Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,852,610 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I was 'un-cut', because personally I think they should not. The foreskin is part of the human anatomy, and circumcision is almost a form of multilation. I don't buy the supposed 'health benefits' which most medical professionals refute (most stick to it for personal or sometimes religious reasons, especially Muslims and Jews). Removing the foreskin has also been shown to reduce sexual pleasure, which would be a bit of a bummer. Anyway, if the boy or maybe man decides to have the procedure done for any reason it is easily done with anaesthetic. It is, practically speaking, not possible to reverse circumcision.

It's not as extreme as female circumcision, obviously, but I just feel it's a violation of someone's person to modify their body like that, with them having no say in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 AM

428 posts, read 485,330 times
I can see infant circumcision being done if it is medically necessary and also it's still routine in some parts of the US, a part of culture, so I won't say ban it. Education is what I propose. I know, personally, educating ourselves about circumcision is what stopped my husband and I from having it done to our son. It was a little nerve-wracking going against the grain, especially when our pediatrician strongly frowned upon us not getting it done. But that was years ago and our son is doing just fine with his foreskin.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,852,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
I can see infant circumcision being done if it is medically necessary and also it's still routine in some parts of the US, a part of culture, so I won't say ban it. Education is what I propose. I know, personally, educating ourselves about circumcision is what stopped my husband and I from having it done to our son. It was a little nerve-wracking going against the grain, especially when our pediatrician strongly frowned upon us not getting it done. But that was years ago and our son is doing just fine with his foreskin.
I'm glad I wasn't born in the USA . In the West only in the US is circumcision still the norm rather than the exception. Even in the US it only became something of a medical 'fad' about 100 years ago. Previously it was only Jews who practised it. It was something done purely for religious-cultural reason.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,524,467 times
It's a profit center for OB-Gyns and there's no medical justification for it.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,258,555 times
Non issue.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,152,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm glad I was 'un-cut', because personally I think they should not. The foreskin is part of the human anatomy, and circumcision is almost a form of multilation. I don't buy the supposed 'health benefits' which most medical professionals refute (most stick to it for personal or sometimes religious reasons, especially Muslims and Jews). Removing the foreskin has also been shown to reduce sexual pleasure, which would be a bit of a bummer. Anyway, if the boy or maybe man decides to have the procedure done for any reason it is easily done with anaesthetic. It is, practically speaking, not possible to reverse circumcision.

It's not as extreme as female circumcision, obviously, but I just feel it's a violation of someone's person to modify their body like that, with them having no say in it.

It is part of a religious ceremony. if the parents want to do it, then so be it.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,086,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
It is part of a religious ceremony. if the parents want to do it, then so be it.
So whatever might be done due to the fact that it is part of a religious ceremony is OK with you???

Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,337,898 times
Sigh....I worked as a nurse in a small hospital in a general surgical unit. I can't tell you how many adult male circumcisions were performed and according to the men it was excruciatingly painful. They developed strictures, chronic UTI's and a few other related health issues - all would not have happened if they had the procedure as infants. Every single one of those men wished they had been circumcised as infants.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 AM

779 posts, read 535,976 times
No. The child has not consented to body modification, and I think the same thing goes for piercings before a child is old enough to understand.

It's funny how the right-wingers will defend this practice while condemning female circumcision. It is the removal of flesh that is chock-full of nerve endings. "Oh yeah, if we don't circumcise, men wont clean that area!" BULL. You don't cut off our armpits, yet some men still don't bother to wash them. It's an ancient, brutal thing, which is RARELY practiced outside the US.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,640,874 times
It is perfectly acceptable. The health benefits alone which have been proven ad naseum are reason enough to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies