U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,671,404 times

Advertisements

Recently found out my boyfriend was circumcised as a teenager for medical purposes. He says you circumcised guys who are resentful of your parents aren't missing anything. It's really not that big of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM

428 posts, read 399,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It has been proven over and over circumcision helps prevent infection.
So does washing with soap and water. If washing is good enough for female genitalia, then it's good enough for males.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
So does washing with soap and water. If washing is good enough for female genitalia, then it's good enough for males.
They may have been referring to the spread of STIs and HIV. Uncircumcised penises spread infection more easily than circumcised ones.

And I know, I know, responsible condom use and safe sex and education blah blah blah would be even better at preventing the spread of disease, but if they were sufficiently effective then we would have eliminated sexually transmitted diseases long ago.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
They may have been referring to the spread of STIs and HIV. Uncircumcised penises spread infection more easily than circumcised ones.

And I know, I know, responsible condom use and safe sex and education blah blah blah would be even better at preventing the spread of disease, but if they were sufficiently effective then we would have eliminated sexually transmitted diseases long ago.
We would have eliminated STDs if people were ROUTINELY practicing safe sex. Irresponsibility is the sole cause for the spread of disease.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,937,454 times
Reading this thread is great. I'm so glad my parents had me circumcised and I love them even more for it.

(Waiting for the anti-circumcision folks to come out and say "But you don't know what you're missing because you never had an extra foreskin...") 3... 2... 1....

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,838,765 times
Quote:
Isn't it just basic hygiene?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
We would have eliminated STDs if people were ROUTINELY practicing safe sex. Irresponsibility is the sole cause for the spread of disease.
Okay. We haven't yet found a way to tide the spread of irresponsible behavior but circumcision happens to be a convenient way to decrease the spread in STIs.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 AM

428 posts, read 399,852 times
Quote:

Ah, I see. Hmm, when my husband and I made the decision to keep our son intact, that teensy increased risk of spreading STDs was barely on our minds. For us, teaching our kids about the importance of safe sex practices makes more of an impact on their sexual health. I would hope all parents, regardless of their son's penis having a foreskin or not, talk to their children about these kinds of things.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Quote:
Okay. We haven't yet found a way to tide the spread of irresponsible behavior but circumcision happens to be a convenient way to decrease the spread in STIs.
No, cleanliness is. You can't blame an uncircumcised penis for something that is the fault of people with bad hygiene.

Circumcision is the easy way out. Parents are too lazy to teach their sons how to wash themselves properly.

Oh, and female genitalia can carry bacteria, infections, disease, and often have a bad odor when not thoroughly cleaned. Let's start mutilating little girls, too.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see. Hmm, when my husband and I made the decision to keep our son intact, that teensy increased risk of spreading STDs was barely on our minds. For us, teaching our kids about the importance of safe sex practices makes more of an impact on their sexual health. I would hope all parents, regardless of their son's penis having a foreskin or not, talk to their children about these kinds of things.
Indeed, and I think there are valid reasons not to choose circumcision as well as valid reasons to go forth with the procedure and specific reasons to do so during infancy.

I just don't like people trying to stigmatize circumcision as mutilation. The penis remains fully functional and sensitive to sexual stimulation and most men are perfectly happy being circumcised (and I suspect most uncircumcised men are also happy with the state of their penis). But if the procedure could become more popular at birth in parts of the world plagued by HIV then it could make a huge difference in the quality of life of those individuals and communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies