Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Absolutely not. It is utterly unnecessary, the supposed health benefits are tenuous at best, and its removal does away with literally tens of thousands (~20,000 if I remember correctly) of extremely sensitive sexual nerve endings. No parents have the right to mutilate their child's genitals. Only the child in question should have the right to decide such things once they come of age and can make such decisions for themselves. It seems there are way too many people (on this board in particular) that think they have the right to do absolutely anything to their child, simply because it is theirs. It's almost as though they think of their child as a sort of property that they can modify physically and mentally as they see fit, regardless of what effect this might have on the child and possibly on society as a whole. Ridiculous, and damn irresponsible, if you ask me.
My child is my responsibility for taking care of their health and well being. YOU can decide what is best for your child concerning those things, and I can decide what is best for mine. Just because someone SAYS it's bad, doesn't make it so. Every parent makes lots of decisions concerning their child that has potential to be damagin and life threatening. We all (or at least should) take into consideration all the information we have and make the decision that is best for our family. NO ONE has the right to tell us that we've made the wrong decision based on their own family prefrences.

I'm sure there are PLENTY of things you do(or would do) as a parent that I can find not only fault with, but could get absolutely indeignant about. However, I believe YOU as a parent have the right to choose how to raise and care for your child as YOU see fit and it is NONE of my business how you do that!! It's called respect for parental rights. Try not being a busy body when it comes to other people's kids! Or someday you'll be on the receiving end of that and you won't like it! Karma's a *****!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Just because something freaks you out, compared to something similar, doesn't make a bit of a difference in logic. BOTH, circumcision of male and of female is based on religious stupidity. Nothing more, nothing less... "medically healthy" makes for a lame but useful excuse, however. They are pretty much the same in terms of "fully functioning" and "pain", and in that they both result in reduced sensation.
I didn't say anything "freaked me out" I said I was freaking tired of hearing it! Because it's NOT the same. In any way, shape or form. Stay out of my family business and I'll stay out of yours though... it's the parents decision and should always BE the parents decision.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I didn't say anything "freaked me out" I said I was freaking tired of hearing it! Because it's NOT the same. In any way, shape or form. Stay out of my family business and I'll stay out of yours though... it's the parents decision and should always BE the parents decision.
So you'd support ANY and EVERY religion-based deregulation from laws that protect children from whims of the parents? Or, are you going to be picky about it?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm glad I was 'un-cut', because personally I think they should not. The foreskin is part of the human anatomy, and circumcision is almost a form of multilation. I don't buy the supposed 'health benefits' which most medical professionals refute (most stick to it for personal or sometimes religious reasons, especially Muslims and Jews). Removing the foreskin has also been shown to reduce sexual pleasure, which would be a bit of a bummer. Anyway, if the boy or maybe man decides to have the procedure done for any reason it is easily done with anaesthetic. It is, practically speaking, not possible to reverse circumcision.

It's not as extreme as female circumcision, obviously, but I just feel it's a violation of someone's person to modify their body like that, with them having no say in it.
You should revise your poll to include parents who are against vaccinations for children. Do they have that right?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
My child is my responsibility for taking care of their health and well being. YOU can decide what is best for your child concerning those things, and I can decide what is best for mine. Just because someone SAYS it's bad, doesn't make it so. Every parent makes lots of decisions concerning their child that has potential to be damagin and life threatening. We all (or at least should) take into consideration all the information we have and make the decision that is best for our family. NO ONE has the right to tell us that we've made the wrong decision based on their own family prefrences.

I'm sure there are PLENTY of things you do(or would do) as a parent that I can find not only fault with, but could get absolutely indeignant about. However, I believe YOU as a parent have the right to choose how to raise and care for your child as YOU see fit and it is NONE of my business how you do that!! It's called respect for parental rights. Try not being a busy body when it comes to other people's kids! Or someday you'll be on the receiving end of that and you won't like it! Karma's a *****!
Yea, so if breast cancer runs in my family should I amputate my daughters breast early? Do I have that right? People do this for preventive medical reasons, right? What about a family history of ovarian cancer? Using what if's in the name of preventive medical issues isn't a valid reason. If it doesn't apply to all prevention, then it doesn't apply here. Legally a parent could use this in court for their reason of taking off anything on their kids bodies. It shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.
Otherwise it's just a "look a like""socially acceptable" deal. Like piercing a babies ears. You just like the look of it as a parent, doesn't have much to do with junior.
At least admit that, you are just worried about his penis looking different than your friends kids. If nobody did it, and it wasn't a religious issue in your family, would you still do it? I doubt that.
I'll tell you what, half the boys right now are not getting it done, and more will not in the future and I bet in 40 years when it's not a social issue nobody will have it done, clean issue or not, unless your Jewish. We will be like the rest of the world at that point.
If your neighborhood doesn't do it, you won't either. Some of us lead the pack, some of us just follow it. It's on it's way out as common practice despite it all. There will be fewer and fewer circumcised men until you can tell what religion you are by looking down there.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You should revise your poll to include parents who are against vaccinations for children. Do they have that right?
You know the funny thing is I bet it will be the circumcised ones saying no to that right and the uncircumcised ones saying yes.
It never follows logic, it just follows majority. We are run by the Jone's.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So you'd support ANY and EVERY religion-based deregulation from laws that protect children from whims of the parents? Or, are you going to be picky about it?
I already pointed out the difference between female and male cicumcisions. So yes, I"ll be "picky about it" because the difference is one is abusive and the other is not. One causes continuous pain and is for the purposes of control, where the other does not cause much pain (if any at all) and is for health and sanitary reasons. See how one is abusive on many levels and the other is not??

in simpler terms:
Abuse is bad and wrong and no abuse is good and ok!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Better when a baby than when a teen.
Heck of a lot cheaper as well..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I already pointed out the difference between female and male cicumcisions. So yes, I"ll be "picky about it" because the difference is one is abusive and the other is not. One causes continuous pain and is for the purposes of control, where the other does not cause much pain (if any at all) and is for health and sanitary reasons. See how one is abusive on many levels and the other is not??

in simpler terms:
Abuse is bad and wrong and no abuse is good and ok!
In other words, you're being a hypocrite. You want others out of your family but you sure would poke your nose into others.

BTW, your "differences" were invalidated. Both, male and female, circumcision lose nerve endings (hence some sensory deprivation) and neither prevents normal functions. Sensory deprivation is the ultimate reason behind circumcision... something religious zealots are into.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Sigh....I worked as a nurse in a small hospital in a general surgical unit. I can't tell you how many adult male circumcisions were performed and according to the men it was excruciatingly painful. They developed strictures, chronic UTI's and a few other related health issues - all would not have happened if they had the procedure as infants. Every single one of those men wished they had been circumcised as infants.
I also wanted to add as these non circumcised men aged and could no longer take care of themselves it created more and more problems. I also worked in Skilled Nursing Facilities and some of these poor aged men came to our facilities with lots of health problems, painful strictures and chronic UTI's being the most prevelent. By the time they got to us, they were a real mess and often had to have very painful surgery at a time when they were already confused and didn't understand what was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies