U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,541 posts, read 3,661,668 times
Reputation: 1286

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
This thread is hilarious. I can't believe how much it bothers the folks who are adamantly against circumcision in general. It's not even a topic of when the act should be performed, but it's an argument about the pros and cons of cut vs. uncut.

Ladies, you don't have a dog in this fight. Sorry.

Edit to add: I know some of the ladies here are parents and I respect that. But, keep your personal views on the issue limited to your family members.
I don't think the anti-circ people are against circumcision in general. Instead, the position is: let the child/young adult male decide.

You say that ladies have no dog in this fight, yet many men choose the circumcision route and/or are insecure about their uncirc penis because they care about what women want/think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,286,567 times
Reputation: 1954
It's probably already been said, but circumcision reduces the already small liklihood of penile cancer as well as the contraction of STDs (the membrane of the foreskin is much more malleable) It also make hygeine much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,934,850 times
Reputation: 12178
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It's probably already been said, but circumcision reduces the already small liklihood of penile cancer as well as the contraction of STDs (the membrane of the foreskin is much more malleable) It also make hygeine much easier.
BS. Or, perhaps we should start eliminating body parts prone to cancer and other problems at childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
 
2,093 posts, read 3,940,751 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I don't think the anti-circ people are against circumcision in general. Instead, the position is: let the child/young adult male decide.

You say that ladies have no dog in this fight, yet many men choose the circumcision route and/or are insecure about their uncirc penis because they care about what women want/think.
That's what the debaters want the argument to appear as, but I can see right through it. It's really about the pros and cons of being cut or uncut. Otherwise, people from both sides wouldn't be citing sources about the health benefits and risks.

At this point, I'm more inclined to believe that everybody wants to have the last word no matter what side they are on. I'm guilty of it, so this will really be my last post in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,286,567 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
BS. Or, perhaps we should start eliminating body parts prone to cancer and other problems at childhood.
Like we do with tonsils, appendices, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:34 PM
 
Location: USA
19,872 posts, read 14,751,398 times
Reputation: 12800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I don't think the anti-circ people are against circumcision in general. Instead, the position is: let the child/young adult male decide.

You say that ladies have no dog in this fight, yet many men choose the circumcision route and/or are insecure about their uncirc penis because they care about what women want/think.
"let the child/young adult male decide."
No way, much easier when you can't remember

"women want/think"
Of course. The Ladies much prefer it that way, so why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
1,075 posts, read 824,619 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This is an ad nauseam argument anyway. This thread will probably hit 500 posts with the same exact point/counterpoints again and again.
Couldn't rep you again for this. That's why I stopped posting. When no matter how many sources you can come up with for reputable studies and institutions saying that something is not only a good thing, but neccessary in keeping a child safe from so many various diseases, and there is little to no ill effect on the child...and those against keep coming back with the exact same baseless and mostly unsupported arguments.... it gets boring. LOL! I'm just glad to see that circumcision is not ever going to be banned anywhere (except crazy San Francisco) and parents will continue to do what's best for their own families, whatever that is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,541 posts, read 3,661,668 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"let the child/young adult male decide."
No way, much easier when you can't remember

"women want/think"
Of course. The Ladies much prefer it that way, so why not.
Can't remember doesn't mean it was easier.

Also, lots of women prefer men with a large penis. If you don't have one, having it circumcised won't save you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,541 posts, read 3,661,668 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Couldn't rep you again for this. That's why I stopped posting. When no matter how many sources you can come up with for reputable studies and institutions saying that something is not only a good thing, but neccessary in keeping a child safe from so many various diseases, and there is little to no ill effect on the child...and those against keep coming back with the exact same baseless and mostly unsupported arguments.... it gets boring. LOL! I'm just glad to see that circumcision is not ever going to be banned anywhere (except crazy San Francisco) and parents will continue to do what's best for their own families, whatever that is!
Even your own sources are vague: "might help prevent" "potentially has benefits". Not exactly hard-hitting evidence. Most medical authorities are neutral on this topic and discussing circumcision and the HIV rate in Africa is an absurd tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
 
Location: USA
19,872 posts, read 14,751,398 times
Reputation: 12800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Even your own sources are vague: "might help prevent" "potentially has benefits". Not exactly hard-hitting evidence. Most medical authorities are neutral on this topic and discussing circumcision and the HIV rate in Africa is an absurd tactic.
Why not, are they not worth it? If it prevented infection and disease in even 1% of the population it would save thousands of lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Can't remember doesn't mean it was easier.

Also, lots of women prefer men with a large penis. If you don't have one, having it circumcised won't save you.
I guess the extra skin hanging there adds some volume, but I'm happy with my size and besides I have a great looking one. I have heard a woman on here saying it felt better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top