U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,674,952 times
Reputation: 5581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But like I was saying a few pages back, I'm glad that circumcision appears to be growing less and less popular. I'm hoping it's because people are educating themselves and realizing that, when it comes to circumcision, the end doesn't justify the means. Removing a natural part of the body for an inconsequential amount of "benefit" is utter stupidity. Period. And I have no doubt that the prevalence of the procedure is driven by cosmetic reasons mostly.

I can tell that I'm simply beating a dead horse with you, here, so this is where I'll leave it.
I've said a lot about how it's beneficial, why don't you tell me the downsides? Anything other than you consider it unnecessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,815,329 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Oh, wait, I was wrong. Circumcision is in no way mutilation. According to the medical dictionary:

mu·ti·la·tion (mytl-shn)n. Disfigurement or injury by removal or destruction of a conspicuous or essential part of the body.

The foreskin is neither conspicuous nor essential.
I don't think you know what conspicuous means. Foreskin clearly is, as removal of it alters the appearance of the penis.

Whether or not it is essential depends on who you talk to. Cut and uncut men everywhere have differing opinions on it, ranging from indifferent to strongly for or against either. A woman's opinion is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,385 posts, read 27,597,604 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
We call it mutilation because it is mutilation. If I've convinced someone not to circumcise, then my job is done.
Once again, it is not "mutilation," it is an accepted and legitimate medical procedure. Your job will never be done if you keep using that word to describe circumcision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 9,884,876 times
Reputation: 22750
I think it's acceptable if the parents wish it done; however, it's not something I chose for my sons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: USA
19,850 posts, read 14,730,278 times
Reputation: 12792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Sounds like a pig-headed position, to me. Even after you've been told that the procedure isn't recommended by physicians, UnexpectedError still thinks they know better. Thank God you aren't a doctor.

Like you, I only deal with facts, and the fact is that circumcision is mutilation.
Just like tonsul removal or removal of a mole. If you are a woman you have no dog in this fight anyway. The overwhelming majority of men including me that are uncircumcised are more than fine with it. We like it! It's people like you that have a problem with it. I have no problems with uncircumcised men and they should have no problems with my choice.

I like it because of aesthetics, it's cleaner and I last longer during sex. If it keeps 5% of the population from having issues all the better: All positives. Whats the down side? Maybe if I was from Africa or Europe I would have the opposite opinion, but growing up American I would like it to remain the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 9,884,876 times
Reputation: 22750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Just like tonsul removal or removal of a mole. If you are a woman you have no dog in this fight anyway. The overwhelming majority of men including me that are uncircumcised are more than fine with it. We like it! It's people like you that have a problem with it. I have no problems with uncircumcised men and they should have no problems with my choice.

I like it because of aesthetics, it's cleaner and I last longer during sex. If it keeps 5% of the population from having issues all the better: All positives. Whats the down side? Maybe if I was from Africa or Europe I would have the opposite opinion, but growing up American I would like it to remain the way it is.
How would you know? Were you circumcized after becoming sexually active?

Last edited by randomparent; 02-22-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: USA
19,850 posts, read 14,730,278 times
Reputation: 12792
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How would you know? Were you circumcized as an adult after becoming sexually active?
From the 1000s of posts on CD that have discussed this topic again and again. I have no problems with uncircumsized men but if the pro un-circ people keep trying to justify their point I will bring up all of the counter arguements of being trimmed, and there are many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,843,252 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm glad I was 'un-cut', because personally I think they should not. The foreskin is part of the human anatomy, and circumcision is almost a form of multilation. I don't buy the supposed 'health benefits' which most medical professionals refute (most stick to it for personal or sometimes religious reasons, especially Muslims and Jews). Removing the foreskin has also been shown to reduce sexual pleasure, which would be a bit of a bummer. Anyway, if the boy or maybe man decides to have the procedure done for any reason it is easily done with anaesthetic. It is, practically speaking, not possible to reverse circumcision.
Believe me it does not reduce sexual pleasure and is healthier as bacteria cannot sit within a foreskin...... which it does.

It's not as extreme as female circumcision, obviously, but I just feel it's a violation of someone's person to modify their body like that, with them having no say in it.
Many men who have had to have circumcission when older due to problems realise that having a circumcission at birth is a much much better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
 
2,093 posts, read 3,938,871 times
Reputation: 1094
This thread is hilarious. I can't believe how much it bothers the folks who are adamantly against circumcision in general. It's not even a topic of when the act should be performed, but it's an argument about the pros and cons of cut vs. uncut.

Ladies, you don't have a dog in this fight. Sorry.

Edit to add: I know some of the ladies here are parents and I respect that. But, keep your personal views on the issue limited to your family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,916,390 times
Reputation: 12178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
From the 1000s of posts on CD that have discussed this topic again and again. I have no problems with uncircumsized men but if the pro un-circ people keep trying to justify their point I will bring up all of the counter arguements of being trimmed, and there are many.
"Just because" is a poor way to make an argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
No? Like I said, someone else already posted a link showing the inverse correlation between circumcision and HIV rates in Africa and Asia. Are you suggesting that what is true for African and Asian penises isn't true for American and European penises? Are the biology of Western genitals somehow different? And I'm not sure what Sweden has to do with anything? Do they have some reasoning behind trying to ban circumcision?
Sweden is one of the developed nations where doctors aren't relying and getting along with myths such as the ones you maintain. Hence I said, your argument resembled that of the Muslim cleric who opposed the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wrong.
You wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top