Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
No, they were not invalidated. The pain and suffering of the girls who are circumcised are FAR FAR greater than the miniscule amount of pain that is suffered by a baby boy. There is a HUGE difference between ACTUAL abuse and doing something mildly painful for the good of a child. You don't have to agree with me though. Don't care if you do or don't, but you do have to stay out of my families business.
How do you know this? It's amazing that people say that circumcision is not painful for babies. Does being a baby exempt you from feeling pain? How convenient that you're unwilling patient can't talk to voice their displeasure at the procedure.

If that's the case, perhaps I should get my son/daughter's tattoos now so that they can avoid the pain later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Funny, I just had my son circumcised yesterday. It's not a moral or religious obligation, in my view. There should be complete freedom in this.

However, for my family, there are definite advantages.

1. Health benefits. They aren't terribly critical, but they do exist.
2. Hygiene. The circumcised organ is easier to clean. And it's easier to maintain cleanliness.
3. Culture. It's the American thing to do. Harmless cultural peculiarities are a good thing.
4. Chastity. It's easier to avoid unwanted stimulation.
Honestly, these are terrible reasons. Just..........terrible.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I also wanted to add as these non circumcised men aged and could no longer take care of themselves it created more and more problems. I also worked in Skilled Nursing Facilities and some of these poor aged men came to our facilities with lots of health problems, painful strictures and chronic UTI's being the most prevelent. By the time they got to us, they were a real mess and often had to have very painful surgery at a time when they were already confused and didn't understand what was going on.
So, I should mutilate my son's penis on the off chance that when he reaches old age he may have difficulty cleaning himself? That's honestly a ridiculous position to take.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Yes, I think parents should have the right. Just like they should have the right NOT to circumsize their male child. Personally, I'm not a fan of the uncut look, and I've dealt with both. I'm definitely happy that my husband is circumsized.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Also in my dating experience, I have met not one male who felt saddened by the removal of their beloved foreskin. On the contrary, the fellas I've known actually preferred not having a saggy piece of skin covering their member. Of course, for those who do not live in the United States, having the foreskin is just a way of life...just like it's a way of life here to not have one. Doesn't really matter either way. I don't particularly think it's cool to think Americans are so weird/unusual because they do not follow the cultural norms of other countries. You have your sausage covering, that's good. Many Americans do not, and I'm sure the ones that have had them removed aren't crying about it. Just like the people who are uncut aren't boo-hooing over having to deal with penis management.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Just a quick google search turned this up on page 1:

Circumcision Guards Against STDs

"In a study of more than 5,000 uncircumcised adult Ugandan males, researchers found that after circumcision, the rates of infection with the virus that causes herpes went down by 28 percent, and the transmission of human papillomavirus (HPV) -- the virus that can cause cervical cancer and genital warts -- was reduced by 35 percent.

In a previous study, the same researchers found that circumcision reduced infection with the HIV virus by 60 percent. Two other research groups -- one working in Kenya and the other in South Africa -- have also had similar findings."

Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Funny, I just had my son circumcised yesterday. It's not a moral or religious obligation, in my view. There should be complete freedom in this.
And yet you just took his freedom in this area away.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Just a quick google search turned this up on page 1:

Circumcision Guards Against STDs

"In a study of more than 5,000 uncircumcised adult Ugandan males, researchers found that after circumcision, the rates of infection with the virus that causes herpes went down by 28 percent, and the transmission of human papillomavirus (HPV) -- the virus that can cause cervical cancer and genital warts -- was reduced by 35 percent.

In a previous study, the same researchers found that circumcision reduced infection with the HIV virus by 60 percent. Two other research groups -- one working in Kenya and the other in South Africa -- have also had similar findings."
These studies are about sexually active adult males. I don't know many sexually active infants who are at higher risk for contracting HIV or HPV because of their foreskins.

Educate you son about these risks, and when he's an adult (or even a as a minor teenager) he can make the decision whether he wants to chop off HIS foreskin or not. It's his body, his penis, and his perfectly normal, healthy, and functioning foreskin. Whether it's permanently cut off or not should be his decision and his alone.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
No, they were not invalidated. The pain and suffering of the girls who are circumcised are FAR FAR greater than the miniscule amount of pain that is suffered by a baby boy. There is a HUGE difference between ACTUAL abuse and doing something mildly painful for the good of a child. You don't have to agree with me though. Don't care if you do or don't, but you do have to stay out of my families business.
How so? Personal opinion? Besides, if it is a part of religious ceremony, a family's choice, all should be fine. You don't care for doctors' or public opinions after all. Do you?

Quote:
Because, I saw it as a the better option for my children's health.
Based on your personal opinion. Right?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Also in my dating experience, I have met not one male who felt saddened by the removal of their beloved foreskin. On the contrary, the fellas I've known actually preferred not having a saggy piece of skin covering their member.
Just like you think of it no more than just a saggy piece of skin, those who never had the skin, wouldn't know better. Would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies