it is and it would be silly of me to be pissed about something I can't change, I just think it's stupid to give into societal pressure which bases it's "correctness" on myths about STDs, cleanliness, and the like. Some kids never wipe their noses, let's cut that nose off! Some people contract herpes orally, lets remove their lips when they are born! Makes about as much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies