Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

I'm cut, my son is cut, my dad, grandfather, etc. I don't remember it, its not like its a scarring experience or something. I have a cousin who is a psychiatrist, she hasn't told me of seeing anyone who has told her that "I'm scared from my birth circumcision".

Should you be allowed to do it to your kids when they are 12? Probably not. At birth, should be left up to the parents, do as you like with your own children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm cut, my son is cut, my dad, grandfather, etc. I don't remember it, its not like its a scarring experience or something. I have a cousin who is a psychiatrist, she hasn't told me of seeing anyone who has told her that "I'm scared from my birth circumcision".

Should you be allowed to do it to your kids when they are 12? Probably not. At birth, should be left up to the parents, do as you like with your own children.
Just curious...why does the age distinction matter (12 and newborn)?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Pro-Choice about everything, yet you've robbed your son of the choice to have his foreskin removed. How ironic.
I've taken on the burden of being a parent and making difficult choices for my children's health when they are not capable of doing so. That's what being a parent is. There are LOTS of decisions that I have made the last 18 years that some my sons, will undoubtedly, not be happy with me about and may do something completely different from me when they have kids because of it. And I will support their decisions as parents as they do it. That's what parents do, make hard decisions based on their knowledge and experience... and often times kids grow up to not like those decisions (as is evidenced by some of those posting in this thread have shown). Other decisions they will gladly embrace as the right thing to do for their family. That's life.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Just curious...why does the age distinction matter (12 and newborn)?
Infants don't remember things like that, young kids do. Also, less nerve endings in infants that are developed, so less pain involved.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
They're just rationalizing this tribal, barbaric practice with the 'looks' and 'hygeine' BS. These excuses have no basis in reality.
Please show me a reputable source that shows where hygene is not a rational reason for circumcision?

Through out this thread there have been MANY VERY reputeable sources stating that it is needed, including from the CDC themselves. So where's your rebuttal links and sources?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I can't handle it? How's that? I think everyone has the choice to do what they feel is right for their family.... as long as it actually isn't abusive, then even if I disagree with the decision, it's still their decision.
No, everybody doesn't have the choice to do anything to their child... based on what their "personal" opinion. I said you can't handle it, because you won't support the premise of "right for their family" if it is something you personally disagree with. You've already used word "abusive". One could say, circumcision fits that premise. No? After all, you don't think female circumcision should allowed. Right?

Quote:
I don't really know about the religious reasons for circumcision... don't care about them, not my religion. The only thing I care about is what I deem as neccesary for my children's health. So let's stick with that aspect of it... you can bable on about religion with someone who does it for religious reasons.
There's a lot that can and will go wrong over the life of a child. How do you pick and choose between what you want to go about pre-emptively?

Quote:
Please show me a reputable source that shows where hygene is not a rational reason for circumcision?
You're asking for medical/public opinion on the subject? Is it something you use (you should clarify before the person wastes time coming up with a source)?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
I've taken on the burden of being a parent and making difficult choices for my children's health when they are not capable of doing so. That's what being a parent is. There are LOTS of decisions that I have made the last 18 years that some my sons, will undoubtedly, not be happy with me about and may do something completely different from me when they have kids because of it. And I will support their decisions as parents as they do it. That's what parents do, make hard decisions based on their knowledge and experience... and often times kids grow up to not like those decisions (as is evidenced by some of those posting in this thread have shown). Other decisions they will gladly embrace as the right thing to do for their family. That's life.
Good post, but it has little to do with my challenge of your statement that you are "Pro-Choice about EVERYTHING!!" So......you are except when you aren't?

And I actually think NOT circumcising is the hard choice. It's very easy to just go along with what everyone else is doing.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

How far does the "do as you like with your own children" extend? Just to foreskin? How about a boys nipples - can you cut them off if you like? How about a girls clitoris - not it a barbaric way like done in much of Africa, but by a surgeon in a hospital under anesthesia? How about laser hair removal on your infant so that he or she is entirely bald for life?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
I just asked a doctor, just now, and she said that circumcision greatly reduces the spread of STIs and HIV. I think that alone is reason enough and I hope the practice will become more popular in parts of the world that suffer especially from HIV and AIDS.

And I think it's silly to compare it to female circumcision, since that is done in order to reduce a woman's pleasure and ability to have sex. I've never met a circumcised man who was hurting for more sensitivity in their genitals.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
And why is that, do you think? Do you think that "aesthetics" is a good reason to remove a portion of a person's body? That sounds awfully selfish to me, especially when that person has no say in the decision.
When you can point out to me where in my posts I said that, we might be able to have a discussion. I certainly included the reality of it being a preference to most women, but I never said what you are implying. I am Jewish and a woman and yes, I believe their are valid reasons for the practice for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies