U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 AM
 
14,920 posts, read 11,134,860 times
Reputation: 4828

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Why not just take care of it ahead of time? You are the parent and you decide how to raise your child. Thankfully there are some parents who still believe in parenting.
Because I find it to be a gross violation of that man's rights. Nobody should have the ability, or "right", to permanently remove perfectly healthy and functioning parts of my body except for me. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,830,503 times
Reputation: 12162
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
It is part of a religious ceremony. if the parents want to do it, then so be it.
So, child marriage, "sati" (look it up), other forms of mutilation etc, in the name of religious ceremony would be a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,410 posts, read 52,413,699 times
Reputation: 70383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. It doesn't matter whether you "don't buy" the health benefits, they are well established by research.
."
This is the giant myth that is being passed around. It's so sad people are using lies to promote their agenda and they have a great deal of the population buying it.
Even the AAP doesn't believe there is enough good research to recommend routine circumcision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,410 posts, read 52,413,699 times
Reputation: 70383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Why not just take care of it ahead of time? You are the parent and you decide how to raise your child. Thankfully there are some parents who still believe in parenting.
The std portion of this conversation is INSANELY comical as the U.S. has higher circumcision rates and HIGHER STD rates than many European countries. Clearly, circumcision is not the way to lowering std rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
 
4,126 posts, read 4,453,699 times
Reputation: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
I can see infant circumcision being done if it is medically necessary and also it's still routine in some parts of the US, a part of culture, so I won't say ban it. Education is what I propose. I know, personally, educating ourselves about circumcision is what stopped my husband and I from having it done to our son. It was a little nerve-wracking going against the grain, especially when our pediatrician strongly frowned upon us not getting it done. But that was years ago and our son is doing just fine with his foreskin.

Excuse my ignorance but under what circumstances would one need to perform an emergency circumcision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
 
6,608 posts, read 6,797,384 times
Reputation: 9979
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is the giant myth that is being passed around. It's so sad people are using lies to promote their agenda and they have a great deal of the population buying it.
Even the AAP doesn't believe there is enough good research to recommend routine circumcision.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't insurance companies started dropping routine circumcision from policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Jersey
870 posts, read 1,255,003 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't insurance companies started dropping routine circumcision from policies?
Im not sure about private companies, 4 yrs ago our private insurance paid for it. But 5 yrs ago my sisters son wasnt covered by medicaid in NC for it. So it appears that Medicaid has stopped paying for it in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
 
Location: NC USA
3,384 posts, read 4,082,309 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The std portion of this conversation is INSANELY comical as the U.S. has higher circumcision rates and HIGHER STD rates than many European countries. Clearly, circumcision is not the way to lowering std rates.
So you are going to argue with the CDC on this? Please provide us with your personal research.

I wonder how much higher it would be too without all of the non-circumcised penises.

Now that is comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM
 
Location: NC USA
3,384 posts, read 4,082,309 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Because I find it to be a gross violation of that man's rights. Nobody should have the ability, or "right", to permanently remove perfectly healthy and functioning parts of my body except for me. Period.
So parents don't have the right to make a decision regarding their child? That is what you are saying. How very Orwellian of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,410 posts, read 52,413,699 times
Reputation: 70383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So you are going to argue with the CDC on this? Please provide us with your personal research.

I wonder how much higher it would be too without all of the non-circumcised penises.

Now that is comical.
The United States has an HIV rate of 0.6. Germany is 0.1. Finland is 0.1. Ireland is 0.2. The US has 3 to 6 times as many HIV cases per capita even though our men are mainly circumcised and theirs are not. Where is the disease prevention in those statistics?

Btw, learn how to put studies into context and I'll continue conversing with you.

p.s. I'll put my medical degree up against your inability to deal with the fact that you were violated against your will (so you defend the practice instead) any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top